Genetic diversity of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices as determined by mitochondrial large subunit rRNA gene sequences is considerably higher than previously expected
Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 2, pages 452–465, October 2008
How to Cite
Börstler, B., Raab, P. A., Thiéry, O., Morton, J. B. and Redecker, D. (2008), Genetic diversity of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices as determined by mitochondrial large subunit rRNA gene sequences is considerably higher than previously expected. New Phytologist, 180: 452–465. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02574.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2008
- Received: 22 April 2008Accepted: 5 June 2008
- Molecular community analysis of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in roots from geothermal soils in Yellowstone National Park (USA). Microbial Ecology, doi: 10.1007/s00248-008-9384-9. , , , , (in press).
- 1988. Early events of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza on Ri T-DNA transformed roots. New Phytologist 108: 211–218. ,
- 2006. Species composition of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in two mountain meadows with differing management types and levels of plant biodiversity. Biology and Fertility of Soils 42: 286–298. , , ,
- 1989. Accelerated evolution of a false-truffle from a mushroom ancestor. Nature 339: 140–142. , , , .
- 1998. A sequence database for the identification of ectomycorrhizal basidiomycetes by phylogenetic analysis. Molecular Ecology 7: 257–272. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. The evolution of plant ribosomal DNA: divergent paralogues, pseudogenes and phylogenetic implications. Genetics 145: 821–832. , , .
- 1996. PCR fidelity of Pfu polymerase and other thermostable DNA polymerases. Nucleic Acids Research 24: 3546–3551. , , .
- 2004. Assessing the infectivity of commercial mycorrhizal inoculants in plant nursery conditions. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 22: 149–154. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Genetic diversity and host plant preferences revealed by simple sequence repeat and mitochondrial markers in a population of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices. New Phytologist 178: 672–687. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Statistical modeling and analysis of the LAGLIDADG family of site-specific endonucleases and identification of an intein that encodes a site-specific endonuclease of the HNH family. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 4626–4638. , , , , , .
- 2003. Good-Enough RFLP Matcher (germ) program. Mycorrhiza 13: 171–172. , , , .
- 1991. Solubilization of gellan gels by chelation of cations. Biotechnology Techniques 5: 25–28. ,
- 1994. Demonstration of abscisic acid in spores and hyphae of the arbuscular-mycorrhizal fungus Glomus and in the N2-fixing cyanobacterium Anabaena variabilis. Plant Science 99: 9–16. , , ,
- 1999. Recurrent invasion and extinction of a selfish gene. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 13880–13885. ,
- 1999. Bioedit: user-friendly biological sequence alignment and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina State University.
- 1998. Mycorrhizal fungal diversity determines plant biodiversity, ecosystem variability and productivity. Nature 396: 69–72. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Selectivity and functional diversity in arbuscular mycorrhizas of co-occurring fungi and plants from a temperate deciduous woodland. Journal of Ecology 90: 371–384. , , , , , .
- 2007. Differences in the species composition of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in spore, root and soil communities in a grassland ecosystem. Environmental Microbiology 9: 1930–1938. , ,
- 2005. Low gene copy number shows that arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi inherit genetically different nuclei. Nature 433: 160–163. , .
- 2006. Communities of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in arable soils are not necessarily low in diversity. Molecular Ecology 15: 2277–2289. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Molecular diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and patterns of host association over time and space in a tropical forest. Molecular Ecology 11: 2669–2678. , , , , .
- 2006. Application of phylogenetic networks in evolutionary studies. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23: 254–267. ,
- 2002a. Diversity and structure of AMF communities as affected by tillage in a temperate soil. Mycorrhiza 12: 225–234. , , , , ,
- 2002b. Intra- and intersporal diversity of ITS rDNA sequences in Glomus intraradices assessed by cloning and sequencing, and by SSCP analysis. Mycological Research 106: 670–681. , , , ,
- 2004. High genetic variability and low local diversity in a population of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 2369–2374. , , , , , .
- 2001. Evidence for the evolution of multiple genomes in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Nature 414: 745–748. , , .
- 1999. Intrasporal variability of ribosomal sequences in the endomycorrhizal fungus Gigaspora margarita. Molecular Ecology 8: 37–45. , ,
- 1996. Diversity of the ribosomal internal transcribed spacers within and among isolates of Glomus mosseae and related mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 133: 103–111. , , , , , .
- 2004. Symbiotic sequencing for the Populus mesocosm. New Phytologist 161: 330–335. , , , , , .
- 2008. Microsatellites for disentangling underground networks: Strain-specific identification of Glomus intraradices, an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. Fungal Genetics and Biology 45: 812–817. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Divergent arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal communities colonize roots of Pulsatilla spp. in boreal Scots pine forest and grassland soils. New Phytologist 160: 581–593. , , , , ,
- 2006. Composition of root-colonizing arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal communities in different ecosystems around the globe. Journal of Ecology 94: 778–790. , , ,
- 2004. Organization of genetic variation in individuals of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Nature 427: 733–737. , .
- 2004. Modeltest 3.5. Vigo, Spain: Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Vigo.
- 2005. Mitochondrial large ribosomal subunit sequences are homogeneous within isolates of Glomus (arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, Glomeromycota). Mycological Research 109: 1315–1322. , ,
- 2000. Specific PCR primers to identify arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi within colonized roots. Mycorrhiza 10: 73–80.
- 2006. Molecular ecology of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: a review of PCR-based techniques. In: CooperJ, RaoJR, eds. Molecular techniques for soil and rhizosphere microorganisms. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing, 198–212.
- 1997. Restriction analysis of PCR-amplified internal transcribed spacers of ribosomal DNA as a tool for species identification in different genera of the order Glomales. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 1756–1761. , , ,
- 2005. Diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in grassland spontaneously developed on area polluted by a fertilizer plant. Environmental Pollution 135: 255–266. , ,
- 2003. mrbayes 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19: 1572–1574. , .
- 2008. Communities, populations and individuals of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 178: 253–266.
- 2004. Community structure of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in undisturbed vegetation revealed by analyses of LSU rDNA sequences. Molecular Ecology 13: 3179–3186. , .
- 1995. Identification of ribosomal DNA polymorphisms among and within spores of the Glomales: application to studies on the genetic diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal communities. New Phytologist 130: 419–427. , , , ,
- 1997. Clonal growth traits of two Prunella species are determined by co-occurring arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi from a calcareous grassland. Journal of Ecology 85: 181–191. , , , .
- 2005. Development and amplification of multiple co-dominant genetic markers from single spores of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi by nested multiplex PCR. Fungal Genetics and Biology 42: 73–80. ,
- 2001. PAUP*. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods). Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. .
- 2007a. The cultivation bias: different communities of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi detected in roots from the field, from bait plants transplanted to the field, and from a greenhouse trap experiment. Mycorrhiza 18: 1–14. , , ,
- 2007b. Co-occurring Gentiana verna and Gentiana acaulis and their neighboring plants in two Swiss upper montane meadows harbor distinct arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal communities. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73: 5426–5434. , ,
- 2008. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal communities in sub-Saharan Savannas of Benin, West Africa, as affected by agricultural land use intensity and ecological zone. Mycorrhiza 18: 181–195. , , , , ,
- 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: InnisMA, GelfandDH, SninskyJJ, WhiteTJ, eds. PCR protocols, a guide to methods and applications. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 315–322. , , ,