On the metabolic origin of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 evolved from darkened light-acclimated leaves in Ricinus communis
Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 2, pages 374–386, January 2009
How to Cite
Gessler, A., Tcherkez, G., Karyanto, O., Keitel, C., Ferrio, J. P., Ghashghaie, J., Kreuzwieser, J. and Farquhar, G. D. (2009), On the metabolic origin of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 evolved from darkened light-acclimated leaves in Ricinus communis. New Phytologist, 181: 374–386. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02672.x
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2008
- Received: 6 August 2008; Accepted: 12 September 2008
- 2000. Photosynthesis, carbohydrate metabolism and respiration in leaves of higher plants. In: LeegoodRC, SharkeyTD, Von CaemmererS, eds. Photosynthesis and metabolism. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic, 153–175. , , , .
- 1983. Relationship between photosynthesis and respiration: the effect of carbohydrate status on the rate of CO2 production by respiration in darkened and illuminated wheat leaves. Plant Physiology 71: 574–581. , .
- 2005. Post-photosynthetic fractionation of stable carbon isotopes between plant organs – a widespread phenomenon. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 1381–1391. , , , ,
- 2007. A new measurement technique reveals rapid post-illumination changes in the carbon isotope composition of leaf-respired CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 469–482. , , , , .
- 2008. Divergence in δ13C of dark respired CO2 and bulk organic matter occurs during the transition between heterotrophy and autotrophy in Phaseolus vulgaris plants. New Phytologist 177: 406–418. , , , , ,
- 1974. Methods of enzymatic analysis. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1959. A rapid method for total lipid extraction and purification. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology 37: 911–917. , .
- 2001. Partitioning net ecosystem carbon exchange with isotopic fluxes of CO2. Global Change Biology 7: 127–145. , , .
- 1976. Rapid and sensitive method for quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2006. Short-term variation in the isotopic composition of organic matter allocated from the leaves to the stem of Pinus sylvestris: effects of photosynthetic and postphotosynthetic carbon isotope fractionation. Global Change Biology 12: 1922–1939. , , , , , , ,
- 1976. Selective inactivation of transacylase components of 2-oxo acid dehydrogenase multienzyme complexes of Escherichia coli. Biochemical Journal 155: 419–427. , .
- 1988. Correlation between the carbon isotope discrimination in leaf starch and sugars of C3 plants and the ratio of intercellular and atmospheric partial pressures of carbon-dioxide. Plant Physiology 88: 1418–1424. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope composition of current-year shoots from Fagus sylvatica in relation to growth, respiration and use of reserves. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 207–219. ,
- 1999. δ13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to δ13c of leaf carbohydrates in Phaseolus vulgaris L. under progressive drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 515–523. , , , ,
- 1997. Determination of the chemical mechanism of malic enzyme by isotope effects. Biochemistry 36: 1141–1147. , , .
- 1983. On the nature of carbon isotope discrimination in C4 species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 205–226. .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the inter-cellular carbon-dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 2007a. δ13C of organic matter transported from the leaves to the roots in Eucalyptus delegatensis: short-term variations and relation to respired CO2. Functional Plant Biology 34: 692–706. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Oxygen isotope enrichment of organic matter in Ricinus communis during the diel course and as affected by assimilate transport. New Phytologist 174: 600–613. , , , .
- 2008. Experimental evidence for diel variations of the carbon isotope composition in leaf, stem and phloem sap organic matter in Ricinus communis. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 941–953. , , , , .
- 2001. δ13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to δ13c of leaf metabolites: comparison between Nicotiana sylvestris and Helianthus annuus under drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 505–515. , , , , ,
- 1993. On the function of mitochondrial metabolism during photosynthesis in spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.) leaves – partitioning between respiration and export of redox equivalents and precursors for nitrate assimilation products. Plant Physiology 103: 1147–1154. , .
