Factors driving distribution limits in an annual plant community
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 3, pages 734–747, February 2009
How to Cite
Emery, N. C., Stanton, M. L. and Rice, K. J. (2009), Factors driving distribution limits in an annual plant community. New Phytologist, 181: 734–747. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02676.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2008
- Received: 19 June 2008; Accepted: 21 September 2008
- 1990. Community theory and competition in vegetation. In: GraceJB, TilmanD, eds. Perspectives on plant competition. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215–238.
- 2003. Vernal pool vegetation of California: variation within pools. Madrono 50: 129–146. , , , , , , , ,
- 1987. Species assortment along a small-scale gradient in san diego vernal pools. Ph.D. thesis. Davis and San Diego, CA, USA: University of California. .
- 1989. Drought stress and competition effects on the local-distribution of Pogogyne abramsii. Ecology 70: 1083–1089. .
- 2005. The effects of an unpredictable precipitation regime on vernal pool hydrology. Freshwater Biology 50: 2129–2135. .
- 1991. Zonation of Spartina patens and Spartina alterniflora in a New England salt marsh. Ecology 72: 138–148. .
- 1994. Positive interactions in communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 191–193. ,
- 1998. Interactive effects of elevation and burial with wrack on plant community structure in some Rhode Island salt marshes. Journal of Ecology 86: 125–136. , , .
- 2005. Subtle differences in environmental stress along a flooding gradient affect the importance of inter-specific competition in an annual plant community. Plant Ecology 178: 51–59. ,
- 2000. Effects of water regime and competition on the establishment of a native sedge in restored wetlands. Journal of Applied Ecology 37: 971–985. , .
- 1998. Competition and facilitation on elevation gradients in subalpine forests of the northern rocky mountains, USA. Oikos 82: 561–573. .
- 1961. Effects of competition, predation by Thaïs lapillus, and other factors on natural populations of the barnacle Balanus balanoides. Ecological Monographs 31: 61–104. .
- 2006. Causes of pattern in plant communities where environmental change is rapid and species longevity is short. Journal of Vegetation Science 17: 599–614. , , , , , .
- 2006. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on amphibians: a review and prospectus. Biological Conservation 128: 231–240. .
- 1998. Beetle species responses to tropical forest fragmentation. Ecological Monographs 68: 295–323. , , , , .
- 1998. Regional distribution of Thymus serpyllum: management history and dispersal limitation. Ecography 21: 35–43.
- 2003. The structure and dynamics of geographic ranges. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2003. Exotic plant invasions of vernal pools in the central valley of California, USA. Journal of Biogeography 30: 1043–1052. , .
- 1973. Vegetation of exposed sea cliffs at south stack, Anglesey. 2. Experimental studies. Journal of Ecology 61: 819–829. .
- 1981. Habitat partitioning and competitive displacement in cattails (typha) – experimental field studies. American Naturalist 118: 463–474. , .
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Chichester, UK: Wiley. .
- 1986. Competition and the local-distribution of the grass Stipa neomexicana. Ecology 67: 46–57.
- 1981. Spatial and temporal variation in plant species diversity of vernal pools. In: JainS, MoyleP, eds. Vernal pools and intermittent streams. Davis, CA, USA: University of California Davis Institute of Ecology, 198–209. ,
- 1990. The edaphic factor in vernal pool vegetation. In: IkedaDH, SchlisingRA, eds. Vernal pools plants: their habitat and biology. Studies from the Herbarium. Chico, CA, USA: California State University, 31–48. ,
- 2003. A mixed strategy in the annual endemic Aster laurentianus (Asteraceae) – a stress-tolerant, yet opportunistic species. American Journal of Botany 90: 278–283. ,
- 1979. General hypothesis of species-diversity. American Naturalist 113: 81–101.
- 1995. Plant competition along soil-moisture gradients – a field experiment with the desert annual Stipa capensis. Journal of Ecology 83: 253–262.
- 1990. Competitive hierarchies and centrifugal organization in plant communities. In: GraceJ, TilmanD, eds. Perspectives on plant competition. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, Inc., 266–290.
- 1983. Shoreline vegetation in axe lake, Ontario – effects of exposure on zonation patterns. Ecology 64: 331–344. .
