Detection, isolation and characterization of a root-exuded compound, methyl 3-(4-hydroxyphenyl) propionate, responsible for biological nitrification inhibition by sorghum (Sorghum bicolor)
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
© JIRCAS, Japan (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 2, pages 442–451, October 2008
How to Cite
Zakir, H. A. K. M., Subbarao, G. V., Pearse, S. J., Gopalakrishnan, S., Ito, O., Ishikawa, T., Kawano, N., Nakahara, K., Yoshihashi, T., Ono, H. and Yoshida, M. (2008), Detection, isolation and characterization of a root-exuded compound, methyl 3-(4-hydroxyphenyl) propionate, responsible for biological nitrification inhibition by sorghum (Sorghum bicolor). New Phytologist, 180: 442–451. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02576.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
- Received: 9 April 2008Accepted: 9 June 2008
- 1988. Biological suppression of nitrification by selected cultivars of Helianthus annuus L. Journal of Chemical Ecology 14: 733–741. .
- 1986. Allelopathic suppression of weed and nitrification by selected cultivars of Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench. Journal of Chemical Ecology 12: 209– 219. , , , .
- 1989. Research on dicyandiamide as a nitrification inhibitor and future outlook. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 20: 1933–1955.
- 2003. Metabolism of inorganic N compounds by ammonia-oxidizing bacteria. Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 38: 471–495. , .
- 1995. Chemical basis for differential allelopathic potential of sorghum hybrid on wheat. Journal of Chemical Ecology 21: 775–786. , , , .
- 1980. Etude et travaux: un cas de fatigue des sols induite par la culture du sorgho. Agronomie Tropicale 35: 319–334. , , , ,
- 1993. The influence of and nutrition on the carbon and nitrogen partitioning characteristics of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and maize (Zea mays L.) plants. Plant and Soil 14: 289–300. , .
- 2003. Evaluation of root exudates of seven sorghum accessions. Journal of Chemical Ecology 29: 2073–2083. , , .
- 2000. Induction of phenolic compounds in two cultivars of cucumber by treatment of healthy and powdery mildew-infected plants with extracts of Reynoutria sachalinensis. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26: 1579–1593. , , , , .
- 1989. Prior cropping with grain sorghum inhibits weeds. Journal of Ecology 15: 951–960. , .
- 2007. Plant-based manipulation of nitrification in soils: a new approach to managing N loss? Plant and Soil 294: 1–4. .
- 2007. Nitrification inhibitors from the root tissues of Brachiaria humidicola, a tropical grass. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 55: 1385–1388. , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Bioluminescence assay using Nitrosomonas europaea for rapid and sensitive detection of nitrification inhibitors. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 64: 3656–3662. , , .
- 1997. Cloning, nucleotide sequence, and regulatory analysis of the Nitrosomonas europaea dnaK gene. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 1777–1784. ,
- 2007. Phenylalanine ammonia-lyase activity and phenolic compounds accumulation in nitrogen-deficient Matricaria chamomilla leaf rosettes. Plant Science 172: 393–399. , , ,
- 2007. Influence of physiochemical parameters of neem (Azadirachta indica A Juss) oils on nitrification inhibition in soil. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 55: 1389–1393. , , , , ,
- 1994. Solute content and energy status of root of barley plants cultivated at different pH on nitrate or ammonium nitrogen. New Phytologist 128: 451–459. , .
- 2004. Grass populations control nitrification in savanna soils. Functional Ecology 18: 605–611. , , , , ,
- 1999. Stable coexistence of contrasted nitrification statuses in a wet tropical savanna system. Functional Ecology 13: 762–763. , , ,
- 2002. Sugar exudation by roots of kallar grass [Leptochloa fusca (L.) kunth] is strongly affected by the nitrogen source. Planta 214: 887–894 , , , .
- 2002. A putative lipid transfer protein is involved for systemic signalling to establish acquire resistance in arabidopsis thialiana. Nature 419: 399–403. , , , , .
