Moss (Physcomitrella patens) GH3 proteins act in auxin homeostasis
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 2, pages 323–338, January 2009
How to Cite
Ludwig-Müller, J., Jülke, S., Bierfreund, N. M., Decker, E. L. and Reski, R. (2009), Moss (Physcomitrella patens) GH3 proteins act in auxin homeostasis. New Phytologist, 181: 323–338. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02677.x
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2008
- Received: 31 July 2008; Accepted: 19 September 2008
- 1995. Auxin biosynthesis and metabolism. In: DaviesP, ed. Plant hormones: physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology, 2nd edn. Boston, MA, USA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 39–65, , , , .
- 1999. Metabolism of exogenous auxin by Arabidopsis thaliana: identification of the conjugate Nα-(indol-3-ylacetyl)-glutamine and initiation of a mutant screen. Physiologia Plantarum 105: 207–217. , , , , .
- 2003. Use of an inducible reporter gene system for the analysis of auxin distribution in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Plant Cell Reports 21: 1143–1152. , , .
- 2004. Loss of GH3 function does not affect phytochrome-mediated development in a moss, Physcomitrella patens. Journal of Plant Physiology 161: 823–836. , , , .
- 2003. ILR1 and sILR1 IAA amidohydrolase homologs differ in expression pattern and substrate specificity. Plant Growth Regulation 41: 215–223. , , , ,
- 2004. A novel auxin conjugate hydrolase from Triticum aestivum with substrate specificity for longer side-chain auxin amide conjugates. Plant Physiology 135: 2230–2240. , , ,
- 2008. The auxin conjugate hydrolase family of Medicago truncatula and their expression during the interaction with two symbionts. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 27: 26–38. , , , ,
- 1984. Convenient apparatus for the generation of small amounts of diazomethane. Journal of Chromatography 303: 193–196. .
- 1986. 13C6-[benzene ring]-indole-3-acetic acid. Plant Physiology 80: 14–19. , , .
- 1982. The chemistry and physiology of the bound auxins. Annual Reviews of Plant Physiology 33: 403–430. , .
- 2004. Did auxin play a crucial role in the evolution of novel body plans during the Late-Silurian-Early Devonian radiation of land plants? In: HemsleyAR, PooleI, ed. The evolution of plant physiology: from whole plants to ecosystems. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Linnean Society of London and Elsevier Academic Press, 85–107. , , .
- 2002. Evolutionary patterns in auxin action. Plant Molecular Biology 49: 319–338. , , , .
- 2006. Mosses as model systems for the study of metabolism and development. Annual Reviews of Plant Biology 57: 497–520. , , ,
- 2004. Plant hormones: biosynthesis, signal transduction, action! Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 2008. Activation of the indole-3-acetic acid–amido synthetase GH3-8 suppresses expansin expression and promotes salicylate- and jasmonate-independent basal immunity in rice. Plant Cell 20: 228–240. , , , , , ,
- 1987. Isolation and characterization of esters of indole-3-acetic acid from liquid endosperm of the horse chestnut (Aesculus species). Plant Physiology 84: 1107–1113. , , .
- 2005. Molecular tools to study Physcomitrella patens. Plant Biology 7: 220–227. , ,
- 1985. Rapid induction of selective transcription by auxins. Molecular Cell Biology 5: 1197–1203. , .
- 1984. Auxin regulated gene expression in intact soybean hypocotyl and excised hypocotyl sections. Planta 162: 147–153. , , .
- 1997. Removal of a cryptic intron and subcellular localization of green fluorescent protein are required to mark transgenic Arabidopsis plants brightly. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 2122–2127. , , ,
- 2000. FIN219, an auxin-regulated gene, defines a link between phytochrome A and the downstream regulator COP1 in light control of Arabidopsis development. Genes and Development 14: 1958–1970. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cryptochrome light signals control development to suppress auxin sensitivity in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Plant Cell 14: 373–386. , , ,
- 2001. Identification and biochemical characterization of an Arabidopsis indole-3-acetic acid glucosyltransferase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 4350–4356. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis GH3-LIKE DEFENSE GENE1 is required for accumulation of salicylic acid, activation of defense responses and resistance to Pseudomonas syringae. Plant Journal 51: 234–246. , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. The auxin-responsive GH3 gene family in rice (Oryza sativa). Functional and Integrative Genomics 6: 36–46. , , , .
- 1973. Auxin regulation of caulonema formation in moss protonema. Nature New Biology 245: 223–224. ,
- 2007. Arabidopsis thaliana GH3.9 influences primary root growth. Planta 226: 21–34. , .
- 2007a. The putative moss 3′-phosphoadenosine 5′-phosphosulfate reductase is a novel form of adenosine 5′-phosphosulfate reductase without an iron sulfur cluster. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 22930–22938. , , ,
- 2007b. Sulfate assimilation in basal land plants – what does genomic sequencing tell us? Plant Biology 9: 556–564. , ,
- 2001. Quantitative analysis of indole-3-acetic acid metabolites of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 1845–1853. ,
- 1997. Amino acid conjugates of jasmonic acid induce jasmonate-responsive gene expression in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). FEBS Letters 414: 197–202. , , , , ,
- 2002. Characterization of a family of IAA-amino acid conjugate hydrolases from Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 20446–20452. , , , ,
- 2005. A GH3-like gene, CcGH3, isolated from Capsicum chinense L. fruit is regulated by auxin and ethylene. Plant Molecular Biology 58: 447–464. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Indole-3-butyric acid in plant growth and development. Plant Growth Regulation 32: 219–230.
