These authors contributed equally to this work.
Capacities and constraints of amino acid utilization in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 179, Issue 4, pages 1058–1069, September 2008
How to Cite
Forsum, O., Svennerstam, H., Ganeteg, U. and Näsholm, T. (2008), Capacities and constraints of amino acid utilization in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 179: 1058–1069. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02546.x
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
- Received: 9 May 2008 Accepted: 13 May 2008
- 1970. D-amino acids in soils. I. Uptake and metabolism by seedling maize and Ryegrass. Agronomy Journal 62: 184–189. , .
- 2001. Determination of amino acid enantiomers in soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 22: 553–562. ,
- 1996. Strong, constitutive expression of the Arabidopsis ACT2/ACT8 actin subclass in vegetative tissues. Plant Journal 10: 107–121. , , , , , .
- 1966. A comparative study of the ability of organic nitrogenous compounds to serve as sole sources of nitrogen for the growth of plants. Plant & Soil XXV: 153–166. .
- 1996. Antagonism by L-glutamine of toxicity and growth inhibition caused by other amino acids in suspension cultures of Nicotiana silvestris. Plant Science 113: 43–58. , .
- 1997. Recognition of specific patterns of amino acid inhibition of growth in higher plants, uncomplicated by glutamine-reversible ‘general amino acid inhibition’. Plant Science 130: 133–143. , .
- 1992. Amino acids are general growth inhibitors of Nicotiana silvestris in tissue culture. Physiologia Plantarum 84: 319–328. , , , .
- 2004. Bioengineering nitrogen acquisition in rice: can novel initiatives in rice genomics and physiology contribute to global food security? BioEssays 26: 683–692. , .
- 2002. Chromatographic determination of L- and D-amino acids in plants. Amino acids 24: 43–55. ,
- 1997. LHT1, a lysine- and histidine-specific amino acid transporter in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 115: 1127–1134. ,
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 1962. The isolation of N-Phosphoryl-lombricine from earthworms. Biochemical Journal 83: 14–17. ,
- 2004. A conditional marker gene allowing both positive and negative selection in plants. Nature Biotechnology 22: 455–458. , ,
- 2005. The dsdA gene from Escherichia coli provides a novel selectable marker for plant transformation. Plant Molecular Biology 57: 425–433. , ,
- 1970. Nitrogen metabolism of Spirodela oligorrhiza. Planta 90: 365–369. .
- 1998. Amino acid transport in plants. Trends in Plant Science 3: 188–195. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Constitutive expression of a putative high-affinity nitrate transporter in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia: evidence for post-transcriptional regulation by a reduced nitrogen source. Plant Journal 23: 489–496. , , ,
- 2007. Preferences for different nitrogen forms by coexisting plant species and soil microbes. Ecology 88: 989–999. , , .
- 2002. Free amino acid, ammonium and nitrate concentrations in soil solutions of a grazed coastal marsh in relation to plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environonment 25: 665–675. , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis LHT1 is a high-affinity transporter for cellular amino acid uptake in both root epidermis and leaf mesophyll. Plant Cell 18: 1931–1946. , , , , , , ,
- 1911. The direct assimilation of inorganic and organic forms of nitrogen by higher plants. Centbl Bakt II 30: 513–547. , .
- 2008. Uptake of organic nitrogen by Barley. Plant & Soil 302: 221–231. , ,
- 1969. Nitrogen metabolism of Lemna minor. I. Growth, nitrogen sources and amino acid inhibition. Plant Physiology 44: 845–848. .
- 2002. GATEWAY vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Sciences 7: 193–195. , ,
- 1994. Amino-acid-absorption by arctic plants – implications for plant nutrition and nitrogen cycling. Ecology 75: 2373–2383.
- 2006. Amino acid uptake in deciduous and coniferous taiga ecosystems. Plant & Soil 288: 297–307. , ,
- 2007. Rapid cycling of organic nitrogen in taiga forest ecosystems. Ecosystems 10: 360–368. , , ,
- 2007. Indices of dissolved organic nitrogen ammonium and nitrate across productivity gradients of boreal forests. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 39: 3147–3158. , , .