- 1998. California vernal pool assessment: preliminary report. Sacramento, CA, USA: Department of Fish and Game, State of California. , , , .
- 1991. Diurnal photosynthesis cycle in cam and noncam seasonal-pool aquatic macrophytes. Ecology 72: 716–727. , .
- 1975. Vegetation zonation in a vernal marsh on the Santa Rosa plateau of riverside county, California. Aliso 8: 281–288. , .
- 2006. Introduction to California soils and plants: serpentine, vernal pools, and other geobotanical wonders. Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA, USA: University of California Press. .
- 1976. Vernal pools of the Santa Rosa plateau, riverside county, California. In: JainS, ed. Vernal pools: their ecology and conservation. Davis, CA, USA: University of California, Institute of Ecology, 22–27.
- 2005. Abiotic constraints at the upper boundaries of two Rumex species on a freshwater flooding gradient. Journal of Ecology 93: 138–147. ,
- 1970. Floristics and plant succession in vernal pools. M.A. thesis, San Francisco, CA, USA: San Francisco State College. .
- 1974. Intrapopulation differentiation in annual plants. 1. Veronica peregrina l. Raised under noncompetitive conditions. Evolution 28: 232–243. .
- 2006. SAS system for mixed models – second edition. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc. , , , ,
- 1982. Distribution ecology variation in plant recruitment over a gradient in relation to insect seed predation. Ecological Monographs 52: 25–42. .
- 1989. Differential predation pressure. A. General mechanism for structuring plant communities along complex environmental gradients? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 4: 158–159. .
- 1980. Algal zonation in the New England rocky inter-tidal community – an experimental analysis. Ecology 61: 333–344.
- 2000. Biotic invasions: causes, epidemiology, global consequences, and control. Ecological Applications 10: 689–710. .
- 1994. Biological models for monitoring species decline: the construction and use of data bases. Royal Society Philosophical Transactions Biological Sciences 344: 69–75. , .
- 2006. Herbivory: effects on plant abundance, distribution and population growth. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B, Biological Sciences 273: 2575–2584. ,
- 2007. Potential impacts of climate change on the distribution of North American trees. Bioscience 57: 939–948. , , , , .
- 2000. Differential effects of four abiotic factors on the germination of salt marsh annuals. American Journal of Botany 87: 1679–1692. , .
- 2001. Spatio-temporal variation of salt marsh seedling establishment in relation to the abiotic and biotic environment. Journal of Vegetation Science 12: 61–74. , .
- 2005. Empirical perspectives on species borders: from traditional biogeography to global change. Oikos 108: 58–75. , , , , , ,
- 1992. Salt-marsh plant zonation – the relative importance of competition and physical factors. Ecology 73: 681–690. , .
- 1990. The population biology of Bromus tectorum in forests – distinguishing the opportunity for dispersal from environmental restriction. Oecologia 84: 519–525. , .
- 2000. Seed dispersal, habitat suitability and the distribution of halophytes across a salt marsh tidal gradient. Journal of Ecology 88: 608–621. .
- 2003. Mantel and partial mantel tests suggest some factors that may control the local distribution of Aster laurentianus at Iles de la Madeleine, Quebec. Plant Ecology 164: 19–27. ,
- 1990. A consensus combined p-value test and the family-wide significance of component tests. Biometrics 46: 303–308. .
- 1982. Quantitative-analysis of vegetation at the Richvale vernal pools, California. American Journal of Botany 69: 734–742. , .
- 2001. Potential impact of climate change on vegetation in the European alps: a review. Climatic Change 50: 77–109. ,
- 1982. Resource competition and community structure. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press.
- 1988. Plant strategies and the dynamics and structure of plant communities. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press.
- 2003. Neutral theory and relative species abundance in ecology. Nature 424: 1035–1037.
- 1985. The shoreline distribution of Juncus pelocarpus along a gradient of exposure to waves – an experimental-study. Aquatic Botany 21: 277–284. , .
- 1987. The ecology of southern California vernal pools: a community profile. In: US Fish and Wildlife Service, eds. Biological report. Washington, DC, USA: US Fish and Wildlife Service. .
- 1990. Life histories of vernal pool plants. In: IkedaDH, SchlisingRA, eds. Vernal pools plants: their habitat and biology. Studies from the Herbarium. Chico, CA, USA: , California State University, 123–146.