- 1982. Use of multiple isotope effects to determine enzyme mechanisms and intrinsic isotope effects – malic enzyme and glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase. Biochemistry 21: 5106–5114. , , , .
- 1992. Malate metabolism and light-enhanced dark respiration in barley mesophyll protoplasts. In: LambersH, Van Der PlasLHW, eds. Molecular, biochemical and physiological aspects of plant respiration. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 221–230. , .
- 2002. Enzyme redundancy and the importance of 2-oxoglutarate in plant ammonium assimilation. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 905–916.
- 2005. Large daily variation in 13C-enrichment of leaf-respired CO2 in two Quercus forest canopies. New Phytologist 167: 377–384. , , ,
- 1991. Modeling of the partitioning, assimilation and storage of nitrate within root and shoot organs of castor bean (Ricinus communis L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1091–1103. , .
- 1994. Phosphorus stress-induced proteoid roots show altered metabolism in Lupinus albus. Plant Physiology 104: 657–665. , , .
- 1958. The concentration and isotopic abundances of atmospheric carbon dioxide in rural areas. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 13: 322–334. .
- 1961. The concentration and isotopic abundances of carbon dioxide in rural and marine air. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 24: 277–298. .
- 2005. C-isotope composition of CO2 respired by shoots and roots: fractionation during dark respiration? Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 241–250. , , , , ,
- 2008. Temporal dynamics of the carbon isotope composition in a Pinus sylvestris stand – from newly assimilated organic carbon to respired CO2. Oecologia 156: 737–750. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Chemical mechanism of homoisocitrate dehydrogenase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry 47: 4169–4180. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Measurement of (carbon) kinetic isotope effect by Rayleigh fractionation using membrane inlet mass spectrometry for CO2-consuming reactions. Functional Plant Biology 33: 1115–1128. , , , .
- 1987. Anapleurotic CO2 fixation by phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in C3 plants. Plant Physiology 84: 58–60. , .
- 1987. Carbon isotope effects on the pyruvate-dehydrogenase reaction and their importance for relative 13C depletion in lipids. Journal of Biological Chemistry 262: 8159–8164. , .
- 2003. The application and interpretation of keeling plots in terrestrial carbon cycle research. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: art. no. 1022. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The uptake and flow of C, N and ions between roots and shoots in Ricinus communis L. 2. grown with low or high nitrate supply. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 733–740. , , .
- 2001. Determination of the mechanism of human malic enzyme with natural and alternate dinucleotides by isotope effects. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 396: 43–48. , , , .
- 1991. Evidence for a nonstatistical carbon isotope distribution in natural glucose. Plant Physiology 96: 609–614. , , .
- 1984. Angewandte Statistik. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- 2003. Fundamentals and systematics of the nonstatistical distributions of isotopes in natural compounds. Naturwissenschaften 90: 537–552. .
- 2008. Respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves depends on CO2 and O2 conditions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 797–802. , , , , ,
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , ,
- 2004. Theoretical considerations about carbon isotope distribution in glucose of C3 plants. Functional Plant Biology 31: 857–877. , , ,
- 2005. Carbon isotope effect predictions for enzymes involved in the primary carbon metabolism of plant leaves. Functional Plant Biology 32: 277–291. , .
- 2008. How stable isotopes may help to elucidate primary nitrogen metabolism and its interaction with (photo)respiration in C3 leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1685–1693. ,
- 2003. Metabolic origin of carbon isotope composition of leaf dark-respired CO2 in French bean. Plant Physiology 131: 237–244. , , , , ,
- 2003. Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex activity in plant cells. European Journal of Biochemistry 270: 1043–1049. , , .
- 2007. Evaluating high time-resolved changes in carbon isotope ratio of respired CO2 by a rapid in-tube incubation technique. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 21: 1352–1360. , , , ,
- 2004. Leaf respiratory CO2 is 13C-enriched relative to leaf organic components in five species of C3 plants. New Phytologist 163: 499–505. , , , .