- 2007. AAP1 transports uncharged amino acids into roots of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 50: 305–319. , , , , ,
- 2001. The unexpected versatility of plants: organic nitrogen use and availability in terrestrial ecosystems. Oecologia 128: 305–316. ,
- 1981. Effects of D- and L-Ala on the growth of suspension-cultured rice, soybean and tobacco cells. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition 27: 383–386. ,
- 2002. Cycling dynamics of and amino acid nitrogen in soils of a deciduous boreal forest ecosystem. Ecosystems 5: 775–788. , , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassay with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 310–313. , .
- 1998. Boreal forest plants take up organic nitrogen. Nature 392: 914–916. , , , , ,
- 2000. Uptake of organic nitrogen in the field by four agriculturally important plant species. Ecology 81: 1155–1161. , ,
- 2001. Uptake of glycine by field grown wheat. New Phytologist 150: 59–63. , ,
- 2002. Co-ordination of leaf minor amino acid contents in crop species: significance and interpretation. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 939–945 , , ,
- 2001. Soil nitrogen form and plant nitrogen uptake along a boreal forest productivity gradient. Oecologia 129:125–132. , ,
- 2004. Nitrogen uptake by arctic soil microbes and plants in relation to soil nitrogen supply. Ecology 85: 955–962. , , .
- 1999. Novel calibration with correction for drift and nonlinear response for continuous flow isotope ratio mass spectrometry applied to the determination of 15N, total nitrogen, 13C and total carbon in biological material. Analyst 124: 571–577. , .
- 2003. Nitrogen acquisition from inorganic and organic sources by boreal forest plants in the field. Oecologia 137: 252–257. , , , , ,
- 2001. Amino acid uptake: a widespread ability among boreal forest plants. Ecology Letters 4: 434–438. ,
- 1970. Comparative studies of L- and D-Methionine metabolism in lower and higher plants. Phytochemistry 9: 2175–2188. , ,
- 1996. Nonmycorrhizal uptake of amino acids by roots of the alpine sedge Kobresia myosuroides: implications for the alpine nitrogen cycle. Oecologia 108: 488–494. , , .
- 1999. Soil amino acid utilization among species of the Cyperaceae: plant soil processes. Ecology 80: 2408–2419. , , .
- 1996. Tundra plant uptake of amino acid and nitrogen in situ: plants compete well for amino acid N. Ecology 77: 2142–2147. , .
- 1985. Serine hydroxymethyltransferase from Escherichia coli: purification and properties. Journal of Bacteriology 163: 1–7. , , ,
- 1999. Glycine metabolism by plant roots and its occurrence in Australian plant communities. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 26: 253–264. , .
- 1998. The chemistry of soil organic nitrogen: a review. Biology & Fertility of Soils 25: 1–15. ,
- 1998. Amino acid composition of soil organic matter. Biology & Fertility of Soils 26: 235–242. , .
- 1987. Amino-acid-uptake by Ricinus communis roots – characterization and physiological significance. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 493–500. ,
- 1978. Multiphasic uptake of amino acids by barley roots. Physiologia Plantarum 43: 181–188. ,
- 1996. Functional charactersization of the D-Tyr-tRNATyr deacylase from Escherichia coli. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 19109–19114. , , , ,
- 1980. The biology of mycorrhiza in the Ericaceae. VII. The relationship between mycorrhizal infection and the capacity to utilise simple and complex organic nitrogen sources. New Phytologist 86: 365–371. , .
- 2007. Comprehensive screening of Arabidopsis mutants suggests the Lysine Histidine Transporter 1 to be involved in plant uptake of amino acids. Plant Physiology 143: 1853–1860. , , ,
- 1995. The impact of mycorrhizal colonisation upon nitrogen source utilization and metabolism in seedlings of Eucalyptus grandis Hill ex Maiden and Eucalyptis maculata Hook. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 1386–1394. , , .
- 1965. On the injurious and growth promoting effects in peas and barley of various amino acids given together with nitrate. Acta Agralica Fennica 107: 308–319. , .
- 1946. Organic nitrogen compounds as nitrogen nutrition for higher plants. Nature 158: 515. ,
- 2004. The Arabidopsis phenylalanine insensitive growth mutant exhibits a deregulated amino acid metabolism. Plant Physiology 136: 3058–3069. , , , .
- 1962. Amino acid uptake by plant roots. Archives of Biochemsiry & Biophysics 97: 174–180. .
- 2002. Contribution of amino compounds to dissolved organic nitrogen in forest soils. Biogeochemistry 61: 173–198 , , , , ,