Plasticity of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster) wood-forming tissues during a growing season
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 4, pages 1180–1194, September 2008
How to Cite
Paiva, J. A. P., Garnier-Géré, P. H., Rodrigues, J. C., Alves, A., Santos, S., Graça, J., Le Provost, G., Chaumeil, P., Da Silva-Perez, D., Bosc, A., Fevereiro, P. and Plomion, C. (2008), Plasticity of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster) wood-forming tissues during a growing season. New Phytologist, 179: 1180–1194. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02536.x
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2008
- Received: 1 March 2008Accepted: 1 May 2008
- 2004. A transcriptional timetable of autumn senescence. Genome Biology 5: R24. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. Seasonal changes of plasma membrane H+-ATPase and endogenous ion current during cambial growth in poplar plants. Plant Physiology 129: 1651–1663. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression patterns of GASA genes in Arabidopsis thaliana: the GASA4 gene is up-regulated by gibberellins in meristematic regions. Plant Molecular Biology 36: 871–883. , , , ,
- 2000. Reduced growth of Alaskan white spruce in the twentieth century from temperature-induced drought stress. Nature 405: 668–673. , , .
- 2003. Wood quality and its biological basis. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publisher. , .
- 2003. Gene expression in autumn leaves. Plant Physiology 131: 430–442. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Biotechnology and the domestication of forest trees. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 16: 159–166.
- 1998. Plant cell wall proteins. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 281–309. .
- 1998. A seasonal cycle of cell wall structure is accompanied by a cyclical rearrangement of cortical microtubules in fusiform cambial cells within taproots of Aesculus hippocastanum (Hippocastanaceae). New Phytologist 139: 623–635. , , .
- 1993. A simple and efficient method for isolating RNA from pine trees. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 11: 113–116. , ,
- 2004. The ade4 package-I-One-table methods. R News 4: 5–10. , ,
- 2002. Phytochelatins and metallothioneins: roles in heavy metal detoxification and homeostasis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 159–182. ,
- 1990. Kinetics of tracheid differentiation in Douglas-fir. Annals of Botany 65: 649–657. ,
- 1994. Influence of mineral elements on wood formation of old growth spruce (Picea abies [L.] Karst.). Holzforschung 48: 5–14. ,
- 2004. Gene expression during formation of earlywood and latewood in loblolly pine: expression profiles of 350 genes. Plant Biology 6: 654–663. , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Contrasting patterns of selection at Pinus pinaster Ait. drought stress candidate genes as revealed by genetic differentiation analyses. Molecular Biology and Evolution 25: 417–437. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1991. Monitoring of chemical changes in white-rot degraded beech wood by pyrolysis-gas chromatography and Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 21: 147–162. , , ,
- 1996. Xylogenesis: initiation, progression, and cell death. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 299–325.
- 2001. Differential expression of four members of the H+-ATPase gene family during dormancy of vegetative buds of peach trees. Planta 212: 619–626. , , .
- 2005. The proteome of maritime pine wood forming tissue. Proteomics 5: 3731–3751. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1996. Programmed cell death: a way of life for plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 12094–12097. .
- 2003. Knowing when to grow: signals controlling bud dormancy. Trends in Plant Science 8: 534–540. , , , .
- 1997. Molecular basis of plant-specific acid activation of K+ uptake channels. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 4806–4810. , , , , ,
- 1986. Role of potassium in plant-water relations. In: TinkerB, LäuchliA, eds. Advances in plant nutrition, Vol. 2. New York, NY, USA: Praeger Scientific, 281–312. ,
- 1996. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 5: 299–314 ,
- 2002. Seasonal variation in nitrogen net uptake and root plasma membrane H+-ATPase activity of Scots pine seedlings as affected by nutrient availability. Tree Physiology 22: 1–10. ,
- 2005. Tissue-specific localization of gibberellins and expression of gibberellin-biosynthetic and signaling genes in wood-forming tissues in aspen. Plant Journal 44: 494–504. , ,
- 1994. Extensin: repetitive motifs, functional sites, post-translational codes, and phylogeny. Plant Journal 5: 157–172. , .
- 1999. GEG Participates in the regulation of cell and organ shape during corolla and carpel development in gerbera hybrid. Plant Cell 11: 1093–1104. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Influence of sucrose on cambial activity. In: SavidgeR, BarnettJ, NapierR, eds. Cell and molecular biology of wood formation. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 113–125.
- 2001. Formation and properties of juvenile wood in southern pines: a synopsis. Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-GTR-129. Madison, WI, USA: US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. , , , .