- 2006. Crude extract of Astragalus mongholicus root inhibits crop seed germination and soil nitrifying activity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38: 201–208. , , , , , ,
- 2000. New approaches to enhanced ammonium assimilation in plants. In: Martins-LucaoMA, LipsSH, eds. Nitrogen in a sustainable ecosystem – from the cell to the plant. Leiden, the Nertherlands: Backhuy, 349–360. , , .
- 1991. Ammonium and nitrate uptake rates and rhizosphere pH in non-mycorrhizal roots of Norway roots (Picea abies L. Karst.). Trees 5: 14–21. , ,
- 1999. Modes of action of nitrification inhibitors. Biology and Fertility of Soils 29: 1–9. .
- 1971. The influence of washing of living roots on nitrification. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 3: 69–83. , .
- 1995. Possible target site of 1,3,5-triazine nitrification inhibitor. Journal of Pesticide Science 20: 71–477. , , , , , ,
- 1986. Roots of sorghum exude hydrophobic droplets containing biologically active components. Crop Science 26: 775–777. , .
- 1972. How fertilizer moves and reacts in soil. Crops Soils 72: 7–11. .
- 1992. The aldrich library of 13C and 1H FT NMR spectra, 1st edn . Milwaukee, WI, USA: Aldrich Chemical Company, 1215. ,
- 1999. Improving nitrogen use efficiency for cereal production. Agronomy Journal 91: 357–363. , .
- 1992. A comparison of ammonium and nitrate as nitrogen sources for photolithotrophs. New Phytologist 121: 19–32. , ,
- 1996. Nitrogen recycling in phenylpropanoid metabolism. Phytochemistry 41: 31–35. , , , , .
- 1914. The nature and amount of the fluctuations in nitrate contents of arable soils. Journal of Agricultural Sciences 6: 50–53. .
- 1974. Note on the nitrification inhibitors in the seeds, bark and leaves of Pongamia glabra. Vent. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 44: 415–418. , , .
- 1984. Nitrification inhibitors in agriculture and horticulture: a literature review. Fertiliser Research 5: 1–76. ,
- 2001. Wheat leaves emit nitrous oxide during nitrate assimilation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 7875–7878. , .
- 2007c. Can biological nitrification inhibition (BNI) genes from perennial Leymus racemosus (Triticeae) combat nitrification in wheat farming? Plant and Soil 299: 55–64. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. A bioluminescence assay to detect nitrification inhibitors released from plant roots: a case study with Brachiaria humidicola. Plant and Soil 288: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 2006a. Scope and strategies for regulation of nitrification in agricultural systems – challenges and opportunities. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 25: 303–335. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007a. Biological nitrification inhibition (BNI) – Is it a widespread phenomenon? Plant and Soil 294: 5–18. , , , , , , , .
- 2007b. triggers the synthesis and release of biological nitrification inhibition compounds in Brachiara humidicola roots. Plant and Soil 290: 245–257. , , , , .
- 2000. Rapid effects of nitrogen form on leaf morphogenesis in tobacco. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 227–237. , , ,
- 2001. Effect of the new nitrification inhibitor DMPP in comparison to DCD on nitrous oxide (N2O) emissions and methane (CH4) oxidation during 3 years of repeated applications in field experiments. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 60: 57–64. , , .
- 1999. Utilization of allelopathy for weed management in agroecosystems. Agronomy Journal 88: 860–866. .
- 1997. A sensitive computer-controlled pH-stat system allows the study of net H+ fluxes related to nitrogen uptake and intact plants in situ. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 400–408.
- 1998. Adaptation of active proton pumping and plasmalemma ATPase activity of corn roots to low root medium pH. Plant Physiology 117: 311–319. , , , ,
- 2001. 3, 4-Dimethylpyrazole phosphate (DMPP) – a new nitrification inhibitor for agriculture and horticulture. Biology and Fertility of Soils 34: 79–84. , , , , , , ,