Precipitation timing and magnitude differentially affect aboveground annual net primary productivity in three perennial species in a Chihuahuan Desert grassland
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 1, pages 230–242, January 2009
How to Cite
Robertson, T. R., Bell, C. W., Zak, J. C. and Tissue, D. T. (2009), Precipitation timing and magnitude differentially affect aboveground annual net primary productivity in three perennial species in a Chihuahuan Desert grassland. New Phytologist, 181: 230–242. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02643.x
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2008
- Received: 15 August 2008; Accepted: 24 August 2008
- 2003. Geochemical indicators of external additions to soils in Big Bend National Park, Texas. Soil Science 168: 200–208. , , ,
- 2004. Water pulses and biogeochemical cycles in arid and semiarid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 221–235. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Enhanced monsoon precipitation and nitrogen deposition affect leaf traits and photosynthesis differently in spring and summer in the desert shrub Larrea tridentata. New Phytologist 169: 799–808. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The effects of precipitation timing on sagebrush steppe vegetation. Journal of Arid Environments 64: 670–697. , , , .
- 2008. Soil microbial responses to temporal variations of moisture and temperature in a Chihuahuan Desert grassland. Microbial Ecology 56: 153–167. , , , ,
- 1996. Response of a grassland cactus to frequency and size of rainfall events in a North American shortgrass steppe. Journal of Ecology 84: 177–183. , , .
- 2000. Discovering statistics using SPSS for windows. Trowbridge, UK: The Cromwell Press Ltd.
- 2000. The Canadian Centre for climate modeling and analysis global coupled model and its climate. Climate Dynamics 16: 451–467. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Precipitation pulse use by an invasive woody legume: the role of soil texture and pulse size. Oecologia 144: 618–627. , , , , , .
- 2001. Root systems of some Chihuahuan desert plants. Journal of Arid Environments 49: 221–263. , .
- 2000. The simulation of SST, sea ice extents and ocean heat transports in a version of the Hadley Centre coupled model without flux adjustments. Climate Dynamics 16: 147–168. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Interactions between winter and summer annuals in the Chihuahuan Desert. Oecologia 111: 123–128. , .
- 2006. Structure and function of a chihuahuan desert ecosystem. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 2002. Desertification alters patterns of aboveground net primary production in Chihuahuan ecosystems. Global Change Biology 8: 247–264. , , , .
- 2001. Spatial heterogeneity in Chihuahuan Desert vegetation: implications for sampling methods in semi-arid ecosystems. Journal of Arid Environments 47: 257–270. , ,
- 2004a. Convergence across biomes to a common rain-use efficiency. Nature 429: 651–654. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004b. Precipitation pulses and carbon fluxes in semiarid and arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 254–268. , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Controls of grass and shrub aboveground production in the Patagonian steppe. Ecological Applications 10: 541–549. , .
- 1997. The second Hadley Centre coupled ocean atmosphere GCM: model description, spinup and validation. Climate Dynamics 13: 103–134. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Frequency and extent of water limitation to primary production in a mesic temperate grassland. Ecosystems 4: 19–28. , , .
- 2002. Rainfall variability, carbon cycling, and plant species diversity in a mesic grassland. Science 298: 2202–2205. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Variation among biomes in temporal dynamics of aboveground primary production. Science 291: 481–484. , .
- 2000. Multivariate statistics for wildlife and ecology research. New York, NY, USA: Springer Science+Business Media. , ,
- 2008. Aboveground net primary production dynamics in a northern Chihuahuan Desert ecosystem. Oecologia 155: 123–132. , , , , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 25–51.
- 2001. Inter-annual variation in primary production of a semi-arid grassland related to previous-year production. Journal of Vegetation Science 12: 137–142. , , , .
- 2004. Plant responses to precipitation in desert ecosystems: integrating functional types, pulses, thresholds, and delays. Oecologia 141: 282–294. , .
- Physiological responses of two contrasting desert plant species to precipitation variability are differentially regulated by soil moisture and nitrogen dynamics. Global Change Biology. , , , , . (in press.
- 1998. Trees and shrubs of the trans-pecos and adjacent areas. Austin, TX, USA: University of Texas Press. .
- 2000. Grasses of the trans-pecos and adjacent areas. Marathon, TX, USA: Iron Mountain Press. .
- 2004. Cacti of the trans-pecos and adjacent areas. Lubbock, TX, USA: Texas Tech University Press. , .
- 2000. Leaf and stem area relationships to masses and their height distributions in native grasses. Agronomy Journal 92: 225–230. , , , .
- 2004. Modifying the ‘pulse reserve’ paradigm for deserts of North America: precipitation pulses, soil water, and plant responses. Oecologia 141: 194–210. , , , .
- 1999. Impact of drought on desert shrubs: effects of seasonality and degree of resource island development. Ecological Monographs 69: 69–106. , , , , .
- 1999. Standard soil methods for long-term ecological research. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , , ,
- 1982. Small rainfall events: an ecological role in semiarid regions. Oecologia 53: 301–304. , .
- 1988. Primary production of the central grassland region of the United States. Ecology 69: 40–45. , , , .
- 1998. Plant-soil interactions in deserts. Biogeochemistry 42: 169–187. , .
- 2000. Nutrient losses in runoff from grassland and shrubland habitats in southern New Mexico: II. Field plots. Biogeochemistry 49: 69–86. , ,
- 2004. Thresholds, memory, and seasonality; understanding pulse dynamics in arid/semi-arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 191–193. , , , .
- 2000. Modeling multiyear observations of soil moisture recharge in the semiarid American Southwest. Water Resources Research 36: 2233–2246. , , , .
- 2004. The effect of mean and variance in resource supply on survival of annuals from Mediterranean and desert environments. Oecologia 141: 353–362. , ,
- 2001. Physiological and morphological traits of exotic, invasive exotic, and native plant species in tallgrass prairie. International Journal of Plant Science 162: 785–792. , .
- 2006. Multi-scale temporal variation in water availability: implications for vegetation dynamics in arid and semi-arid ecosystems. Journal of Arid Environments 65: 219–234. , .
- 2003. Resource pulses in arid environments – patterns of rain, patterns of life. New Phytologist 157: 167–173. , .
- 1986. Pattern and process in desert ecosystems. Albuquerque, NM, USA: University of New Mexico Press. .
- 2006. Vegetation structure constrains primary production response to water availability in the Patagonian steppe. Ecology 87: 952–962. , .