Leaf hydraulic conductivity and photosynthesis are genetically correlated in an annual grass
Article first published online: 10 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 1, pages 240–247, October 2008
How to Cite
Maherali, H., Sherrard, M. E., Clifford, M. H. and Latta, R. G. (2008), Leaf hydraulic conductivity and photosynthesis are genetically correlated in an annual grass. New Phytologist, 180: 240–247. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02548.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 10 JUL 2008
- Received: 21 March 2008Accepted: 16 May 2008
- 2000. The evolution of plant ecophysiological traits: recent advances and future directions. Bioscience 50: 979–995. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1972. Evidence for coadaptation in Avena barbata. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 69: 3043–3048. , , , .
- 1987. Genetic correlation and the evolution of physiology. In: FederME, BennettAF, BurggrenWW, HueyRB eds. New directions in ecological physiology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 189–215. .
- 2001. Pattern and process: evidence for the evolution of photosynthetic traits in natural populations. Oecologia 127: 455–467. , .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2007. Leaf maximum photosynthetic rate and venation are linked by hydraulics. Plant Physiology 144: 1890–1898. , , .
- 2005. Genetic variance and covariance for physiological traits in Lobelia: are there constraints on adaptive evolution? Evolution 59: 826–837. , , , , .
- 2002. Xylem embolism and drought-induced stomatal closure in maize. Planta 215: 466–471. .
- 2002. Genetic mechanisms of floral trait correlations in a natural population. Nature 420: 407–410. .
- 2006. Genetic variation of ecophysiological traits in two gynodioecious species of Schiedea (Caryophyllaceae). New Phytologist 169: 589–601. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Phenotypic selection on leaf WUE and related ecophysiological traits for natural populations of desert sunflowers. Oecologia 152: 13–25. , , , .
- 1991. Genetics of Brassica campestris. 1. Genetic constraints on evolution of life-history characters. Evolution 45: 371–379. , .
- 1996a. Differing selection on plant physiological traits in response to environmental water availability: a test of adaptive hypotheses. Evolution 50: 92–102. .
- 1996b. The response to differing selection on plant physiological traits: evidence for local adaptation. Evolution 50: 103–110. .
- 1991. Leaf physiological aspects of nitrogen-use efficiency in Brassica campestris L.: quantitative genetic variation across nutrient treatments. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 81: 64–70. .
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. New York, NY, USA: Longman. , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 1990. Functional interactions among traits that determine reproductive success in a native annual plant. Ecology 71: 548–557. , .
- 1989. Allelic and genotypic composition of ancestral Spanish and colonial Californian gene pools of Avena barbata: evolutionary implications. Genetics 122: 687–694. , , , .
- 1990. Genetic variation in and covariation between leaf gas exchange, morphology, and development in Polygonum arenastrum, an annual plant. Oecologia 85: 153–158. , .
- 1997. Genetic variation in stomatal and biochemical limitations to photosynthesis in the annual plant, Polygonum arenastrum. Oecologia 109: 535–546. , .
- 2003. Inheritance and natural selection on functional traits. International Journal of Plant Science 164: S21–S42. , .
- 1977. Evidence for the existence of three primary strategies in plants and its relevance to ecological and evolutionary theory. American Naturalist 111: 1169–1194. .
- 1972. Microgeographical variation in allozyme frequencies in Avena barbata. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 69: 2100–2104. , .
- 1975. Correlations between quantitative characteristics and allozyme genotypes in Avena barbata. Evolution 29: 438–442. , .
- 2002. Population differentiation and natural selection for water-use efficiency in Impatiens capensis (Balsaminaceae). International Journal of Plant Science 163: 907–912. , , , .
- 1995. Photosynthesis, growth and density for the dominant species in a CO2-enriched grassland. Journal of Biogeography 22: 221–225. , , , , , .
- 2006. Fitness consequences of hybridization between ecotypes of Avena barbata: hybrid breakdown, hybrid vigor, and transgressive segregation. Evolution 60: 1585–1595. , .
