Potential contribution of natural enemies to patterns of local adaptation in plants
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 2, pages 524–533, October 2008
How to Cite
Crémieux, L., Bischoff, A., Šmilauerová, M., Lawson, C. S., Mortimer, S. R., Doležal, J., Lanta, V., Edwards, A. R., Brook, A. J., Tscheulin, T., Macel, M., Lepš, J., Müller-Schärer, H. and Steinger, T. (2008), Potential contribution of natural enemies to patterns of local adaptation in plants. New Phytologist, 180: 524–533. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02545.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2008
- Received: 21 February 2008Accepted: 13 May 2008
- 2007. Test of local adaptation to biotic interactions and soil abiotic conditions in the ant-tended Chamaecrista fasciculate (Fabaceae). Oecologia 154: 315–326. , .
- 2002. Herbivory and maternal effects: mechanisms and consequences of transgenerational induced plant resistance. Ecology 83: 3408–3415. .
- 1999. Transgenerational induction of defences in animal and plants. Nature 401: 60–63. , ,
- 2006. Community heterogeneity and the evolution of interactions between plants and insect herbivores. Quarterly Review of Biology 81: 349–376. , ,
- 2006. Neighbour species differentially alter resistance phenotypes in Plantago. Oecologia 150: 442–452. , .
- 1961. Biological flora of the British Isles, Holcus lanatus L. Journal of Ecology 49: 421–430. .
- 2004. Plant chemical defense against herbivore and pathogens: generalized defense or trade-offs. Oecologia 140: 430–441 , , .
- 2006. Detecting local adaptation in widespread grassland species – the importance of scale and local plant community. Journal of Ecology 94: 1130–1142. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1995. Evolution of increased competitive ability in invasive nonindigenous plants: a hypothesis. Journal of Ecology 83: 887–889. ,
- 1986. Gene flow in Plantago. I. Gene flow and neighborhood size in P. lanceolata. Heredity 56: 43–54. , ,
- 1992. Host plants of British beetles: a list of recorded associations. Essex, UK: Cravitz Publishing Company Ltd. .
- 2000. Herbivory and plant species coexistence: community regulations by an outbreaking phytophagous insect. Ecological Monographs 70: 73–99. , .
- 1980. The biology of Canadian weeds 47. Plantago lanceolata L. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 60: 1269–1282. , , .
- 1997. Phenological and population variation in iridoid glycosides of Plantago lanceolata (Plantaginaceae). Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 25: 1–11. , .
- 2008. Cost of adaptation to a metalliferous environment for Thlaspi caerulescens: a field reciprocal transplantation approach. New Phytologist 177: 167–177. , , , , , ,
- 1994. Coléoptères chrysomelidae, Vol. 2. Alticinae. Fauna de France 80. Paris, France: Fédération Française des Sociétés de Sciences Naturelles.
- 2000. Population differentiation in an annual legume: local adaptation. Evolution 54: 1173–1181. , .
- 1989. The rust fungi (Uredinales) of Hawaii. Pacific Science 43: 41–55. ,
- 2007. A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecology Letters 10: 418–434. ,
- 2005. Effects of quantitative variation in allelochemicals in Plantago lanceolata on development of a generalist and specialist herbivore and their endoparasitoids. Journal of Chemical Ecology 31: 287–301. , ,
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18: 147–155. , .
- 1995. Effects of disease in wild plant-populations and the evolution of pathogen aggressiveness. New Phytologist 129: 371–387. , .
- 2001. Local adaptation enhances performance of common plant species. Ecology Letters 4: 536–544. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. Local adaptation in host-parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. , .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology letters 7: 1225–1241. ,
- 2002. Exotic plant invasions and the enemy release hypothesis. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17: 164–170. , .
- 2004. Sources of variation in insect density on Lupinus arboreus Sims: effects of environment, source population and plant genotype. American Midland Naturalist 152: 323–335. .
- 2006. Environmental variation mediates the deleterious effects of Coleosporium ipomoeae on Ipomoea purpurea. Ecology 87: 675–685. , .
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of native plants to novel community members. Evolution 60: 56–63. .
- 2003. Mechanisms underlying the impacts of exotic plant invasions. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 270: 775–781. , , , , ,
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of local genetic differentiation in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27: 237–277. , .
- 2007. Climate vs. soil factors in local adaptation of two common plant species. Ecology 88: 424–433. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1992. The selective impact of herbivores. In: FritzRS, SimmsEL, eds. Plant resistance to herbivores and pathogens: ecology, evolution and genetics. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press, 301–325. .
- 2000. Transplantation in the subshrub Lotus scoparius: I. Test of the home site advantage hypothesis. Conservation Biology 14: 1034–1045. , .
- 2000. Local adaptation, resistance, and virulence in a hemiparasitic plant-host plant interaction. Evolution 54: 433–440. , , ,
- 2006. Parasite local adaptation in a geographic mosaic. Evolution 60: 24–30. .
- 1973. Inheritance of self-incompatibility in Plantago lanceolata. Heredity 30: 169–176. .
- 1998. The interactions of plant clone and abiotic factors on a gall-making midge. Oecologia 116: 170–176. ,
- 2000. Evolutionary dynamics of pathogen resistance and tolerance. Evolution 54: 51–63. , .
- 2002. Cryptic invasion by a nonnative genotype of the common reed, Phragmites australis, into North America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 2445–2449.
- 1993. Evidence for local adaptation in closely adjacent subpopulations of Northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.) expressed as resistance to leaf herbivores. American Naturalist 142: 928–936. , ,
- 2000. Direct and indirect effects of plant clone and local environment on herbivore abundance. Ecology 81: 281–285. , .
- 1988. Holcus lanatus L., The biology of Canadian weeds, No. 82. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 68: 131–147. ,
- 1999. Specific hypotheses on the geographic mosaic of coevolution. American Naturalist 153: S1–S14. .
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale –Melamspora lini host-pathogen interaction. Evolution 56: 1340–1351. , , .
- 2001. Variation in resistance and virulence among demes of a single host-pathogen metapopulation. Journal of Ecology 89: 736–748. , , .
- 2002. Competition and time of damage affect the pattern of selection acting on plant defense against herbivores. Ecology 83: 1981–1990.
- 1985. Intrapopulational variation in pollen-mediated gene flow in Plantago lanceolata L. Evolution 39: 775–782. .
- 1984. The abundance of invertebrate herbivores in relation to the availability of nitrogen in stressed food plants. Oecologia 63: 90–105. .
- 2001. Selective sequestration of iridoid glycosides from their host plants in Longitarsus flea beetles. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 29: 335–346. ,
- 1979. Epidemiology and plant disease management. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University. , .