Cellular responses in the cyanobacterial symbiont during its vertical transfer between plant generations in the Azolla microphylla symbiosis
Version of Record online: 13 OCT 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 1, pages 53–61, January 2009
How to Cite
Zheng, W., Bergman, B., Chen, B., Zheng, S., Xiang, G. and Rasmussen, U. (2009), Cellular responses in the cyanobacterial symbiont during its vertical transfer between plant generations in the Azolla microphylla symbiosis. New Phytologist, 181: 53–61. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02644.x
- Issue online: 3 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 13 OCT 2008
- Received: 18 February 2008; Accepted: 8 August 2008
Vol. 181, Issue 2, 504, Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
- 1999. Heterocyst and akinete differentiation in cyanobacteria. New Phytologist 144: 3–33. , .
- 1987. Endophyte transmission and activity in the Anabaena-Azolla association. Plant and Soil 100: 183–212. .
- 2007. Cyanobacterial associations. In: ElmerichC, NewtonWE, eds. Associative and endophytic nitrogen-fixing bacteria and cyanobacterial associations, Vol. 5. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 257–301. , , .
- 1999. Structure of gram-negative cell walls and their derived membrane vesicles. Journal of Bacteriology 181: 4725–4733. .
- 1990. Azolla–Anabaena symbiosis: biochemistry, ultrastructure and molecular biology. In: RaiAN, ed. Handbook of symbiotic cyanobacteria. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press Inc., 65–118. , .
- 1991. Are bacteria the third partner of the Azolla–Anabaena symbiosis? Plant and Soil 137: 157–160.
- 2000. Microbial biofilms: from ecology to molecular genetics. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 64: 847–867. , .
- 1996. Akinete differentiation in Anabaena circinalis (cyanophyta). Journal of Phycology 32: 557–565. , .
- 1982. Function, structure and composition of cell walls and external layers. In: CarrNG, WhittonBA, eds. The biology of cyanobacteria. Boston, MA, USA: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 333–357. ,
- 2004. Biofilm formation in plant–microbe associations. Current Opinion in Microbiology 7: 602–609.
- 1992. Anabaena azollae akinete in the sporocarps of Azolla filiculoides Lam. Symbiosis 14: 247–264. , ,
- 1998. The junctional pore complex, a prokaryotic secretion organelle, is the molecular motor underlying gliding motility in cyanobacteria. Current Biology 21: 1161–1169. ,
- 2000. Cyanobacterial cell wall: news from an unusual prokaryotic envelope. Journal of Bacteriology 182: 1191–1199. ,
- 1995. Virulence factors are released from Pseudomonas aeruginosa in association with membrane vesicles during normal growth and exposure to gentamicin: a novel mechanism of enzyme secretion. Journal of Bacteriology 177: 3998–4008. , .
- 2002. Azolla–Anabaena symbiosis. In: RaiAN, BergmanB, RasmussenU, eds. Cyanobacteria in symbiosis. Dordrechr, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 153–178. , .
- 1997. Akinete formation in planktonic Anabaena spp. (cyanobacteria) by treatment with low temperature. Journal of Phycology 33: 576–584. , , .
- 1980. Azolla: botany, physiology and use as green manure. Economic Botany 34: 111–153. , .
- 1990. Ultrastructural characterization of eubacteria residing within leaf cavity of symbiotic and cyanobiont-free Azolla mexicana. Current Opinion in Microbiology 21: 123–129. ,
- 1991. Occurrence and ultrastructural characterization of bacteria in association with and isolated from Azolla caroliniana. Applied Environmental Microbiology 57: 3629–3636. ,
- 2008a. Differential patterns of evolution and distribution of the symbiotic behaviour in nostocacean cyanobacteria. International Journal of Systematic Evolutionary Microbiology 58: 553–564. , , , , , ,
- 2008b. Diversity and specificity of Azolla cyanobionts. Journal of Phycology 44: 60–70. , , , ,
- 1993. The Azolla–Anabaena symbiosis: endophyte continuity in Azolla life-cycle is facilitated by epidermal trichomes I. Partitioning of the endophytic Anabaena into developing sporocarps. New Phytologist 123: 53–64. , .
- 1989. The Azolla–Anabaena symbiosis: basic biology. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 193–210. , .
- RaiAN, BergmanB, RasmussenU, eds. 2002. Cyanobacterial–plant symbiosis. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- 2000. Highly ordered vertical structure of Synechococcus populations within the one-millimeter-thick photic zone of a hot spring cyanobacterial mat. Applied Environmental Microbiology 66: 1038–1049. , , .
- 1994. Early communication in the Gunnera–Nostoc symbiosis: plant induced cell differentiation and protein synthesis in the cyanobacterium. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 7: 696–702. , ,
- 2006. Membrane vesicles: an overlooked component of the matrices of biofilms. Journal of Bacteriology 188: 5945–5957. , .
- 2002. Biofilms as complex differentiated communities. Annual Review of Microbiology 56: 187–209. , , , .
- 1979. Akinetes of the cyanobaterium Nostoc PCC 7524: macromolecular composition, structure and control of differentiation. Journal of General Microbiolgy 115: 273–287. , , .
- 2000. Cyanobacterial dominance in the polar regions, In: WhittonB, PottsM, eds. Ecology of the Cyanobacteria: their diversity in space and time. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Press, 321–340. .
- 2000. Vesicle-mediated transfer of virulence genes from Escherichia coli O157:H7 to other enteric bacteria. Applied Environmental Microbiology 66: 4414–4420. , , , .
- 1994. New data on the infection of the developing sporocarps with the symbionts of Azolla during the sporulation. Journal of Fujian Academy of Agricultural Sciences 9: 49–54. , .
- 1988. Electron microscopic observations of symbiotic relationship between Azolla and Anabaena during the formation of the sporocarp of Azolla. Acta Botanica Sinica 30: 664–666. , , , , ,
- 1999. Genetic diversity and classification of cyanobacteria in different Azolla species by the use of PCR fingerprinting. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99: 1187–1193. , , ,