Evolutionary history of the ancient cutinase family in five filamentous Ascomycetes reveals differential gene duplications and losses and in Magnaporthe grisea shows evidence of sub- and neo-functionalization
Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 3, pages 711–721, November 2008
How to Cite
Skamnioti, P., Furlong, R. F. and Gurr, S. J. (2008), Evolutionary history of the ancient cutinase family in five filamentous Ascomycetes reveals differential gene duplications and losses and in Magnaporthe grisea shows evidence of sub- and neo-functionalization. New Phytologist, 180: 711–721. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02598.x
- Issue online: 15 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2008
- Received: 21 April 2008; Accepted: 26 June 2008
- 2008. Whole genome sequencing of the fungal plant pathogens Botrytis cinerea and Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. In: ArcherD, DyerP, ReadN, GowN, Van Den HondelK, eds. 9th European Conference on Fungal Genetics. Edinburgh, UK: University of Edinburgh, 74. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Comparison of protein coding gene contents of the fungal phyla Pezizomycotina and Saccharomycotina. BMC Genomics 8: 325. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Evolution of the cutinase gene family: evidence for lateral gene transfer of a candidate Phytophthora virulence factor. Gene 408: 1–8. , , , .
- 2007. Botrytis cinerea virulence factors: new insights into a necrotrophic and polyphageous pathogen. FEMS Microbiology Letters 277: 1–10. , , , , , ,
- 2004. WebLogo: a sequence logo generator. Genome Research 14: 1188–1190. , , , .
- 1997. Effect of disruption of a cutinase gene (cutA) on virulence and tissue specificity of Fusarium solani f. sp. cucurbitae race 2 toward Cucurbita maxima and C. moschata. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 355–368. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The Fusarium graminearum genome reveals a link between localized polymorphism and pathogen specialization. Science 317: 1400–1402. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Transposable elements in filamentous fungi. Annual Review of Microbiology 57: 275–299. ,
- 2005. The genome sequence of the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Nature 434: 980–986. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1992. Adhesion pad formation and the involvement of cutinase and esterases in the attachment of uredospores to the host cuticle. The Plant Cell 4: 1101–1111. , , , ,
- 2007. The evolutionary history of cytochrome P450 genes in four filamentous ascomycetes. BMC Evolutionary Biology 7: 30. , , .
- 1989. Insertion of cutinase gene into a wound pathogen enables it to infect intact host. Nature 342: 446–448. , , .
- 2006. Expression pattern shifts following duplication indicative of subfunctionalization and neofunctionalization in regulatory genes of Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23: 469–478. , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Structure of cutinase gene, cDNA, and the derived amino acid sequence from phytopathogenic fungi. Biochemistry 26: 7883–7892. , , .
- 1998. Diversity of cutinases from plant pathogenic fungi: differential and sequential expression of cutinolytic esterases by Alternaria brassisicola. FEMS Microbiology Letters 158: 33–38. ,
- 2006. A fungal phylogeny based on 42 complete genomes derived from supertree and combined gene analysis. BMC Evolutionary Biology 6: 99. , , ,
- 1996. The role of cutinase in germling development and infection by Erysiphe graminis f. sp. hordei. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 49: 201–211. , , .
- 2000. Frequent ectopic recombination of virulence factor genes in telomeric chromosome clusters of P. falciparum. Nature 407: 1018–1021. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. The genome sequence of the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa. Nature 422: 859–868. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005a. Sequencing of Aspergillus nidulans and comparative analysis with A. fumigatus and A. oryzae. Nature 438: 1105–1115. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005b. Genomics of the fungal kingdom: insights into eukaryotic biology. Genome Research 15: 1620–1631. , , , ,
- 2003. Global analysis of protein expression in yeast. Nature 425: 737–741. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Heading for disaster: Fusarium graminearum on cereal crops. Molecular Plant Pathology 5: 515–525. , .
- 2005. Estimating the tempo and mode of gene family evolution from comparative genomic data. Genome Research 15: 1153–1160. , , , ,
- 2007. Gene family evolution across 12 Drosophila genomes. PLoS Genetics 3: 2135–2146. , , .
- 2001. Molecular evidence for the early colonization of land by fungi and plants. Science 293: 1129–1133. , , , , , .
- 2001. mrbayes: Bayesian inference of phylogenetic trees. Bioinformatics 17: 754–755. ,
- 1994. Pot2, an inverted repeat transposon from the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Molecular & General Genetics 245: 339–348. , , .
- 1997. Cutinase A of Botrytis cinerea is expressed, but not essential, during penetration of gerbera and tomato. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 30–38. , , , , .
- 2007. Roles for rice membrane dynamics and plasmodesmata during biotrophic invasion by the blast fungus. The Plant Cell 19: 706–724. , ,
- 2005. Parallel patterns of evolution in the genomes and transcriptomes of humans and chimpanzees. Science 309: 1850–1854. , , , , , , , ,
- 1985. Enzymatic penetration of the plant cuticle by fungal pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 23: 223–250. .
- 1995. Surface signaling in pathogenesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 4080–4087. , , , , .
