Bryophyte physiological responses to, and recovery from, long-term nitrogen deposition and phosphorus fertilisation in acidic grassland
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 180, Issue 4, pages 864–874, December 2008
How to Cite
Arróniz-Crespo, M., Leake, J. R., Horton, P. and Phoenix, G. K. (2008), Bryophyte physiological responses to, and recovery from, long-term nitrogen deposition and phosphorus fertilisation in acidic grassland. New Phytologist, 180: 864–874. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02617.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2008
- Received: 23 May 2008; Accepted: 18 July 2008
- 1989. Chemical analysis of ecological materials. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. .
- 2006. Physiological changes and UV protection in the aquatic liverwort Jungermannia exsertifolia subsp. cordifolia along an altitudinal gradient of UV-B radiation. Functional Plant Biology 33: 1025–1036. , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Effects of intermittent desiccation on nutrient economy and growth of two ecologically contrasted mosses. Annals of Botany 79: 299–309. .
- 2000. Mineral nutrition, substratum ecology, and pollution. In: ShawAJ, GoffinetB, eds. Bryophyte biology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 248–311. .
- 2002. Effects on bryophytes and lichens. In: BellJNB, TreshowM, eds. Air pollution and plant life. Chichester, UK: Wiley, 309–342. .
- 1992. Effects of an experimentally applied increase in ammonium on growth and amino acid metabolism of Sphagnum cuspidatum Ehrh. ex Hoffm. from differently polluted areas. New Phytologist 120: 265–274. , , .
- 2001. Effects of increased nutrient supply on bryophytes in montane calcareous fens. Journal of Bryology 23: 331–339. ,
- 2002. Effects of light and nitrogen on morphological plasticity of the moss Calliergonella cuspidata. Oikos 96: 355–363. ,
- 2004. Nutritional constraints in ombrotrophic Sphagnum plants under increasing atmospheric nitrogen deposition in Europe. New Phytologist 163: 609–616. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Potassium and phosphorus additions modify the response of Sphagnum capillifolium growing on a Scottish ombrotrophic bog to enhanced nitrogen deposition. Applied Geochemistry 22: 1111–1121. , , , ,
- 2003. The interactions between plant growth, vegetation structure and soil processes in semi-natural acidic and calcareous grasslands receiving long-term inputs of simulated pollutant nitrogen deposition. Environmental Pollution 121: 363–376. , , , , .
- 1996. The role of xanthophyll cycle carotenoids in the protection of photosynthesis. Trends in Plant Science 1: 21–26. , .
- 1997. Dynamics of xanthophyll cycle activity in different antenna subcomplexes in the photosynthetic membranes of higher plants – the relationship between zeaxanthin conversion and nonphotochemical fluorescence quenching. Plant Physiology 115: 1609–1618. , , , ,
- 2004. A chronology of nitrogen deposition in the UK between 1900 and 2000. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 4: 9–23. , , , , , , ,
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2007. Chapter 8 nutrients. In: Bryophyte ecology. Volume 1. Physiological ecology. Ebook sponsored by Michigan Technological University and the International Association of Bryologists. http://www.bryoecol.mtu.edu/ .
- 2001. Characterization of the responses of cork oak (Quercus suber) to iron deficiency. Tree Physiology 21: 1335–1340. , , , ,
- 2001. Impacts of increased nitrogen supply on high Arctic heath: the importance of bryophytes and phosphorus availability. New Phytologist 149: 461–471. , , .
- 2000. Nitrogen fertilization reduces Sphagnum production in bog communities. New Phytologist 147: 527–537. ,
- 1996. Regulation of light harvesting in green plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 655–684. , , .
- INDITE. 1994. Impacts of nitrogen deposition on terrestrial ecosystems. First report of the UK Review Group on Impacts of Nitrogen Deposition. London, UK: Department of Environment.
- 2007. Physiological responses of bryophytes Thuidium tamariscinum and Hylocomium splendens to increased nitrogen deposition. Annals of Botany 99: 161–169. , , , ,
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 1998. Ecological effects of atmospheric reactive nitrogen deposition on semi-natural terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 139: 127–134. , .
- 1987. Chlorophylls and carotenoids: pigments of photosynthetic biomembranes. Methods in Enzymology 148: 350–382. .
- 2004. How phosphorus availability affects the impact of nitrogen deposition on Sphagnum and vascular plants in bogs. Ecosystems 7: 793–804. , ,
- 2002. Combined seasonal and longitudinal variations of element concentrations in two aquatic mosses (Fontinalis antipyretica and F. squamosa). Nova Hedwigia 74: 349–364. , , ,
- 1994. Seasonal changes in photosynthetic pigment composition of aquatic bryophytes. Journal of Bryology 18: 97–113. , ,
- 1994. An experimental investigation into the effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition on two semi-natural grasslands. Journal of Ecology 82: 475–483. , , .
- NEGTAP. 2001. Transboundary Air Pollution: acidification, eutrophication and ground-level ozone in the UK. CEH-Edinburgh, UK: Department for Envrionment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- 2005. Contrasting effects of ammonium enrichment on fen bryophytes. Journal of Bryology 27: 109–117. , , , ,
- 2002. Effects of nitrogen deposition on growth and survival of montane Racomitrium lanuginosum heath. Biological Conservation 104: 83–89. ,
- 2003. Physiological and growth responses of the montane bryophyte Racomitrium lanuginosum to atmospheric nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist 160: 145–155. , ,
- 2003. Effects of enhanced nitrogen deposition and phosphorus limitation on nitrogen budgets of semi-natural grasslands. Global Change Biology 9: 1309–1321. , , , , , .
- 2004. Simulated pollutant nitrogen deposition increases P demand and enhances root-surface phosphatase activities of three plant functional types in a calcareous grassland. New Phytologist 161: 279–289. , , , , , .
- 2006. Atmospheric nitrogen deposition in world biodiversity hotspots: the need for a greater global perspective in assessing N deposition impacts. Global Change Biology 12: 470–476. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Phosphorus supply influences heathland responses to atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Environmental Pollution 148: 191–200. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Diagnostic indicators of elevated nitrogen deposition. Environmental Pollution 144: 941–950. , , , , , ,
- 2002. The changing flora of the UK. London, UK: DEFRA publications. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The effect of herbaceous litter on bryophyte growth. Journal of Bryology 15: 209–217.
- 1992. British plant communities. 3. Grasslands and montane communities. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2000. Biodiversity – global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science 287: 1770–1774. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1995. Chlorophyll fluorescence as a nonintrusive indicator for rapid assessment of in vivo photosynthesis. In: SchulzeED, CaldwellMM, eds. Ecophysiology of photosynthesis. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 49–75. , ,
- 2006. Nitrogen accumulation by six pleurocarpous moss species and their suitability for monitoring nitrogen deposition. Journal of Bryology 28: 46–52. , .
- 2006. Loss of forb diversity in relation to nitrogen deposition in the UK: regional trends and potential controls. Global Change Biology 12: 1823–1833. , , , .
- 2004. Impact of nitrogen deposition on the species richness of grasslands. Science 303: 1876–1879. , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of the phosphatase activities of mosses in relation to their environment. Plant Cell and Environment 24: 1165–1176. , , , .
- 1943. Effects of nutrient-solution concentration on the growth of Marchantia polymorpha. Botanical Gazette 104: 591–601. .
- 2005. Mosses and the struggle for light in a nitrogen-polluted world. Oecologia 142: 159–168. , , .
- 1987. The effects of nitrate, ammonium and temperature on nitrate reductase-activity in Sphagnum species. New Phytologist 105: 103–115. , .