- 2001. DFL1, an auxin-responsive GH3 gene homologue, negatively regulated shoot cell elongation and lateral root formation, and positively regulated the light response of hypocotyl length. Plant Journal 25: 312–221. , , , , , ,
- 1999. Redundancy as a way of life – IAA metabolism. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 207–213. ,
- 1998. Metabolism of indole-3-acetic acid in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 118: 285–296. , , ,
- 1992. Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry of conjugates and oxidative metabolites of indole-3-acetic acid. Biological Mass Spectrometry 21: 292–298. , ,
- 2007b. GH3-mediated auxin homeostasis links growth regulation with stress adaptation response in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 10036–10046. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007a. An Arabidopsis GH3 gene, encoding an auxin-conjugating enzyme mediates phytochrome B-regulated light signals in hypocotyls growth. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 1236–1241. , , , , ,
- 2008. The Physcomitrella genome reveals insights into the conquest of land by plants. Science 319: 64–69. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2002. Moss transcriptome and beyond. Trends in Plant Sciences 7: 535–538. , , ,
- 1998. Development, genetics and molecular biology of mosses. Botanica Acta 111: 1–15.
- 1985. Induction of budding on chloronemata and caulonemata of the moss, Physcomitrella patens, using isopentenyladenine. Planta 165: 354–358. , .
- 1998. Expression of the bacterial ipt gene in Physcomitrella rescues mutations in budding and in plastid division. Planta 206: 196–203. , , , ,
- 1997. Isolation by differential display and characterization of a tobacco auxin-responsive cDNA Nt-gh3, related to GH3. FEBS Letters 419: 131–136. ,
- 2003. Involvement of auxin and a homeodomain-leucine zipper I gene in rhizoid development of the moss Physcomitrella patens. Development 130: 4835–4846. , , , , ,
- 2006. A family of auxin conjugate hydrolases from Brassica rapa: characterization and expression during clubroot disease. New Phytologist 171: 145–158. ,
- 1998. Hormone-induced signalling during moss development. Annual Reviews of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 501–523. , .
- 2002. High-throughput-PCR screen of 15 000 transgenic Physcomitrella plants. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 20: 43–47. , ,
- 2003. Unique tissue-specific cell cycle in Physcomitrella. Plant Biology 5: 50–58. , , ,
- 2006. Indole-3-acetic acid protein conjugates: novel players in auxin homeostasis. Plant Biology 8: 340–345. , , , ,
- 2005. Characterization of an Arabidopsis enzyme family that conjugates amino acids to indole-3-acetic acid. Plant Cell 17: 616–627. , , , , , ,
- 2004. The oxylipin signal jasmonic acid is activated by an enzyme that conjugates it to isoleucine in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2117–2127. ,
- 2002. Jasmonate response locus JAR1 and several related Arabidopsis genes encode enzymes of the firefly luciferase superfamily that show activity on jasmonic, salicylic, and indole-3-acetic acids in an assay for adenylation. Plant Cell 14: 1405–1415. , , .
- 1994. iaglu, a gene from Zea mays involved in conjugation of growth hormone indole-3-acetic acid. Science 265: 1699–1701. , , .
- 2000. Evolutionary patterns in the auxin metabolism of green plants. International Journal of Plant Science 161: 849–859. , , .
- 1999. Auxin metabolism in mosses and liverworts. American Journal of Botany 86: 1544–1555. , , , .
- 2004. ydk1-D, an auxin-responsive GH3 mutant that is involved in hypocotyls and root elongation. Plant Journal 37: 471–483. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. DFL2, a new member of the Arabidopsis GH3 gene family, is involved in red light-specific hypocotyl elongation. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 1071–1080. , , , ,
- 2002. Expression of the AtGH3a gene, an Arabidopsis homologue of the soybean GH3 gene, is regulated by phytochrome B. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 281–289. , ,
- 2006. The GH3 family in plants: genome wide analysis in rice and evolutionary history based on EST analysis. Gene 371: 279–290. , ,
- 2001. Why don't mosses flower? New Phytologist 150: 1–5. , ,
- 2007. JAZ repressor proteins are targets of the SCFCOI1 complex during jasmonate signalling. Nature 448: 661–665. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Evolutionary conservation of plant gibberellin signalling pathway components. BMC Plant Biology 7: 65. , , , ,
- 1972. Auxin-induced conjugation system in peas. Plant Physiology 49: 24–27. .
- 2002. A gene encoding a protein modified by the phytohormone indoleacetic acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 1718–1723. , , , , , .
- 1995. High-resolution selected ion monitoring in a quadrupole ion trap mass spectrometer. Analytical Chemistry 67: 3650–3655. ,
- 2007. The role of the novel adenosine 5-phosphosulfate reductase in regulation of sulfate assimilation of Physcomitrella patens. Plant Molecular Biology 65: 667–676. , , , , ,
- 1987. An auxin-induced polypeptide in dicot plants. Plant Molecular Biology 9: 625–635. , , .