Calcium homeostasis in plant cell nuclei
Article first published online: 19 NOV 2008
No claim to original French government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 2, pages 261–274, January 2009
How to Cite
Mazars, C., Bourque, S., Mithöfer, A., Pugin, A. and Ranjeva, R. (2009), Calcium homeostasis in plant cell nuclei. New Phytologist, 181: 261–274. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02680.x
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 19 NOV 2008
- Received: 16 July 2008; Accepted: 24 September 2008
- 2000. Alteration of stimulus-specific guard cell calcium oscillations and stomatal closing in Arabidopsis det3 mutant. Science 289: 2338–2342. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Calcium microdomains in mitochondria and nucleus. Cell Calcium 40: 513–525. , , , ,
- 2007. Diverse subcellular locations of cryptogein-induced reactive oxygen species production in tobacco Bright Yellow-2 cells. Plant Physiology 143: 1817–1826. , , , ,
- 1997. Intracellular compartmentation and plant signalling. Trends in Plant Science 2: 214–222. , , ,
- 1999. Stimulation of the blue light phototropic receptor NPH1 causes a transient increase in cytosolic Ca2+. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 13554–13559. , , ,
- 2003. Nuclear functions for plasma membrane-associated proteins? Traffic 4: 503–511. , , ,
- 2003. Calcium signalling: dynamics, homeostasis and remodelling. Nature Review Molecular Cell Biology 4: 517–529. , , .
- 2006. The nucleus: a cell within a cell. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 84: 279–507.
- 2000. Receptor-mediated increase in cytoplasmic free calcium required for activation of pathogen defense in parsley. Plant Cell 12: 1425–1440. , , ,
- 2005. The evolution of Ca2+ signalling in photosynthetic eukaryotes. New Phytologist 166: 21–38. , .
- 2002. A novel family of calmodulin-binding transcription activators in multicellular organisms. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 21851–21861. , , , ,
- 1999. Characterization of the cryptogein binding sites on plant plasma membranes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 34699–34705. , , , ,
- 2004. The plant nuclear envelope: new prospects for a poorly understood structure. New Phytologist 163: 227–246. , , .
- 2006. Autonomous regulation of free Ca2+ concentrations in isolated plant cell nuclei: a mathematical analysis. Cell Calcium 39: 293–303. , , ,
- 2000. ATP-dependent regulation of nuclear Ca2+ levels in plant cells. FEBS Letters 476: 145–149. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Calcium regulation in plant cells and its role in signaling. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 95–122.
- 2002. Calcium signaling: a tale for all seasons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 1115–1122.
- 2005. Nuclear inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptors regulate local Ca2+ transients and modulate cAMP response element binding protein phosphorylation. Journal of Cell Science 118: 3131–3140. , , , , ,
- 1973. Ca2+ transport activity in mitochondria from some plant tissues. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 157: 183–196. , .
- 2000. Plant nuclei can contain extensive grooves and invaginations. Plant Cell 12: 2425–2440. , , , , , .
- 1995. Isolation of nuclei suitable for in vitro transcriptional studies. Methods in Cell Biology 50: 113–128. .
- 1998. Calcium oscillations increase the efficiency and specificity of gene expression. Nature 392: 933–936. , , .
- 1998. A calcium pump at the higher plant nuclear envelope. FEBS Letters 429: 44–48. , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of calcium signals in the nucleus by a nucleoplasmic reticulum. Nature Cell Biology 5: 440–446. , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of a Ca2+/H+ antiport in the plant chloroplast thylakoid membrane. Plant Physiology 119: 1379–1386. , , , .
- 2008. Calmodulin-binding transcription activator (CAMTA) 3 mediates biotic defense responses in Arabidopsis. FEBS Letters 582: 943–948. , , , , ,
- 2003. In vivo nuclear Ca2+-ATPase phosphorylation triggers intermediate size molecular transport to the nucleus. Biochemistry and Biophysics Research Communications 303: 1225–1228. , , , .
- 2004. New aspects of nuclear calcium signalling. Journal of Cell Science 117: 3087–3094. ,
- 2006. Nodulation independent of rhizobia induced by a calcium-activated kinase lacking autoinhibition. Nature 441: 1149–1152. , , , , , .
- 2006. G-protein-coupled receptors signalling at the cell nucleus: an emerging paradigm. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 84: 287–297. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. c-Met must translocate to the nucleus to initiate calcium signals. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 4344–4351. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A Ca2+- and voltage-dependent cation channel in the nuclear envelope of red beet. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Biomembranes 1375: 117–130. ,
- 2008. Nuclear Ca2+ regulates cardiomyocyte function. Cell Calcium 44: 230–242. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1997. Distinct functions of nuclear and cytoplasmic calcium in the control of gene expression. Nature 385: 260–265. , , ,
- 2004. Decoding Ca2+ signals through plant protein kinases. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 263–288. , ,
- 2005. Calcium: a central regulator of plant growth and development. Plant Cell 17: 2142–2155. .
