These authors contributed equally to this work.
Salt tolerance of barley induced by the root endophyte Piriformospora indica is associated with a strong increase in antioxidants
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 2, pages 501–510, October 2008
How to Cite
Baltruschat, H., Fodor, J., Harrach, B. D., Niemczyk, E., Barna, B., Gullner, G., Janeczko, A., Kogel, K.-H., Schäfer, P., Schwarczinger, I., Zuccaro, A. and Skoczowski, A. (2008), Salt tolerance of barley induced by the root endophyte Piriformospora indica is associated with a strong increase in antioxidants. New Phytologist, 180: 501–510. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02583.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2008
- Received: 14 April 2008Accepted: 11 June 2008
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. ,
- 2004. Over-expression of ascorbate peroxidase in tobacco chloroplasts enhances the tolerance to salt stress and water deficit. Physiologia Plantarum 121: 231–238. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Sebacina vermifera promotes the growth and fitness of Nicotiana attenuata by inhibiting ethylene signalling. Plant Physiology 144: 1223–1232. , , .
- 1998. Two maize genes encoding omega-3 fatty acid desaturase and their differential expression to temperature. Plant Molecular Biology 36: 297–306. , , , , ,
- 2003. The effect of salt stress on lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in leaves of sugar beet Beta vulgaris L. and wild beet Beta maritima L. Plant Science 164: 77–84. , ,
- 2006. Modulation of ethylene responses affects plant salt-stress responses. Plant Physiology 143: 707–719. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Changes in intracellular and apoplastic peroxidise activity, ascorbate redox status, and root elongation induced by enhanced ascorbate content in Allium cepa L. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 685–694. , , , .
- 1989. Effects of NaCl on metabolic heat evolution rates by barley roots. Plant Physiology 90: 53–58. , , , , .
- 1995. Measurement of thermally produced volatile alkanes – an assay for plant hydroperoxy fatty-acid evaluation. Analytical Biochemistry 224: 524–531. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Piriformospora indica promotes adventitious root formation in cuttings. Scientia Horticulturae 112: 422–426. , ,
- 2004. Salt-induced lipid changes in Catharanthus roseus cultured cell suspensions. Phytochemistry 65: 1911–1917. , , , ,
- 1980. Saline culture of crops – a genetic approach. Science 210: 399–404. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Salinity, oxidative stress and antioxidant responses in shoot cultures of rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 325–331. , , .
- 2007. Metabolic responses of tobacco to induction of systemic acquired resistance. Thermochimica Acta 466: 29–34. , , , ,
- 2000. Oxygen processing in photosynthesis: regulation and signalling. New Phytologist 146: 359–388. ,
- 1994. Antioxidant response to NaCl stress in salt-tolerant and salt-sensitive cultivars of cotton. Crop Science 34: 706–714. , , .
- 1997. Salt and oxidative stress: similar and specific responses and their relation to salt tolerance in Citrus. Planta 203: 460–469. , , ,
- 2008. Antioxidant, ethylene and membrane leakage responses to powdery mildew infection of near-isogenic barley lines with various types of resistance. European Journal of Plant Pathology 121: 21–33. , , , ,
- 2000. Tolerance of pea (Pisum sativum L.) to long-term salt stress is associated with induction of antioxidant defenses. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 853–862. , , ,
- 1995. Salt-induced oxidative stress in chloroplasts of pea-plants. Plant Science 105: 151–167. , , , , .
- 1984. Monodehydroascorbate reductase in spinach chloroplasts and its participation in regeneration of ascorbate for scavenging hydrogen peroxide. Plant Cell Physiology 25: 385–395. , ,
- 2005. Increased sensitivity to salt stress in an ascorbate-deficient Arabidopsis mutant. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 3041–3049. , , , , ,
- 2002. Antisense expression of an Arabidopsis omega-3 fatty acid desaturase gene reduces salt/drought tolerance in transgenic tobacco plants. Molecules and Cells 13: 264–271. , , , .
- 1990. Changes in properties of barley leaf mitochondria isolated from NaCl-treated plants. Plant Physiology 94: 641–646. , ,
- 2001. Role of auxin-induced reactive oxygen species in root gravitropism. Plant Physiology 126: 1055–1060. , , .
- 1982. Quantification of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae in plant roots. In: SchenckNC, ed. Methods and principles of mycorrhizal research. St Paul, MN, USA: American Phytopathological Society, 37–45. , .
