Ecophysiological adjustment of two Sphagnum species in response to anthropogenic nitrogen deposition
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 1, pages 208–217, January 2009
How to Cite
Wiedermann, M. M., Gunnarsson, U., Ericson, L. and Nordin, A. (2009), Ecophysiological adjustment of two Sphagnum species in response to anthropogenic nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist, 181: 208–217. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02628.x
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2008
- Received: 9 May 2008; Accepted: 30 July 2008
- 2002a. Nitrogen translocation in Sphagnum mosses: effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist 156: 241–253. .
- 2002b. Nitrogen retention by Sphagnum mosses: responses to atmospheric nitrogen deposition and drought. Canadian Journal of Botany 80: 721–731. .
- 1991. Temperature and precipitation in Sweden 1961–1990. Meteorologi Nr. 81/1991. Norrköping, Sweden: Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI). , ,
- 1971. Heavy metal tolerance in plants. Advances in Ecological Research 7: 1–85. , , .
- 1998. Ammonia: emission, atmospheric transport and deposition. New Phytologist 139: 27–48. , , .
- 1992. Effects of an experimentally applied increase in ammonium on growth and amino-acid metabolism of Sphagnum cuspidatum Ehrh. ex. Hoffm. from differently polluted areas. New Phytologist 120: 265–274. , , .
- 2006. Atmospheric nitrogen deposition has caused nitrogen enrichment and eutrophication of lakes in the northern hemisphere. Global Change Biology 12: 635–643. ,
- 2002. Pre-industrial atmospheric pollution: was it important for the pH of acid-sensitive Swedish lakes? Ambio 31: 460–463. , , ,
- 1998. The effects of air-borne pollutants on species diversity in natural and semi natural European vegetation. Journal of Ecology 86: 717–738. , , .
- 2007. Estimation of stand-level leaf area for boreal bryophytes. Oecologia 151: 584–592. , .
- 2004. Dissolved organic nitrogen dominates in European bogs under increasing atmospheric N deposition. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: GB4018. doi: 10.1029/2004GB002267. ,
- 2001. Four thousand years of atmospheric lead pollution in northern Europe: A summary from Swedish lake sediments. Journal of Paleolimnology 25: 421–435. , , ,
- 2002. Nitrogen, translocation and Sphagnum mosses. New Phytologist 156: 140–141. .
- 2002. toxicity in higher plants: A critical review. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 567–584. , .
- 2007. Effects of nutrient addition on vegetation and carbon cycling in an ombrotrophic bog. Global Change Biology 13: 1168–1186. , , .
- 2007. Potassium and phosphorus additions modify the response of Sphagnum capillifolium growing on a Scottish ombrotrophic bog to enhanced nitrogen deposition. Applied Geochemistry 22: 1111–1121. , , , ,
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21: 387–393. , , , .
- 1963. Ion exchange in Sphagnum and its relation to bog ecology. Annales Botanici Fennici 106: 309–327. .
- 1982. The ecology of Sphagnum. In: , ed. Bryophyte ecology. London, UK: Chapman and Hall, 229–289. , .
- 2003. Organic nitrogen deposition on land and coastal environments: A review of methods and data. Atmospheric Environment 37: 2173–2191. , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular and physiological aspects of nitrate uptake in plants. Trends in Plant Science 3: 389–395. , .
- 1961. The essential role of calcium in the selective cation transport by plant cells. Plant Physiology 36: 437–444.
- 1954. Amino acids in rain. Tellus 6: 90.
- 2001. Acidification of the world: natural and anthropogenic. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 130: 17–24. .
- 2007. Nitrogen deposition interacts with climate in affecting production and decomposition rates in Sphagnum mosses. Global Change Biology 13: 1810–1821. , , , ,
- 2007. Bryophyte ecology, Vol. 1. Physiological ecology. E-book sponsored by Michigan Technological University and the International Association of Bryologists. http://www.bryoecol.mtu.edu (accessed 3 April 2008). .
- 1992. Water-soluble primary amine compounds in rural continental precipitation. Atmospheric Environment Part A – General Topics 26: 1005–1018. , , , .
- 2001. Effects of temperature, and nitrogen and sulfur deposition, on methane emission from a boreal mire. Ecology 82: 1982–1998. , , ,
- 2002. Dynamics or constancy in Sphagnum dominated mire ecosystems? A 40-year study. Ecography 25: 685–704. , ,
- 2000. Nitrogen fertilization reduces Sphagnum production in bog communities. New Phytologist 147: 527–537. ,
- 2002. Effects of increased nitrogen deposition on the distribution of N-15-labeled nitrogen between Sphagnum and vascular plants. Ecosystems 5: 500–508. , , ,
- 2008. Climate change impact on atmospheric nitrogen deposition in northwestern Europe: a model study. Ambio 37: 9–17. ,
- 2005. Nitrogen deposition onto the United States and western Europe: synthesis of observations and models. Ecological Applications 15: 38–57. , , ,
- 1994. N-demand and the regulation of nitrate uptake. Plant Physiology 105: 3–7. ,
- 1966. Evolutionary divergence among adjacent plant populations. I. The evidence and its theoretical analysis. Heredity 21: 407–441. , .
