Ryegrass leaf fructan synthesis is oxygen dependent and abolished by endomembrane inhibitors
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 4, pages 832–840, December 2008
How to Cite
Cairns, A. J., Turner, L. B. and Gallagher, J. A. (2008), Ryegrass leaf fructan synthesis is oxygen dependent and abolished by endomembrane inhibitors. New Phytologist, 180: 832–840. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02616.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2008
- Received: 29 April 2008; Accepted: 15 July 2008
- 2004. Sugar and fructan accumulation during metabolic adjustment between respiration and fermentation under low oxygen conditions in wheat roots. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 93–102. , , .
- 1992. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. V. Enzymatic de novo synthesis of large fructans from sucrose. New Phytologist 122: 253–259. .
- 1995. Effects of enzyme concentration on oligofructan synthesis from sucrose. Phytochemistry 40: 705–708. .
- 2003. Fructan biosynthesis in transgenic plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 549–567. .
- 1994. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. VI. Optimisation and stability of enzymatic fructan synthesis. New Phytologist 126: 3–10. , .
- 2002. Starch metabolism in the fructan-grasses: patterns of starch accumulation in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 293–305. , , , .
- 2004. Absence of turnover and futile cycling of sucrose in leaves of Lolium temulentum L. Implications for metabolic compartmentation. Planta 219: 836–846. , .
- 1999. Characterisation of the enzymatic polymerisation of 2,6-linked fructan by leaf extracts from Timothy grass (Phleum pratense). New Phytologist 142: 79–91. , , , .
- 1988. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. I. Chromatographic characterisation of oligofructans and their labelling patterns following 14CO2 feeding. New Phytologist 109: 399–405. , .
- 1989. Fructan biosynthesis in excised leaves of Lolium temulentum L. III. A comparison of the in vitro properties of fructosyl transferase activities with the characteristics of in vivo fructan accumulation. New Phytologist 112: 343–352. , , .
- 2005. Molecular genetics of fructan metabolism in perennial ryegrass. Plant Biotechnology Journal 3: 459–474. , , , , ,
- 1998. Golgi-disturbing agents. Histochemistry and Cell Biology 109: 571–590. , .
- 2004. Cloning and characterisation of a putative fructosyltransferase and two putative invertase genes from the temperate grass Lolium temulentum L. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 557–569. , , .
- 1983. Ultrastructure of storage cells in Jerusalem artichoke tubers (Helianthus tuberosus L.). Vesicle formation during inulin synthesis. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenphysiologie 111: 253–260.
- 2006. A plant endoplasmin supports the protein secretory pathway and has a role in proliferating tissues. Plant Journal 48: 657–673. , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Rubisco small subunit, chlorophyll a/b binding protein and sucrose-6-fructosyl transferase gene expression and sugar status in single barley leaf cells in situ. Cell type specificity and induction by light. Plant Physiology 130: 1335–1348. , , , , , .
- 2004. Distinct regulation of sucrose: sucrose-1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) and sucrose: fructan-6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT) the key enzymes of fructan synthesis in barley leaves: 1-SST as the pacemaker. New Phytologist 161: 735–748. , , , , , ,
- 1987. Maximum likelihood programme, release 3.08. Oxford, UK: Numerical Algorithms Group. .
- 2002. Comparative genotoxic effect of vincristine, vinblastine and vinorelbine in somatic cells of Drosophila melanogaster. Mutation Research 519: 141–149. , , , , , .
- 1996. Purification and characterisation of fructan:fuctan fructosyltransferase from chicory (Chichorium intybus L.) roots. Planta 199: 493–502. , , , ,
- 1999. Fructan: more than a reserve carbohydrate? Plant Physiology 120: 351–359. ,
- 1983. Fructan metabolism in cereals: induction in leaves and compartmentation in protoplasts and vacuoles. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenphysiologie 112: 359–372. , ,
- 1992. Fructosyl transferase activity in the tissue-macerating preparation, Pectolyase Y-23; Physiological role of fructosyl transfer in Aspergillus and significance for studies of fructan synthesis in grasses. New Phytologist 121: 525–533. , , .