- 1991. Role of cutinase in the penetration of apple leaves by Venturia inaequaliz. Phytopathology 81: 1375–1379. , , .
- 2007. Gene microarray analysis using angular distribution decomposition. Journal of Computational Biology 14: 68–83. , , , .
- 2005. Expression divergence between duplicate genes. Trends in Genetics 21: 602–607. , ,
- 2006. Evolutionary conservation of expression profiles between human and mouse orthologous genes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23: 530–540. , .
- 2007. Expression partitioning between genes duplicated by polyploidy under abiotic stress and during organ development. Current Biology 17: 1669–1674. , .
- 2000. The evolutionary fate and consequences of duplicate genes. Science 290: 1151–1155. , .
- 2004. The altered evolutionary trajectories of gene duplicates. Trends in Genetics 20: 544–549. ,
- 1979. Prevention of fungal infection of plants by specific inhibition of cutinase. Science 205: 507–508. , .
- 1994. Cutinase, a lipolytic enzyme with a preformed oxyanion hole. Biochemistry 33: 83–89. , , , , , ,
- 1997. M. grisea repeated DNA element MGT583 is a member of the LINE-1 class of polyA retrotransposons. NCBI Accession AF018033. , , , , .
- 1998. genetree: comparing gene and species phylogenies using reconciled trees. Bioinformatics 14: 819–820. .
- 1993. Cutinase and nonspecific esterase activities in the conidial mucilage of Colletotrichum graminicola. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 42: 37–51. , , , , .
- 1988. Transcriptional activation of a cutinase gene in isolated fungal nuclei by plant cutin monomers. Science 242: 922–925. , , .
- 2006. Organization of chromosome ends in the rice blast fungus, Magnaporthe oryzae. Nucleic Acids Research 34: 4685–4701. , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Molecular and functional characterization of a secreted lipase from Botrytis cinerea. Molecular Plant Pathology 6: 257–267. , ,
- 1994. Cutinase gene disruption in Fusarium solani f. sp. pisi decreases its virulence on pea. The Plant Cell 6: 935–945. , , .
- 2000. Rave genomic changes as a tool for phylogenetics. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 15: 454–459. , .
- 2003. mrbayes 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19: 1572–1574. , .
- 2005. Evolution of a large ribosomal RNA multigene family in filamentous fungi: birth and death of a concerted evolution paradigm. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 5084–5089. , .
- 1999. Yeast genome evolution in the post-genome era. Current Opinion in Microbiology 2: 548–554. , .
- 2007. Magnaporthe grisea Cutinase2 mediates appressorium differentiation and host penetration and is required for full virulence. The Plant Cell 19: 2674–2689. , .
- 2008. Cutinase and hydrophobin interplay: a herald for pathogenesis? Plant Signaling & Behavior 3: 248–250. , .
- 2007. A novel role for catalase B in the maintenance of fungal cell wall integrity during host invasion in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 568–580. , , , , .
- 2006. MGOS: a resource for studying Magnaporthe grisea and Oryza sativa interactions. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 1055–1061. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1992. Cutinase is not required for fungal pathogenicity on pea. The Plant Cell 4: 621–629. ,
- 1994. Cutinase of Nectria haematococca (Fusarium solani f. sp. pisi) is not required for fungal virulence or organ specificity on pea. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 7: 713–725. , , ,
- 2006. Selection for more of the same product as a force to enhance concerted evolution of duplicated genes. Trends in Genetics 22: 642–644. ,
- 1992a. Cloning and analysis of Cut1, a cutinase gene from Magnaporthe grisea. Molecular & General Genetics 232: 174–182. , ,
- 1992b. Disruption of a Magnaporthe grisea cutinase gene. Molecular & General Genetics 232: 183–190. , ,
- 2003. On the trail of a cereal killer: exploring the biology of Magnaporthe grisea. Annual Review of Microbiology 57: 177–202. .
- 2007. mega4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1596–1599. , , ,
- 2006. Structure and activity of two metal ion-dependent acetylxylan esterases involved in plant cell wall degradation reveals a close similarity to peptidoglycan deacetylases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 10968–10975. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1994. clustal-w– improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 2006. The role of transposable element clusters in genome evolution and loss of synteny in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. Genome Biology 7: R16. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Comparative analysis indicates regulatory neofunctionalization of yeast duplicates. Genome Biology 8: R50. ,
- 2008. Evolution of gene sequence and gene expression are not correlated in yeast. Trends in Genetics 24: 109–113. ,
- 2007. Natural history and evolutionary principles of gene duplication in fungi. Nature 449: 54–U36. , , ,
- 2005. A functional screen identifies lateral transfer of beta-glucuronidase (gus) from bacteria to fungi. Molecular Biology and Evolution 22: 308–316. , , , .
- 1986. Mechanism by which contact with plant cuticle triggers cutinase gene expression in the spores of Fusarium solani f. sp. pisi. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 83: 1704–1708. , .
- 2007. paml 4: phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1586–1591. .
- 1995. Diversity of cutinases from plant-pathogenic fungi – different cutinases are expressed during saprophytic and pathogenic stages of Alternaria brassicicola. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 8: 122–130. ,