- 2004. Thermotolerance and antioxidant systems in Agrostis stolonifera: involvement of salicylic acid, abscisic acid, calcium, hydrogen peroxide, and ethylene. Journal of Plant Physiology 161: 405–413. ,
- 2005. Effects of silicon on H+-ATPase and H+-PPase activity, fatty acid composition and fluidity of tonoplast vesicles from roots of salt-stressed barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) Environmental and Experimental Botany 53: 29–37. , , , .
- 1990. A new method which gives an objective measure of colonization of roots by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 2007. Double mutants deficient in cytosolic and thylakoid ascorbate peroxidase reveal a complex mode of interaction between reactive oxygen species, plant development, and response to abiotic stresses. Plant Physiology 144: 1777–1785. , , , , ,
- 2004. Salinity up-regulates the antioxidative system in root mitochondria and peroxisomes of the wild salt-tolerant tomato species Lycopersicon pennellii. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1105–1113. , , ,
- 2008. Mechanisms of salinity tolerance. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 651–681. ,
- 2007. Enhancement of salt tolerance in transgenic rice expressing an Escherichia coli catalase gene, kat E. Plant Biotechnology Reports 1: 49–55. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Linked activation of cell division and oxidative stress defense in alfalfa leaf protoplast-derived cells is dependent on exogenous auxin. Plant Growth Regulation 51: 109–117. , , ,
- 2004. Association of Piriformospora indica with Arabidopsis thaliana roots represents a novel system to study beneficial plant-microbe interactions and involves early plant protein modifications in the endoplasmic reticulum and at the plasma membrane. Physiologia Plantarum 122: 465–477. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Stress tolerance in plants via habitat-adapted symbiosis. The ISME Journal 2: 404–416. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The role of fungal symbioses in the adaptation of plants to high stress environments. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 9: 261–272. , ,
- 2004. Calorimetric studies of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) seed germination under saline stress conditions. Thermochimica Acta 428: 71–75. , .
- 2007. Differential responses of antioxidative enzymes and lipid peroxidation to salt stress in salt-tolerant Plantago maritima and salt-sensitive Plantago media. Physiologia Plantarum 131: 399–411. , ,
- 2001. Exogenous ascorbic acid (vitamin C) increases resistance to salt stress and reduces lipid peroxidation. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2207–2211. , .
- 1997. Adaptation of plants to salinity. Advances in Agronomy 60: 75–120. .
- 2007. Piriformospora indica affects plant growth by auxin production. Physiologia Plantarum 131: 581–589. , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Isothermal calorimetry as a tool for estimating resistance of wild oat (Avena fatua L.) to aryloxyphenoxypropionate herbicides. Thermochimica Acta 441: 203–206. , , ,
- 2006. Reactive oxygen species play a role in regulating a fungus-perennial ryegrass mutualistic interaction. The Plant Cell 18: 1052–1066. , , , ,
- 2006. Transgenic Arabidopsis plants expressing the rice dehydroascorbate reductase gene are resistant to salt stress. Journal of Plant Physiology 163: 1179–1184. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Piriformospora indica, a cultivable plant-growth-promoting root endophyte. Applied Environmental Microbiology 65: 2741–2744. , , , ,
- 1998. Piriformospora indica, gen. et sp. nov., a new root-colonizing fungus. Mycologia 90: 896–903. , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. The endophytic fungus Piriformospora indica reprograms barley to salt-stress tolerance, disease resistance, and higher yield. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 13386–13391. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Overexpression of carnation S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase gene generates a broad-spectrum tolerance to abiotic stresses in transgenic tobacco plants. Plant Cell Reports 25: 1111–1121. , , .
- 2004. NaCl induced changes of the H+-ATPase in root plasma membrane of two wheat cultivars. Plant Science 166: 913–918. , , , , .
- 2002. Relationship between H+-ATPase activity and fluidity of tonoplast in barley roots under NaCl stress. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 44: 292–296. , , .
- 2005. Protective effects of exogenous fatty acids on root tonoplast function against salt stress in barley seedlings. Environmental and Experimental Botany 53: 215–223. ,
- 2002. Changes in the composition of fatty acids and sterols of membrane lipids during induction and differentiation of Brassica napus (var. oleifera L.) callus. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 24: 3–10. , , ,