- 2007. A micromethod for high throughput RNA extraction in forest trees. Biological Research 40: 291–297. , , , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal variation in transcript accumulation in wood forming tissues of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.) with emphasis on a cell wall glycine rich protein. Planta 217: 820–830. , , , ,
- 1991. Defence mechanisms of conifers. Differences in constitutive and wound-induced monoterpene biosynthesis among species. Plant Physiology 96: 44–49. , ,
- 1970. Effects of environment on relations between extension and cambial growth of Populus euphratica Oliv. New Phytologist 4: 1059–1064. ,
- 2000. Environmental effects on constitutive and inducible resin defences of Pinus taeda. Ecology Letters 3: 329–339. , , , .
- 2005. Modeling climate change effects on the potential production of French plains forests at the sub-regional level. Tree Physiology 25: 813–823. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1977. Functions of ion transport in plant cells and tissues. International Review of Biochemistry 13: 211–247. .
- 2000. The multiple roles of arabinogalactans proteins in plant development. Plant Physiology 122: 3–9. , .
- 1998. Analytical pyrolysis of natural organic polymers (Techniques and instrumentation in analytical chemistry). Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Science. .
- 2007. Differential expansion and expression of α- and β-tubulin gene families in Populus. Plant Physiology 145: 961–973. , , , ,
- 2006. Phenotypic and molecular plasticity of wood forming tissues in maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.). Joint PhD thesis, Université de Bordeaux I, Bordeaux, France/Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal. .
- 2008. Molecular and phenotypic profiling from the base to the crown in maritime pine wood forming tissue. New Phytologist 178: 283–301. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006a. Mechanical reinforcement of tracheids compromise the hydraulic efficiency of conifer xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1618–1628. , , , , .
- 2006b. Inter-tracheid pitting and hydraulic efficiency of conifer wood: the role of the tracheid alometry and embolism protection. American Journal of Botany 93: 1265–1273. , , , , .
- 2001. Wood formation in trees. Plant Physiology 127: 1513–1523. , ,
- 2006. Heat and drought 2003 in Europe: a climate synthesis. Annual Forest Science 63: 569–577 , , , , , ,
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: KrawetzS, MisenerS, eds. Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Totowa, NJ, USA: Humana Press, 365–386. , .
- 1995. Arabinogalactan proteins in maize coleoptiles: developmental relationship to cell death during xylem differentiation but not to extension growth. Plant Journal 7: 25–36. , ,
- 2000. The classical arabinogalactan protein gene family of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 1751–1767. , , ,
- 2005. EXPANDER – an integrative program suite for microarray data analysis. BMC Bioinformatics 6: 232. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. CLICK: a clustering algorithm with applications to gene expression analysis. In: BourneP, GribskovM, AltmanR, JensenN, HopeD, LengauerT, MitchellJ, ScheeffE, SmithC, StrandeS et al., eds. Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB). Menlo Park, CA, USA: AAI Press, 307–316. ,
- 2007. β-tubulin affects cellulose microfibril orientation in plant secondary fibre cell walls. Plant Journal 51: 717–726. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. A Populus EST resource for plant functional genomics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 13951–13956. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. Gene discovery in wood forming tissues of poplar: analysis of 5692 expressed sequence tags. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 13330–13335. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1994. A molecular marker for lateral root initiation: the rsi-1 gene of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill) is activated in early lateral root primordia. Molecular and General Genetics 243: 148–157. , .
- 2003. Drought stress alters the concentration of wood terpenoids in Scots pine and Norway spruce seedlings. Journal of Chemical Ecology 29: 1981–1995. , , ,
- 2001. Function and dynamics of auxin and carbohydrates during early/latewood transition in Scots pine. Plant Physiology 125: 2029–2039. , , ,
- 1978. Lignin-protein complex catalyzed by peroxidase. Plant Science Letters 13: 241–245. .
- 1971. Mechanisms of xylem differentiation in Pinus silvestris L. Journal of Experimental Botany 22: 670–687. .
- 2006. Utilization of polar metabolite profiling in the comparison of juvenile wood and compression wood in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda). Tree Physiology 26: 1497–1503. , , , , .
- 1968. Water deficits and growth of trees. In: KoslowskiTT, ed. Water deficits and plant growth, Vol. 2. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 191–254.
- 2000. Differential expression of genes encoding cell wall proteins in vascular tissues from vertical and bent loblolly pine trees. Tree Physiology 20: 457–466. , ,
- 1989. Wood variation: its causes and control. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. , .