Physiological differences among two Penstemon species and their hybrids in field and common garden environments
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 2, pages 478–488, January 2009
How to Cite
Kimball, S. and Campbell, D. (2009), Physiological differences among two Penstemon species and their hybrids in field and common garden environments. New Phytologist, 181: 478–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02654.x
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2008
- Received: 19 May 2008; Accepted: 4 September 2008
- 1994. Genetical aspects of hybrid embryo abortion in the genus Lens L. Heredity 72: 193–200. ,
- 2000. The evolution of plant ecophysiological traits: recent advances and future directions. BioScience 11: 979–995. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. Natural selection on and predicted responses of ecophysiological traits of swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnate). Journal of Ecology 96: 536–542. , , .
- 2006. Growth and leaf physiology of monkeyflowers with different altitude ranges. Oecologia 148: 183–194. .
- 2005. The evolution of species’ distributions: reciprocal transplants across the elevation ranges of Mimulus cardinalis and M. lewisii. Evolution 59: 1671–1684. , .
- 1997. Natural hybridization and evolution. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 2003. The northern limit of Pinus banksiana Lamb. in Canada: explaining the difference between the eastern and western distributions. Journal of Biogeography 30: 1709–1718. , , ,
- 2005. Drought tolerance in the alpine dandelion, Taraxacum ceratophorum (Asteraceae), its exotic congener T. officinale, and interspecific hybrids under natural and experimental conditions. American Journal of Botany 92: 1311–1321. ,
- 2005. Ecophysiology of first and second generation hybrids in a natural plant hybrid zone. Oecologia 144: 214–225. , , .
- 2007. Evolutionary dynamics of an Ipomopsis hybrid zone: confronting models with lifetime fitness data. American Naturalist 169: 298–310. , .
- 2006. Plasticity of physiology in Lobelia: testing for adaptation and constraint. Evolution 60: 980–990. , ,
- 1972. Origins and ecology of the Sierran alpine flora and vegetation. Ecological Monographs 42: 163–199. , .
- 1940. Experimental studies on the nature of species. III. Environmental responses of climatic races of Achillea. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication No. 520. Washington, DC, USA: Carnegie Institution of Washington. , , .
- 1998. Physiological and morphological variation in Metrosideros polymorpha, a dominant Hawaiian tree species, along an altitudinal gradient: the role of phenotypic plasticity. Oecologia 113: 188–196. , , , , .
- 2004. Phylogenetic relationships and morphological evolution in Penstemon subgenus Dasanthera (Veronicaceae). Systematic Botany 29: 165–175. , .
- 1991. Intercellular transport and photosynthetic differentiation in Chara corallina. Journal of Experimental Biology 42: 33–38. , , ,
- 1937. Genetics and the origin of species. New York, NY, USA: Columbia University Press.
- 1996. Differing selection on plant physiological traits in response to environmental water availability: a test of adaptive hypotheses. Evolution 50: 92–102. .
- 1997. The effect of habitat on parental and hybrid fitness: transplant experiments with Louisiana irises. Evolution 51: 1112–1119. , .
- 1982. Determinants of leaf temperature in California Mimulus species at different altitudes. Oecologia 55: 414–420. , , .
- 2001. A novel meiotic drive locus almost completely distorts segregation in Mimulus (monkeyflower) hybrids. Genetics 169: 347–353. , .
- 2006. Fitness and genetic architecture of parent and hybrid willows in common gardens. Evolution 60: 1215–1227. , , , .
- 1999. The effect of nuclear and cytoplasmic genes on fitness and local adaptation in an annual legume, Chamaecrista fasciculata. Evolution 53: 1734–1743. , .
- 1990. Genetic variation in and covariation between leaf gas exchange, morphology, and development in Polygonum arenastrum, an annual plant. Oecologia 85: 153–158. ,
- 2007. Water use efficiency of twenty-five co-existing Patagonian species growing under different soil water availability. Oecologia 154: 207–217. ,
- 1992. Differences in photosynthetic rate in populations of Achillea lanulosa from two altitudes. Functional Ecology 6: 568–574.
