Integrating two physiological approaches helps relate respiration to growth of Pinus radiata
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 4, pages 841–852, December 2008
How to Cite
Kruse, J. and Adams, M. A. (2008), Integrating two physiological approaches helps relate respiration to growth of Pinus radiata. New Phytologist, 180: 841–852. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02601.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2008
- Received: 16 May 2008; Accepted: 6 July 2008
- 2000. The McCree-de Wit-Penning de Vries-Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 2005. Evans Review No. 2. The hot and the cold: unraveling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 2006. Inter-relationships between light and respiration in the control of ascorbic acid synthesis and accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 8: 1621–1631. , , , , , .
- 2000. Biochemistry and molecular biology of plants. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists. , , .
- 2000. Modeling plant respiration: some guiding principles. Annals of Botany 85: 45–54. , .
- 1991. Plant calorimetry: how to quantitatively compare apples and oranges. Thermochimica Acta 193: 67–82. , , .
- 1999. Calorimetric methods for analysis of plant metabolism. In: KempRB, ed. Handbook of thermal analysis and colorimetry 4. From macromolecules to man . Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 711–763. , .
- 2007. Forest carbon use efficiency: is respiration a constant fraction of gross primary production? Global Change Biology 13: 1157–1167. , , ,
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 79–90. , , .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualization, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 1975. Percolation of starch and soluble carbohydrates from plant tissue for quantitative determination with anthrone. Analytical Biochemistry 68: 87–94. , .
- 1998. Misconceptions about the relation between growth and respiration. Botanica Acta 111: 255–260. , , , , .
- 1997. Plant calorimetry: a window to plant physiology and ecology. Thermochimica Acta 300: 183–197. , , .
- 1994. The relation between plant growth and respiration: a thermodynamic model. Planta 194: 77–85. , , , , , .
- 2004. Use of calorespirometric ratios, heat per CO2 and heat per O2, to quantify metabolic paths and energetics of growin cells. Thermochimica Acta 422: 55–61. , , , , .
- 2007. From biochemistry to physiology: the calorimetry connection. Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics 49: 125–140. , , .
- 1987. Maximizing daily canopy photosynthesis with respect to the leaf nitrogen allocation pattern in the canopy. Oecologia 72: 520–526. , .
- 1991. Calorimetric studies of plant physiology. PhD dissertation, Provo, UT, USA: Brigham Young University. .
- 2000. ‘Fire burn and cauldron bubble’ (W. Shakespeare): what the calorimetric-respirometric (CR) ratio does for our understanding of cells. Thermochimica Acta 355: 115–124. .
- 2008a. Sensitivity of respiratory metabolism and efficiency to foliar nitrogen during growth and maintenance. Global Change Biology 14: 1233–1251. , .
- 2008b. Three parameters comprehensively describe the temperature response of respiratory oxygen reduction. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 954–967. , .
- 2002. Elevated pCO2 favours nitrate reduction in the roots of wild-type tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum cv. Gat.) and significantly alters N-metabolism in transformants lacking functional nitrate reductase in the roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 379: 2351–2367. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Temperature responses are a window to the physiology of dark respiration: differences between CO2 release and O2 reduction shed light on energy conservation. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 901–914. , , .
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer Verlag. , , .
- 2002. Application of an enthalpy balance model of the relation between growth and respiration to temperature acclimation of Eucalyptus globulus seedlings. Proceedings Royal Society London, Series B 269: 1499–1507. , , .
- 2004. Determination of growth and maintenance coefficients by calorespirometry. Functional Plant Biology 31: 929–939. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Biochemistry. San Francisco, CA, USA: Benjamin/Cummings, an imprint of Addison Wesley Longman. , , .
- 1970. An equation for the rate of dark respiration of white clover plants grown under controlled condition. In: ŠetlikI, ed. Prediction and measurement of photosynthetic productivity. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation, 221–229. .
- 1974. Equations for the rate of dark respiration of white clover and grain sorghum, as functions of dry weight, photosynthesis rate, and temperature. Crop Science 14: 509–514. .
- 1981. Elemental composition of biomass and its relation to energy content, growth efficiency and yield. Annals of Botany 48: 275–290. , .
- 2003. Control of ascorbate synthesis by respiration and its implications for stress response. Plant Physiology 133: 443–447. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Energy requirement for foliage formation is not constant along canopy light gradients in temperate deciduous trees. New Phytologist 141: 459–470.
- 2002. Dependence of needle architecture and chemical composition on canopy light availability in three North American Pinus species with contrasting needle length. Tree Physiology 22: 747–761. , , ,
- 2004. Within-canopy variation in the rate of development of photosynthetic capacity is proportional to integrated quantum flux density in temperate deciduous trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 293–313. , , .
- 2000. Maintenance respiration correlates with sugar but not nitrogen concentration in dormant plants. Physiologia Plantarum 108: 295–299.
- 1991. Alternative respiration and heat evolution in plants. Plant Physiology 97: 1545–1550. , ,
- 2006. Construction costs, chemical composition and payback time of high and low irradiance leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 2: 355–371. , , , , ,
- 2006. Universal scaling of respiratory metabolism, size and nitrogen in plants. Nature 439: 457–461. , , ,
- 1995. Electron partitioning between the cytochrome and alternative pathways in plant mitochondria. Plant Physiology 109: 829–837. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Foliage, fine-root, woody tissue and stand respiration in Pinus radiata in relation to nitrogen status. Tree Physiology 16: 333–343. , , , , .
- 1982. Thermodynamic optimizing principles in mitochondrial energy conversion. In: SiesH, ed. Metabolic compartmentation. London, USA: Academic Press, 39–69. .
- 1970. Respiration, growth and maintenance in plants. Nature 227: 304–305. .
- 2000. Modeling the components of plant respiration: representation and realism. Annals of Botany 85: 55–67. , .
- 1990. Plant and crop modeling. A mathematical approach to plant and crop physiology. Oxford, UK: Oxford Science Publications. , .
- 2003. Scaling foliar respiration in two contrasting forest canopies. Functional Ecology 17: 101–108. , , , , , .
- 1997. Alternative oxidase: from gene to function. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 703–734. ,
- 1970. The simulation of photosynthetic systems. In: SetlikI, ed. Prediction and measurement of photosynthetic productivity. Wageningen, the Netherlends: Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation, 47–70. , , .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Temporal and spatial variations in leaf herbivory within a canopy of Fagus crenata. Oecologia 137: 226–232. ,