Acclimation of respiratory temperature responses in northern and southern populations of Pinus banksiana
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 1, pages 218–229, January 2009
How to Cite
Tjoelker, M. G., Oleksyn, J., Lorenc-Plucinska, G. and Reich, P. B. (2009), Acclimation of respiratory temperature responses in northern and southern populations of Pinus banksiana. New Phytologist, 181: 218–229. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02624.x
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2008
- Received: 28 May 2008; Accepted: 30 July 2008
- 2000. The McCree-de Wit-Penning de Vries-Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 2006. Heterogeneity of plant mitochondrial responses underpinning respiratory acclimation to the cold in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 940–949. , , , , .
- 2008. Using temperature-dependent changes in leaf scaling relationships to quantitatively account for thermal acclimation of respiration in a coupled global climate–vegetation model. Global Change Biology. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2008.01664.x , , , , , , ,
- 2005a. The hot and the cold: unravelling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 2005b. Response of plant respiration to changes in temperature: mechanisms and consequences of variations in Q10 values and acclimation. In: LambersH, Ribas–CarboM, eds. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 95–135. , , .
- 2000. Acclimation of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) leaf respiration to seasonal and diurnal variations in temperature: the importance of changes in the capacity and temperature sensitivity of respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 15–26. , , .
- 2007. Respiration as a percentage of daily photosynthesis in whole plants is homeostatic at moderate, but not high, growth temperatures. New Phytologist 174: 367–380. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 2007. Impact of temperature on the relationship between respiration and nitrogen concentration in roots: an analysis of scaling relationships, Q10 values and thermal acclimation ratios. New Phytologist 173: 110–120. , , , .
- 1983. Effect of photosynthesis and carbohydrate status on respiratory rates and the involvement of the alternative pathway in leaf respiration. Plant Physiology 72: 598–603. , , .
- 1971. Metabolic acclimation to temperature in arctic and alpine ecotypes of Oxyria digyna. Arctic & Alpine Research 3: 277–289. , , , .
- 2003. Rapid temperature acclimation of leaf respiration rates in Quercus alba and Quercus rubra. Tree Physiology 23: 969–976. , ,
- 2007. Evergreen leaf respiration acclimates to long-term nocturnal warming under field conditions. Global Change Biology 13: 1216–1223. , , , .
- 2007. Acclimation of photosynthesis and respiration is asynchronous in response to changes in temperature regardless of plant functional group. New Phytologist 176: 375–389. , , , , ,
- 2002. Regulation of root respiration in two species of Plantago that differ in relative growth rate: the effect of short- and long-term changes in temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1501–1513. , , .
- 2003. Do temperate rainforest trees have a greater ability to acclimate to changing temperatures than tropical rainforest trees? New Phytologist 157: 55–64. ,
- 2006. On the variability of respiration in terrestrial ecosystems: moving beyond Q10. Global Change Biology 12: 154–164. , , .
- 1999. Acclimation of the respiration/photosynthesis ratio to temperature: insights from a model. Global Change Biology 5: 615–622. , , .
- 1991. The effects of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide and temperature on carbon partitioning, source-sink relations and respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 819–830. , .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 2002. Canopy position affects the temperature response of leaf respiration in Populus deltoides. New Phytologist 154: 609–619. , ,
- 2000. Acclimation of photosynthesis and respiration to simulated climatic warming in northern and southern populations of Acer saccharum: laboratory and field evidence. Tree Physiology 20: 87–96. , , .
- 2006. Plant respiration in a warmer world. Science 312: 536–537. , , , , .
- 2004. Impact of soluble sugar concentrations on the acquisition of freezing tolerance in accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana with contrasting cold adaptation – evidence for a role of raffinose in cold acclimation. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1395–1404. , , , .
- 1995. Acclimation of leaf dark respiration to temperature in alpine and lowland plant species. Annals of Botany 76: 245–252. ,
- 2005. Acclimation of leaf respiration to temperature is rapid and related to specific leaf area, soluble sugars and leaf nitrogen across three temperate deciduous tree species. Functional Ecology 19: 640–647. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation of leaf and root respiration: an investigation comparing inherently fast- and slow-growing plant species. Global Change Biology 9: 895–910. , , , , , .
- 1992. Effect of geographical transfer on growth and survival of jack pine (Pinus banksiana Lamb.) populations. Silvae Genetica 41: 370–376. , .
- 2001. Night-time respiration rate and leaf carbohydrate concentrations are not coupled in two alpine perennial species. New Phytologist 149: 419–430. , .
- 1999. Interspecific and environmentally induced variation in foliar dark respiration among eighteen southeastern deciduous tree species. Tree Physiology 19: 861–870. , , .