- 2004. The generation of Ca2+ signals in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 401–427. ,
- 1985. Cloning and sequence analysis of cDNA for the luminescent protein aequorin. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 82: 3154–3158. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Circadian oscillations of cytosolic and chloroplastic free calcium in plants. Science 269: 1863–1865. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Rapid transcriptome changes induced by cytosolic Ca2+ transients reveal ABRE-related sequences as Ca2+-responsive cis elements in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 2733–2748. , , , , , ,
- 1991. Transgenic plant aequorin reports the effects of touch and cold-shock and elicitors on cytoplasmic calcium. Nature 352: 524–526. , , , .
- 2008. Activated nuclear metabotropic glutamate receptor mGlu5 couples to nuclear Gq/11 proteins to generate inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate-mediated nuclear Ca2+ release. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 14072–14083. , , .
- 2008. Calmodulin 7 plays an important role as transcriptional regulator in Arabidopsis seedling development. Plant Cell 20: 1747–1759. , , .
- 2007. Classical nuclear localization signals: definition, function, and interaction with importin alpha. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 5101–5105. , , , , , .
- 2005. Proteinaceous and oligosaccharidic elicitors induce different calcium signatures in the nucleus of tobacco cells. Cell Calcium 38: 527–538. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Calcium in plant defence-signalling pathways. New Phytologist 171: 249–269. , ,
- 2007. GM1 in the nuclear envelope regulates nuclear calcium through association with a nuclear sodium-calcium exchanger. Journal of Neurochemistry 103 (Suppl. 1): 126–134. ,
- 2008. Nuclear sphingolipids: metabolism and signaling. Journal of Lipid Research 49: 1176–1186. ,
- 2003. Nuclear and cytosolic calcium are regulated independently. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 2975–2980. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A putative Ca2+ and calmodulin-dependent protein kinase required for bacterial and fungal symbioses. Science 303: 1361–1364. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Mitochondrial and cytosolic calcium dynamics are differentially regulated in plants. Plant Physiology 133: 21–24. , .
- 1999. Distinct calcium signaling pathways regulate calmodulin gene expression in tobacco. Plant Physiology 121: 705–714. , , , ,
- 2006. Mechanism regulating nuclear calcium signaling. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 84: 403–422. ,
- 2001. Ion transporters in the nucleus? Plant Physiology 127: 10–13. , , , , , .
- 1998. Encoding specificity in calcium signalling system. Trends in Plant Science 3: 32–36. , .
- 2007. A novel nuclear protein interacts with the symbiotic DMI3 calcium- and calmodulin-dependent protein kinase of Medicago truncatula. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 912–921. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1995. Regulation of nuclear calcium concentration. Ciba Foundation Symposium 188: 252–262; discussion 262–256. , ,
- 2004. Inositol tetrakisphosphate (IP4)- and inositol triphosphate (IP3)-dependent Ca2+ influx in cortical neuronal nuclei of newborn piglets following graded hypoxia. Neurochemistry Research 29: 391–396. ,
- 2005. Structural and biological diversity of cyclic octadecanoids, jasmonates, and mimetics. Journal of Plant Growth Substances 23: 179–199. , ,
- 2004. A Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase required for symbiotic nodule development: gene identification by transcript-based cloning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 4701–4705. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The nucleus is insulated from large cytosolic calcium ion changes. Nature 367: 745–750. , , .
- 1991. Monitoring of intracellular calcium in Saccharomyces cerevisiae with an apoaequorin cDNA expression system. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 6878–6882. , , ,
- 2001. Drought-induced guard cell signal transduction involves sphingosine-1-phosphate. Nature 410: 596–599. , , , , .
- 2003. Activation of metabotropic glutamate receptor mGlu5 on nuclear membranes mediates intranuclear Ca2+ changes in heterologous cell types and neurons. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 28210–28219. , , , ,
- 2001. The nucleus together with the cytosol generates patterns of specific cellular calcium signatures in tobacco suspension culture cells. Cell Calcium 30: 413–421. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Control of free calcium in plant cell nuclei. Nature 405: 754–755. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. The Medicago truncatula DMI1 protein modulates cytosolic calcium signaling. Plant Physiology 145: 192–203. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Plant calcium signaling and monitoring: pros and cons and recent experimental approaches. Protoplasma 218: 1–23.
- 2006. Models of IP3 and Ca2+ oscillations: frequency encoding and identification of underlying feedbacks. Biophysical Journal 90: 3120–3133. , , ,
- 2006. Calcium entry mediated by GLR3.3, an Arabidopsis glutamate receptor with a broad agonist profile. Plant Physiology 142: 963–971. , , .
- 2007. The symbiotic ion channel homolog DMI1 is localized in the nuclear membrane of Medicago truncatula roots. Plant Journal 49: 208–216. , , , .
