Transforming wheat vacuolar invertase into a high affinity sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase
Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 4, pages 822–831, December 2008
How to Cite
Schroeven, L., Lammens, W., Van Laere, A. and Van den Ende, W. (2008), Transforming wheat vacuolar invertase into a high affinity sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase. New Phytologist, 180: 822–831. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02603.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2008
- Received: 30 April 2008; Accepted: 13 July 2008
- 2004. The three-dimensional structure of invertase (beta-fructosidase) from Thermotoga maritima reveals a bimodular arrangement and an evolutionary relationship between retaining and inverting glycosidases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 18 903–18 910. , , , ,
- 2003. Fructans, but not the sucrosyl-galactosides, raffinose and loliose, are affected by drought stress in perennial ryegrass. Plant Physiology 132: 2218–2229. , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular genetics of fructan metabolism in perennial ryegrass. Plant Biotechnology Journal 3: 459–474. , , , , ,
- 1991. Polymerase and hydrolase activities of Bacillus subtilis levansucrase can be separately modulated by site-directed mutagenesis. Biochemical Journal 279: 35–41. , .
- 2007. Fructan ExoHydrolases (FEHs) in plants: properties, occurrence and 3-D structure. In: ShiomiN, BenkebliaN, OnoderaS, eds. Recent advances in fructooligosaccharides research. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 157–179. , ,
- 2002. The PyMOL molecular graphics system. San Carlos, CA, USA: DeLano Scientific. .
- 1995. Sucrose-fructan 6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme for diverting carbon from sucrose to fructan in barley leaves. Plant Physiology 107: 1249–1255. , , , ,
- 2002. Tryptophan-216 is essential for the transglycosylation activity of endo-β-N-acetylglucosaminidase A. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 283: 680–686. ,
- 2004. Cloning and characterization of a putative fructosyltransferase and two putative invertase genes from the temperate grass Lolium temulentum L. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 557–569. , , .
- 2007. Fructan in temperate forage grasses; agronomy, physiology. In: ShiomiN, BenkebliaN, OnoderaS, eds. Recent advances in fructooligosaccharides research. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 15–46. , ,
- 2003. The enclosed and exposed part of the peduncle of wheat (Triticum aestivum) – spatial separation of fructan storage. New Phytologist 159: 245–252.
- 1993. Evolutionary origins and natural functions of fructans – A climatological, biogeographic and mechanistic appraisal. New Phytologist 123: 3–14. .
- 1991. A classification of glycosyl hydrolases based on amino-acid-sequence similarities. Biochemical Journal 280: 309–316.
- 2007. Fructans from oat and rye: composition and effects on membrane stability during drying. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Biomembranes 1768: 1611–1619. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Transgenic perennial ryegrass plants expressing wheat fructosyltransferase genes accumulate increased amounts of fructan and acquire increased tolerance on a cellular level to freezing. Plant Science 167: 861–868. , , , , ,
- 2008. Coordinated expression of functionally diverse fructosyltransferase genes is associated with fructan accumulation in response to low temperature in perennial ryegrass. New Phytologist 178: 766–780. , , , , , ,
- 1991. Fructosyl transfer from sucrose and oligosaccharides during fructan synthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. New Phytologist 119: 491–497. , , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of invertase: a suite of transcriptional and post-transcriptional mechanisms. Functional Plant Biology 34: 499–507. , , , .
- 2007. The rice genome encodes two vacuolar invertases with fructan exohydrolase activity but lacks the related fructan biosynthesis genes of the Pooideae. New Phytologist 173: 50–62. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Genetic engineering of rice capable of synthesizing fructans and enhancing chilling tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 793–802. , ,
- 2002. Molecular characterization of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase and sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase associated with fructan accumulation in winter wheat during cold hardening. Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 66: 2297–2305. ,
- 2005. Fructan: fructan 1-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme for biosynthesis of graminan oligomers in hardened wheat. Planta 223: 90–104. ,
- 2005. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a novel 6&1-FEH from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) preferentially degrading small graminans like bifurcose. Gene 358: 93–101. , ,
- 2007. Conversion of a cyclodextrin glucanotransferase into an R-amylase: assessment of directed evolution strategies. Biochemistry 46: 11216–11222. , ,
- 2008. Crystal structures of Arabidopsis thaliana cell-wall invertase mutants in complex with sucrose. Journal of Molecular Biology 377: 378–385. , , , ,
- 2006. Molecular and functional characterization of a cDNA encoding fructan:fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase (6G-FFT)/fructan:fructan 1-fructosyltransferase (1-FFT) from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2719–2734. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Influencing the binding configuration of sucrose in the active sites of chicory fructan 1-exohydrolase and sugar beet fructan 6-exohydrolase. New Phytologist 178: 572–580. , , ,
- 2007. Unraveling the difference between invertases and fructan exohydrolases: a single amino acid (Asp239) substitution transforms Arabidopsis cell-wall invertase 1 into a fructan 1-exohydrolase. Plant Physiology 145: 616–625. , , , , , ,
- 1993. Nomenclature and diagrammatic representation of oligomeric fructans – a paper for discussion. New Phytologist 124: 583–594. .
