Anatomical traits associated with absorption and mycorrhizal colonization are linked to root branch order in twenty-three Chinese temperate tree species
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 3, pages 673–683, November 2008
How to Cite
Guo, D., Xia, M., Wei, X., Chang, W., Liu, Y. and Wang, Z. (2008), Anatomical traits associated with absorption and mycorrhizal colonization are linked to root branch order in twenty-three Chinese temperate tree species. New Phytologist, 180: 673–683. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02573.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
- Received: 9 April 2008; Accepted: 29 May 2008
- 1997. Topological scaling and plant root system architecture: developmental and functional hierarchies. New Phytologist 135: 621–634. .
- 1988. Root excision decreases nutrient absorption and gas fluxes. Plant Physiology 87: 794–796. , .
- 2002. Coevolution of roots and mycorrhizas of land plants. New Phytologist 154: 275–304. .
- 2004. Diversity and classification of mycorrhizal associations. Biological Reviews 78: 473–495. .
- 2006. Plants actively control nitrogen cycling: uncorking the microbial bottleneck. New Phytologist 169: 27–34. , , , .
- 1999. Anatomical characteristics of roots of citrus rootstocks that vary in specific root length. New Phytologist 141: 309–321. , .
- 2001. Anatomy of seedling tap roots of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Trees – Structure and Function 15: 98–111. , , .
- 1977. Anatomy of seed plants, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 215–255.
- 1982. Morphometric analysis of root systems: application of the technique and influence of soil fertility on root system development in two herbaceous species. Plant, Cell & Environment 5: 313–322. .
- 1987. An architectural approach to the comparative ecology of plant root systems. New Phytologist 106: 61–77. .
- 1999. Soil reference with Chinese soil taxonomy. Soils 31: 57–63 (in Chinese). , , , , .
- 2008a. Heterogeneity by root branch order: exploring the discrepancy in root longevity and turnover estimates between Minirhizotron and C isotope methods. New Phytologist 177: 443–456. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fine root branch orders respond differentially to carbon source-sink manipulations in a longleaf pine forest. Oecologia 140: 450–457. , , .
- 2008b. Endogenous and exogenous controls of root lifespan, mortality and nitrogen flux in a longleaf pine forest: root branch order predominates. Journal of Ecology 96: 737–745. , , , , .
- 2007. Heterogeneity of individual roots within the fine root architecture: causal links between physiological and ecosystem functions. Journal of Forest Research 12: 126–133.
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 2006. Fine-root turnover patterns and their relationship to root diameter and soil depth in a 14C-labeled hardwood forest. New Phytologist 172: 523–535. , , , , .
- 2007. Root anatomy of Pinus taeda L. seasonal and environmental effects on development in seedlings. Trees-Structure and Function 21: 693–706. , , , .
- Land Environmental Protection Department of Beijing Municipal Planning Committee. 1988. Land and resources of Beijing. Beijing, China: Beijing Science and Technology Press, 117–120 (in Chinese).
- 2007. Estimating nutrient uptake by mature tree roots under field conditions: challenges and opportunities. Trees – Structure and Function 21: 593–603. , , , , .
- 2004. Root cortex: structural and functional variability and responses to environmental stress. Root Research 13: 117–131. , , ,
- 2001. Longevity of mycorrhizal roots depends on branching order and nutrient variability. New Phytologist 150: 195–202. , , .
- 1982. The role of fine roots in the organic matter and nitrogen budgets of two forested ecosystems. Ecology 63: 1481–1490. , , .
- 1995a. Root browning in Pinus banksiana Lamb. and Eucalyptus Pilularis Sm. 1. Anatomy and permeability of the white and tannin zones. Botanica Acta 108: 127–137. , .
- 1995b. Root browning in Pinus banksiana Lamb. and Eucalyptus Pilularis Sm. 2. Anatomy and permeability of the white and tannin zones. Botanica Acta 108: 138–143. , .
- 2000. Anatomy and histology of roots and root-soil boundary. In: SmitAL, BengoughAG, EngelsC, NoordwijkM, PellerinS, GeijnSC, eds. Root Methods: A Handbook. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 33–74. , , , , .
- 1999. Pine root structure and its potential significance for root function. Plant and Soil 217: 205–213. , , .
- 2002. The fine roots of trees – a new perspective. New Phytologist 156: 267–270. .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- 2003. Mycorrhizas and nutrient cycling in ecosystems – a journey towards relevance? New Phytologist 157: 475–492. ,
- 2002. Changes in foliar spectral reflectance and chlorophyll fluorescence of four temperate species following branch cutting. Tree Physiology 22: 499–506. , .
- 2003. Constraints on the form and function of root systems. In: De KroonH, VisserEJW, eds. Root ecology. Ecological studies, Vol. 168. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 7–18. , , .
- 2004. Differences in anatomical structure and lignin content of roots of pedunculate oak and wild cherry-tree plantlets during acclimation. Biologia Plantarum 48: 481–489. , , , , ,
- 2006. Size and function in conifer tracheids and angiosperm vessels. American Journal of Botany 93: 1490–1500. , ,
- 2000. Morphometric analysis of Pinus banksiana Lamb. root anatomy during a 3-month field study. Trees-Structure and Function 14: 239–247. , .
- 2005. An overview of methods for the detection and observation of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in roots. Physiologia Plantarum 125: 393–404. , ,
- 2005. Rapid decline in nitrate uptake and respiration with age in fine lateral roots of grape: implications for root efficiency and competitive effectiveness. New Phytologist 165: 493–502. , , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2003. Beyond the roots of young seedlings: the influence of age and order on fine root physiology. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 324–334. , .
- 2002. Changes in the risk of fine-root mortality with age: a case study in peach, Prunus persica (Rosaceae). American Journal of Botany 89: 79–87. , , .
- 2006. Comparisons of structure and life span in roots and leaves among temperate trees. Ecological Monographs 76: 381–397. , , , .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis, 4th edn. Upper saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall, 178–206. .
- 1994. Long-term research on China's forest ecosystems. Harbin, China: Northeast Forestry University Press, 213–221 (in Chinese). .