- 1961. Comparative physiological ecology of arctic and alpine populations of Oxyria digyna. Ecological Monographs 31: 1–29. , .
- 1999. Fall frost resistance in willows used for biomass production. II. predictive relationships with sugar concentration and dry matter content. Tree Physiology 19: 755–760.
- 1997. Relationship between respiratory depletion of sugars and loss of cold hardiness in coniferous seedlings over-wintering at raised temperatures: indications of different sensitivities of spruce and pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 247–253. , ,
- 1998. Growth and physiology of Picea abies populations from elevational transects: common garden evidence for altitudinal ecotypes and cold adaptation. Functional Ecology 12: 573–590. , , , , ,
- 2003. Nutrient conservation increases with latitude of origin in European Pinus sylvestris populations. Oecologia 136: 220–235. , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic and environmental control of seasonal carbohydrate dynamics in trees of diverse Pinus sylvestris populations. Tree Physiology 20: 837–847. , , , , .
- Turnbull MH. 2008. Thermal acclimation of leaf respiration but not photosynthesis in Populus deltoides×nigra. New Phytologist 178: 123–134. , , , ,
- 1997. Changes in soluble sugars in relation to desiccation tolerance and effects of dehydration on freezing characteristics of Acer platanoides and Acer pseudoplatanus seeds. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 19: 147–154. , .
- 1996. Needle respiration and nitrogen concentration in Scots pine populations from a broad latitudinal range: a common garden test with field grown trees. Functional Ecology 10: 768–776. , , .
- 2008. Scaling of respiration to nitrogen in leaves, stems and roots of higher land plants. Ecology Letters 11: 793–801. , , , , ,
- 1998. Relationships of leaf dark respiration to leaf nitrogen, specific leaf area and leaf life–span: a test across biomes and functional groups. Oecologia 114: 471–482. , , , , , , .
- 1969. The influence of growing temperature on photosynthesis and respiration of Pinus radiata seedlings. New Zealand Journal of Botany 7: 43–55. .
- 1991. Effects of climate change on plant respiration. Ecological Applications 1: 157–167. .
- 1995. Foliar maintenance respiration of subalpine and boreal trees and shrubs in relation to nitrogen content. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 765–772. .
- 2007. Seed transfer and climate change effects on radial growth of jack pine populations in a common garden in Petawawa, Ontario, Canada. Forest Ecology and Management 242: 636–647. , , , , , .
- 1998. The effect of nutrition on the seasonal course of needle respiration in Norway spruce stands. Trees 12: 130–138. ,
- 1999. Acclimation of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) seedlings to high temperatures. Tree Physiology 19: 519–525. , .
- 2005. Linking leaf and root trait syndromes among 39 grassland and savannah species. New Phytologist 167: 493–508. , , , ,
- 1999a. Acclimation of respiration to temperature and CO2 in seedlings of boreal tree species in relation to plant size and relative growth rate. Global Change Biology 5: 679–691. , , .
- 2001. Modelling respiration of vegetation: evidence for a general temperature-dependent Q10. Global Change Biology 7: 223–230. , , .
- 2008. Coupling of respiration, nitrogen, and sugars underlies convergent temperature acclimation in Pinus banksiana across wide-ranging sites and populations. Global Change Biology 14: 782–797. , , ,
- 1999b. Changes in leaf nitrogen and carbohydrates underlie temperature and CO2 acclimation of dark respiration in five boreal tree species. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 767–778. , ,
- 2005. Respiration characteristics in temperate rainforest tree species differ along a long-term soil-development chronosequence. Oecologia 143: 271–279. , , , , ,
- 2003. Scaling foliar respiration in two contrasting forest canopies. Functional Ecology 17: 101–114. , , , , , .
- 2000. Respiration as the main determinant of carbon balance in European forests. Nature 404: 861–865. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Growth response of Mountain birch to air and soil temperature: is increasing leaf-nitrogen content an acclimation to lower air temperature? New Phytologist 150: 147–155. , .
- 2004. Response of total night-time respiration to differences in total daily photosynthesis for leaves in a Quercus rubra L. canopy: implications for modelling canopy CO2 exchange. Global Change Biology 10: 925–938. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Irradiance, temperature and rainfall influence leaf dark respiration in woody plants: evidence from comparisons across 20 sites. New Phytologist 169: 309–319. , , , , ,
- 2005. Foliar respiration acclimation to temperature and temperature variable Q10 alter ecosystem carbon balance. Global Change Biology 11: 435–449. , , , .
- 2006. Seasonal variation in the temperature response of leaf respiration in Quercus rubra: foliage respiration and leaf properties. Functional Ecology 20: 778–789. , .