- 2005. Identification and characterization of QTL underlying whole-plant physiology in Arabidopsis thaliana: δ13C, stomatal conductance, and transpiration efficiency. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 687–708. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Hybridization, recombination, and the genetic basis of fitness variation across environments in Avena barbata. Genetica 129: 167–177. , , .
- 2004. Divergence and variation of quantitative traits between allozyme genotypes of Avena barbata from contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology 92: 57–71. , , , .
- 1989. Strategies in response to water stress. In: KreebKH, RichterH, HinkleyTM, eds. Structural and functional responses to environmental stresses. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 269–281. .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2003. Stomatal sensitivity to vapour pressure difference over a subambient to elevated CO2 gradient in a C3/C4 grassland. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1297–1306. , , .
- 2006. Functional correlations between leaf gas exchange and vulnerability to xylem cavitation in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 571–583. , , , , .
- 2004. Adaptive variation in the vulnerability of woody plants to xylem cavitation. Ecology 85: 2184–2199. , , .
- 2001. Hydraulic architecture and water flow in growing grass tillers (Festuca arundinacea Schreb.). Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 65–76. , , .
- 2001. Quantitative analysis of vasculature in the leaves of Festuca arundinacea (Poaceae): implications for axial water transport. International Journal of Plant Sciences 162: 755–766. , .
- 2005. The ERECTA gene regulates plant transpiration efficiency in Arabidopsis. Nature 436: 866–870. , , .
- 2003. Genetics of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana: I. Pleiotropy contributes to genetic correlations among ecological traits. Molecular Ecology 12: 1137–1151. , , .
- 1990. Stomatal and hydraulic conductance in growing sugarcane: stomatal adjustment to water transport capacity. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 383–388. , .
- 2002. Coordination of vapour and liquid phase water transport properties in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 265–274. .
- 2003. The ecological significance of long-distance water transport: short term regulation, long term acclimation and the hydraulic costs of stature across plant life forms. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 163–182. .
- 1992. Genotypic variability of leaf xylem to cavitation in water-stressed and well-irrigated sugarcane. Plant Physiology 100: 1020–1028. , , , , , .
- 2008. Hydraulic and mechanical stem properties affect leaf-stem allometry in mango cultivars. New Phytologist 178: 590–602. , , , .
- 1999. Transgressive segregation, adaptation, and speciation. Heredity 83: 363–372. , , .
- 2003. The ‘hydrology’ of leaves: co-ordination of structure and function in temperate woody species. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1343–1356. , , , .
- 2006. Leaf hydraulics. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 361–381. , .
- 2006. The adaptive significance of drought escape in an annual grass, Avena barbata. Evolution 60: 2478–2489. , .
- 2004. Coordinating stomatal and xylem functioning – an evolutionary perspective. New Phytologist 162: 568–570. .
- 2003. Hydraulic properties of rice and the response of gas exchange to water stress. Plant Physiology 132: 1698–1706. , , .
- 2005. Embolized conduits of rice (Oryza sativa, Poaceae) refill despite negative xylem pressure. American Journal of Botany 92: 1970–1974. , , .
- 1991. The hydraulic architecture of trees and other woody plants. New Phytologist 119: 345–360. , .
- 1999. Direct measurement of xylem pressure in leaves of intact maize plants. A test of the cohesion-tension theory taking hydraulic architecture into consideration. Plant Physiology 121: 1191–1205. , , .
- 1993. Implications of carbon isotope discrimination for breeding common bean under water deficits. In: EhleringerJR, HallAE, FarquharGD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon-water relations. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 387–398. .
- 1979. Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424–426. , , .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis, 4th edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .
- 1983. Xylem structure and the ascent of sap. New York, NY, USA: Springer. .
- 2001. Hydrogel control of xylem hydraulic resistance in plants. Science 291: 1059–1062. , , .