- 2007. Improving freezing tolerance of transgenic tobacco expressing sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase gene from Lactuca sativa. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 89: 37–48. , , , , .
- 2007. Cloning, gene mapping, and functional analysis of a fructan 1-exohydrolase (1-FEH) from Lolium perenne implicated in fructan synthesis rather than in fructan mobilization. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1969–1983. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Levans in excised leaves of Dactylis glomerata: effects of temperature, light, sugars and senescence. Journal of Plant Biology 50: 671–680. ,
- 2001. Roles of the fructans from leaf sheaths and from the elongating leaf bases in the regrowth following defoliation of Lolium perenne L. Planta 213: 109–120. , , , .
- 2004. Distinct regulation of sucrose:sucrose-1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) and sucrose:fructan-6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT), the key enzymes of fructan synthesis in barley leaves: 1-SST as the pacemaker. New Phytologist 161: 735–748. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Cloning and functional characterization of a cDNA encoding barley soluble acid invertase (HvINV1). Plant Science 168: 249–258. , , , ,
- 1991. Fructan metabolism in grasses and cereals. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 77–101. , .
- 2007. Lolium perenne, backbone of sustainable development, source of fructans for grazing animals and potential source of novel enzymes. In: ShiomiN, BenkebliaN, OnoderaS, eds. Recent advances in fructooligosaccharides research. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 231–258. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Studies on identifying the catalytic role of Glu-204 in the active site of yeast invertase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271: 13953–13958. , .
- 2006. Developing fructan-synthesizing capability in a plant invertase via mutations in the sucrose-binding box. Plant Journal 48: 228–237. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Using natural variation to investigate the function of individual amino acids in the sucrose-binding box of fructan: fructan 6G-fructosyltransferase (6G-FFT) in product formation. Plant Molecular Biology 58: 597–607. , , ,
- 2007. Prebiotics: the concept revisited. Journal of Nutrition 137: 830S–837S. .
- 2004. Function and regulation of plant invertases: sweet sensations. Trends in Plant Science 9: 606–613. , .
- 1993. Fructan contents and dry-matter deposition in different tissues of the wheat-grain during development. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 179–187. , ,
- 1977. A rapid, sensitive, and versatile assay for protein using Coomassie Brilliant Blue G250. Analytical Biochemistry 79: 544–552. , .
- 1995. Purification, cloning, and functional expression of sucrose: fructan 6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 11652–11656. , , , ,
- 1999. Invertases. Primary structures, functions, and roles in plant development and sucrose partitioning. Plant Physiology 121: 1–7.
- 2006. Contribution of W229 to the transglycosylation activity of 4-alpha-glucanotransferase from Pyrococcus furiosus. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Proteins and Proteomics 1764: 1633–1638. , , , , ,
- 2003. Fructan 1-exohydrolases β(2,1)-trimmers during graminan biosynthesis in stems of wheat – Purification, characterization, mass mapping, and cloning of two fructan 1-exohydrolase isoforms. Plant Physiology 131: 621–631. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Fructan synthesizing and degrading activities in chicory roots (Cichorium intybus L.) during field-growth, storage and forcing. Journal of Plant Physiology 149: 43–50. ,
- 2007. Fructans in dicotyledonous plants: occurrence and metabolism. In: ShiomiN, BenkebliaN, OnoderaS, eds. Recent advances in fructooligosaccharides research. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 1–14. ,
- 1996. Purification and characterization of 1-SST, the key enzyme initiating fructan biosynthesis in young chicory roots (Cichorium intybus). Physiologia Plantarum 98: 455–466. , , , , ,
- 2005. Cloning, characterization and functional analysis of novel 6-kestose exohydrolases (6-KEHs) from wheat (Triticum aestivum). New Phytologist 166: 917–932. , , , ,
- 2002. Inulin metabolism in dicots: chicory as a model system. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 803–813. ,
- 2006. Purification, cloning and functional characterization of a fructan 6-exohydrolase from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 213–223. , , , , ,
- 2006. X-ray diffraction structure of a cell-wall invertase from Arabidopsis thaliana. Acta Crystallographica Section D-Biological Crystallography 62: 1555–1563. , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Cloning of sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyltransferase from onion and synthesis of structurally defined fructan molecules from sucrose. Plant Physiology 117: 1507–1513. , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Fructan: more than a reserve carbohydrate? Plant Physiology 120: 351–359. ,
- 2001. Fructan biosynthesis and fructosyltransferase evolution: expression of the 6-SFT (sucrose:fructan 6-fructosyltransferase) gene in crested wheatgrass (Agropyron cristatum). Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1203–1213. , .
- 2008. Molecular dissection of variation in carbohydrate metabolism related to water-soluble carbohydrate accumulation in stems of wheat. Plant Physiology 146: 441–454. , , , , ,
- 2007. Graminan metabolism in cereals: wheat as a model system. In: ShiomiN, BenkebliaN, OnoderaS, eds. Recent advances in fructooligosaccharides research. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 201–212. , ,
- 2008. Tailor-made fructooligosaccharides by a combination of substrate and genetic engineering. ChemBioChem 9: 143–149. , , , ,