- 2002. Population differentiation and natural selection for water-use efficiency in Impatiens capensis (Balsaminaceae). International Journal of Plant Science 163: 907–912. , , ,
- 2005. Mechanisms of selection for drought stress tolerance and avoidance in Impatiens capensis (Balsaminaceae). American Journal of Botany 92: 37–44. ,
- 2006. Fitness consequences of hybridization between ecotypes of Avena barbata: hybrid breakdown, hybrid vigor, and transgressive segregation. Evolution 60: 1585–1595. , .
- 2001. Environment-dependent performance and fitness of Iris brevicaulis, I. fulva (Iridaceae), and hybrids. American Journal of Botany 88: 933–938. , , , .
- 2008. Links between floral morphology and floral visitors along an elevational gradient in a Penstemon hybrid zone. Oikos 117: 1064–1074.
- 2008. Differential performance of reciprocal hybrids in multiple environments. Journal of Ecology, in press. , ,
- 1999. Alpine plant life: functional plant ecology of high mountain ecosystems, 2nd edn. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- 2003. Natural selection for salt tolerance quantitative trait loci (QTLs) in wild sunflower hybrids: implications for the origin of Helianthus paradoxus, a diploid hybrid species. Molecular Ecology 12: 1225–1235. , , , .
- 2004. Selection on leaf ecophysiological traits in a desert hybrid Helianthus species and early-generation hybrids. Evolution 58: 2682–2692. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Functional coordination between leaf gas exchange and vulnerability to xylem cavitation in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell, & Environment 29: 571–583. , , , , .
- 1998. Narrow hybrid zone between two subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata: Asteraceae). VI. Respiration and water potential. Canadian Journal of Botany 76: 567–574. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetics of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana: pleiotropy contributes to genetic correlations among ecological traits. Molecular Ecology 12: 1137–1151. , ,
- 2005. Productivity, leaf traits and carbon isotope discrimination in 29 Populus deltoides ×P. nigra clones. New Phytologist 167: 53–62. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1942. Isolating mechanisms, evolution, and temperature. Biological Symposia 6: 71–125. .
- 1967. On the computation of saturation vapor pressure. Journal of Applied Meteorology 6: 203–204. .
- 1999. Transgressive segregation, adaptation and speciation. Heredity 83: 363–72. , , .
- 1998. Plant hybridization. New Phytologist 140: 599–624. , .
- 1993. What can morphological and molecular markers tell us about plant hybridization? Critical Reviews in Plant Science 12: 213–241. , .
- 2005. Contrasting seasonal patterns of carbon gain in evergreen and deciduous trees of ancient polar forests. Paleobiology 31: 141–150. , , .
- 1997. Intraspecific variation of leaf pubescence and drought response in Encelia farinosa associated with contrasting desert environments. New Phytologist 135: 635–644. , .
- 2001. Transgressive character expression in a hybrid sunflower species. American Journal of Botany 88: 270–277. , , .
- 2001. Plasticity in water-use efficiency of Picea sitchensis, P. glauca and their natural hybrids. Oecologia 128: 317–325. , , , .
- 1959. The role of hybridization in evolution. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 103: 231–251. .
- 1997. Narrow hybrid zone between two subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata: Asteraceae). IV. Reciprocal transplant experiments. Evolution 51: 95–102. , , , , .
- 2002. Image tool software, UTHSCSA. San Antonio, TX, USA: The University of Texas Health Science Center. , , , .
- 1990. The impact of low temperatures in controlling the geographical distribution of plants. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 326: 585–592. .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Environmental stressors differentially affect leaf ecophysiological responses in two Ipomopsis species and their hybrids. Oecologia 148: 202–212. , .
- 2007. Leaf physiology reflects environmental differences and cytoplasmic background in Ipomopsis (Polemoniaceae) hybrids. American Journal of Botany 94: 1804–1812. , .