- 1993. Intracellular targeting of the photoprotein aequorin: a new approach for measuring, in living cells, Ca2+ concentrations in defined cellular compartments. Cytotechnology 11 (Suppl. 1): S44–46. , ,
- 1980. Estimation of cytoplasmic and vacuolar pH in higher plant cells by 31P NMR. Nature 283: 870–872. , , ,
- 2007. Nucleoplasmic calcium is required for cell proliferation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 17061–17068. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The prenylation status of a novel plant calmodulin directs plasma membrane or nuclear localization of the protein. EMBO Journal 18: 1996–2007. , , , ,
- 1999. Communicating with calcium. Plant Cell 11: 691–706. , , .
- 2002. Calcium at the crossroads of signaling. Plant Cell 14 (Suppl.): S401–417. , , , .
- 2000. Plant chimeric Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase. Role of the neural visinin-like domain in regulating autophosphorylation and calmodulin affinity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 30417–30422. , , .
- 2004. Decoding Ca2+ signals in plants. CRC Critical Review in Plant Sciences 23: 1–11. , .
- 2005. Biosynthesis and metabolism of jasmonates. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 23: 179–199. , ,
- 1962. Extraction, purification and properties of aequorin, a bioluminescent protein from the luminous hydromedusan, Aequorea. Journal of Cell Comparative Physiology 59: 223–239. , ,
- 2008. JAZing up jasmonate signaling. Trends in Plant Science 13: 66–71. .
- 2004. The oxylipin signal jasmonic acid is activated by an enzyme that conjugates it to isoleucine in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2117–2127. ,
- 2007. Mastoparan activates calcium spiking analogous to Nod factor-induced responses in Medicago truncatula root hair cells. Plant Physiology 144: 695–702. , , , .
- 2006. Influx of extracellular Ca2+ involved in jasmonic-acid-induced elevation of [Ca2+]cyt and JR1 expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Research 119: 343–350. , , , , .
- 2008. The role of JAR1 in Jasmonoyl-L: -isoleucine production during Arabidopsis wound response. Planta 227: 1221–1232. , .
- 1998. Mastoparan induces an increase in cytosolic calcium ion concentration and subsequent activation of protein kinases in tobacco suspension culture cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1401: 339–346. , ,
- 2004. Signalling crosstalk in plants: emerging issues. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 147–149. , .
- 2007. JAZ repressor proteins are targets of the SCF(COI1) complex during jasmonate signalling. Nature 448: 661–665. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Signal perception and transduction: the origin of the phenotype. Plant Cell 9: 1181–1195. ,
- 1998. Ca2+ signalling in plant cells: the big network! Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 428–433. ,
- 2007. Roger Tsien: bringing color to cell biology. A passion for chemistry, color, and conversations with cells is what drives Roger Tsien. Interview by Ruth Williams. Journal of Cell Biology 179: 6–8.
- 2000. Genetic analysis of calcium spiking responses in nodulation mutants of Medicago truncatula. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 13407–13412. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Structural requirements of jasmonates and synthetic analogues as inducers of Ca2+ signals in the nucleus and the cytosol of plant cells. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 46: 4783–4785. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Noncompetitive metabotropic glutamate5 receptor antagonist (E)-2-methyl-6-styryl-pyridine (SIB1893) depresses glutamate release through inhibition of voltage-dependent Ca2+ entry in rat cerebrocortical nerve terminals (synaptosomes). Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 309: 951–958. , .
- 2007. Jasmonates: an update on biosynthesis, signal transduction and action in plant stress response, growth and development. Annals of Botany (Lond) 100: 681–697.
- 2004. Fluctuations in the pollen tube tip-focused calcium gradient are not reflected in nuclear calcium level: a comparative analysis using recombianant yellow cameleon reporter. Sexual Plant Reproduction 17: 125–130. , , .
- 2002. Signalling shortcuts: cell-surface receptors in the nucleus? Nature Review Molecular Cell Biology 3: 697–702. ,
- 2001. The calcium rhythms of different cell types oscillate with different circadian phases. Plant Physiology 125: 787–796. , , , , , .
- 2003. Sphingolipids, new players in plant signaling. Trends in Plant Science 8: 317–320. , , .
- 2006. Calcium signaling in plant cell organelles delimited by a double membrane. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Cell Research 1763: 1209–1215. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Sphingolipid metabolites selectively elicit increases in nuclear calcium concentration in cell suspension cultures and in isolated nuclei of tobacco. Cell Calcium 43: 29–37. , , , ,
- 2004. Isolated plant nuclei as mechanical and thermal sensors involved in calcium signalling. Plant Journal 40: 12–21. , , ,
- 2002. A calmodulin-binding/CGCG box DNA-binding protein family involved in multiple signaling pathways in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 45049–45058 , .