- 1998. Potential and uptake in seven Sphagnum species. New Phytologist 138: 287–293. , ,
- 1997. Role of free amino acids in the nitrogen economy of arctic cryptogams. Écoscience 4: 75–79.
- 2008. Amino acid uptake among wide-ranging moss species may contribute to their strong position in higher-latitude ecosystems. Plant and Soil 304: 199–208. , , , .
- 2000. Natural nitrogen filter fails in polluted raised bogs. Global Change Biology 6: 583–586. , , .
- 1997. Patterns of retention and utilization of aerially deposited nitrogen in boreal peatlands. Ecoscience 4: 106–116. , .
- 2003. Growth reduction of Sphagnum magellanicum subjected to high nitrogen deposition: the role of amino acid nitrogen concentration. Oecologia 135: 339–345. ,
- 2004. How phosphorus availability affects the impact of nitrogen deposition on Sphagnum and vascular plants in bogs. Ecosystems 7: 793–804. , ,
- 1992. Deposition of nitrogen in Europe. In: GrennfeltP, ThörnelöfE, eds. Critical loads for nitrogen. Nord 41. Copenhagen, Denmark: Nordic Council of Ministers, 239–286. ,
- 2007. Monovalent cation transporters; establishing a link between bioinformatics and physiology. Plant and Soil 301: 1–15. .
- 1994. Interactions between Sphagnum mosses and field layer vascular plants in the development of peat-forming systems. Folia Geobotanica and Phytotaxonomica 29: 483–496. , ,
- 2008. Amino acids and nitrate as signals for the regulation of nitrogen acquisition. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 111–119. , , , .
- 2002. The origin, composition, and rates of organic nitrogen deposition: a missing piece of the nitrogen cycle? Biogeochemistry 57: 99–136. , , , , .
- 2000. Amino acid accumulation and growth of Sphagnum under different levels of N deposition. Ecoscience 7: 474–480. ,
- 2004. Nitrogen uptake by arctic soil microbes and plants in relation to soil nitrogen supply. Ecology 85: 955–962. , , .
- 2005. Nitrogen deposition and the biodiversity of boreal forests: Implications for the nitrogen critical load. Ambio 34: 20–24. , , , ,
- 2004. Nationell miljöövervakning – MATCH-Sverige modellen Metod- och resultatsammanställning för åren 1999–2002 samt diskussion av osäkerheter, trender och miljömål. Meteorologi Report 113. Norrköping, Sweden: Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI). , ,
- 1986. The potential importance of an increased atmospheric nitrogen supply to the growth of ombrotrophic Sphagnum species. New Phytologist 103: 45–55. , , .
- 1999. Atamt1 gene expression and uptake in roots of Arabidopsis thaliana: Evidence for regulation by root glutamine levels. Plant Journal 19: 143–152. , , , , .
- 2006. From transient to steady-state response of ecosystems to atmospheric CO2-enrichment and global climate change: conceptual challenges and need for an integrated approach. Plant Ecology 182: 43–62. .
- 1999. Mires. Acta Phytogeographica Suecica 84: 91–112. , ,
- 2006. The park grass experiment 1856–2006: its contribution to ecology. Journal of Ecology 94: 801–814. , , , , , .
- 1975. The effect of several protein amino acids and some inorganic nitrogen sources on the growth of Sphagnum nemoreum. Physiologia Plantarum 35: 194–199. .
- 1972. Rapid population differentiation in a mosaic environment. II. Morphological variation in Anthoxanthum odoratum. Evolution 26: 309–405. , .
- 2008. Evolution in ecological field experiments: implications for effect size. Ecology Letters 11: 199–297. , , ,
- 2003. Regional differences in the occurrence of understorey species reflect nitrogen deposition in Swedish forests. Ambio 32: 91–97. , , ,
- 2004. Expansion of invasive species on ombrotrophic bogs: desiccation or high N deposition? Journal of Applied Ecology 41: 139–150. , , , , .
- 2003. The role of bryophytes in carbon and nitrogen cycling. Bryologist 106: 395–409. .
- 1992. Competition between two Sphagnum species under different deposition levels. Journal of Bryology 17: 71–80. .
- 1995. How Sphagnum bogs down other plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 270–275.
- 2000. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration and increased nitrogen deposition on growth and chemical composition of ombrotrophic Sphagnum balticum and oligo-mesotrophic Sphagnum papillosum. Journal of Bryology 22: 175–182. , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of high-affinity nitrate transporter genes and high-affinity nitrate influx by nitrogen pools in roots of barley. Plant Physiology 123: 307–318. , , , , , .
- 2003. Response of Sphagnum fuscum to nitrogen deposition: A case study of ombrogenous peatlands in Alberta, Canada. Bryologist 106: 235–245. , , ,
- 2007. Global change shifts vegetation and plant-parasite interactions in a boreal mire. Ecology 88: 454–464. , , , ,
- 1985. Nitrate reductase-activity in Sphagnum fuscum in relation to wet deposition of nitrate from the atmosphere. New Phytologist 99: 381–388. , , .
- 1987a. The fate of some components of acidic deposition in ombrotrophic mires. Environmental Pollution 45: 61–72. , .
- 1987b. The effect of nitrate, ammonium and temperature on nitrate reductase activity in Sphagnum species. New Phytologist 105: 103–115. , .