Temperature-sensitive alternative oxidase protein content and its relationship to floral reflectance in natural Plantago lanceolata populations
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 3, pages 662–671, February 2009
How to Cite
Umbach, A. L., Lacey, E. P. and Richter, S. J. (2009), Temperature-sensitive alternative oxidase protein content and its relationship to floral reflectance in natural Plantago lanceolata populations. New Phytologist, 181: 662–671. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02683.x
- Issue online: 15 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
- Received: 24 July 2008; Accepted: 26 September 2008
- 2002. A single nucleotide polymorphism in the alternative oxidase gene among rice varieties differing in low temperature tolerance. FEBS Letters 527: 181–185. , , ,
- 2008. Dynamic changes in the mitochondrial electron transport chain underpinning cold acclimatization of leaf respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1156–1169. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Heterogeneity of plant mitochondrial responses underpinning respiratory acclimatization to the cold in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 940–949. , , , , .
- 2006. AOX – a functional marker for efficient cell reprogramming under stress? Trends in Plant Science 11: 281–287. , ,
- 2005. The hot and the cold: unravelling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 1990. A comparison of the respiratory processes and growth rates of selected Australian alpine and related lowland plant species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 17: 517–526. , .
- 2006. High thermal acclimation potential of both photosynthesis and respiration in two lowland Plantago species in contrast to an alpine congeneric. Global Change Biology 12: 500–515. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 2008. Selection, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press.
- 1971. Metabolic acclimation to temperature in arctic and alpine ecotypes of Oxyria digyna. Arctic and Alpine Research 3: 277–289. , , , .
- 1997. Heat generation and dissipation in plants: can the alternative oxidative phosphorylation pathway serve a thermoregulatory role in plant tissues other than specialized organs? Plant Physiology. 14: 1137–1140. , , , .
- 2007. Acclimatization of photosynthesis and respiration is asynchronous in response to changes in temperature regardless of plant functional group. New Phytologist 176: 375–389. , , , , ,
- 2006. Alternative oxidases in Arabidopsis: a comparative analysis of differential expression in the gene family provides new insight into function of nonphosphorylating bypasses. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1757: 730–741. , ,
- 1996. No difference in leaf respiration rates among temperate, subarctic, and arctic species grown under controlled conditions. Canadian Journal of Botany 74: 317–320. .
- 1994. Tissue-specific protein expression in plant mitochondria. Plant Cell 6: 85–91. , .
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. The American Naturalist 147: 445–465. ,
- 1989. Monoclonal antibodies to the alternative oxidase of higher plant mitochondria. Plant Physiology 89: 1311–1317. , ,
- 1999. An alternative oxidase monoclonal antibody recognizes a highly conserved sequence among alternative oxidase subunits. FEBS Letters 44: 21–24. , , .
- 2005. The alternative oxidase of plant mitochondria is involved in the acclimation of shoot growth at low temperature. A study of Arabidopsis AOX1a transgenic plants. Plant Physiology 139: 1795–1805. , , .
- 2007. Evolutionary analysis, 4th edn. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. , .
- 2004. A robot-based platform to measure multiple enzyme activities in Arabidopsis using a set of cycling assays: comparison of changes of enzyme activities and transcript levels during diurnal cycles and in prolonged darkness. Plant Cell 16: 3304–3325. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity in the holoparasitic mistletoe Tristerix aphyllus (Loranthaceae): consequences of trait variation for successful establishment. Evolutionary Ecology 21: 431–444. , , ,
- 1999. The effect of growth and measurement temperature on the activity of the alternative respiratory pathway. Plant Physiology 120: 765–772. , , , .
- 2004. Transgenic tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) plants with increased expression levels of mitochondrial NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase: evidence implicating this enzyme in the redox activation of the alternative oxidase. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 1413–1452. , , ,
- 2003. Structural requirements for the perception of ambient temperature signals in homeothermic heat production of skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 783–788. , , , ,
- 2003. Alternative oxidase in higher plants. Acta Biochimica Polonica 50: 1257–1271. , .
- 1999. Partial male sterility in transgenic tobacco carrying an antisense gene for alternative oxidase under the control of a tapetum-specific promoter. Molecular Breeding 5: 209–218. , , ,
- 2007. Plants at high altitude exhibit higher component of alternative respiration. Journal of Plant Physiology 164: 31–38. , ,
- 2004. Maintenance of growth rate at low temperature in rice and wheat cultivars with a high degree of respiratory homeostasis is associated with a high efficiency of respiratory ATP production. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 1015–1022. , , , ,
- 2005. Phenotypic plasticity, parental effects, and parental care in plants? I. An examination of spike reflectance in Plantago lanceolata (Plantaginaceae). American Journal of Botany 92: 920–930. ,
- 2003. Multigenerational effects of flowering and fruiting phenology in Plantago lanceolata. Ecology 84: 2462–2475. , , , ,
- 1982. Cyanide-resistant respiration: a nonphosphorylating electron transport pathway acting as an energy overflow. Physiologia Plantarum 55: 478–485.
- 1981. Energy metabolism of Plantago lanceolata as dependent on the supply of mineral nutrients. Physiologia Plantarum 51: 85–92. , , , , ,
- 1995. Acclimation of leaf dark respiration to temperature in alpine and lowland plant-species. Annals of Botany 76: 245–252. ,
- 1995. Developmental regulation of respiratory activity in pea leaves. Plant Physiology 107: 925–932. , , , .
- 1977. Cyanide-insensitive respiration in wheat: cultivar differences and effects of temperature, carbon dioxide, and oxygen. Canadian Journal of Botany 55: 549–555. , .
- 2002. Methods and approaches to study plant mitochondrial alternative oxidase. Physiologia Plantarum 116: 135–143. , , .
- 1987. The relationship between respiration and temperature in leaves of the arctic plant Saxifraga cernua. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 319–325. , .
- 1988. Sexual reproduction in the arum lily family, with emphasis on thermogenicity. Sexual Plant Reproduction 1: 3–15. ,
- 2001. Regulation of alternative oxidase activity in six wild monocotyledonous species. An in vivo study at the whole root level. Plant Physiology 126: 376–387. , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Plant mitochondrial and oxidative stress: electron transport, NADPH turnover, and metabolism of reactive oxygen species. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 561–591. .
- 2002. Function of the alternative oxidase: is it still a scavenger? Trends in Plant Science 7: 478–481. , , ,
- 2000. Endothermy by flowers of Rhizanthes lowii (Rafflesiaceae). Oecologia 124: 149–155. , ,
- 2007. Cytochrome and alternative pathway activity in roots of thermal and nonthermal Agrostis species in response to high soil temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 163–174. , , , ,
- 2003. Beneficial interactions of mitochondrial metabolism with photosynthetic carbon assimilation. Trends in Plant Science 8: 546–553. ,
- 2000. The electron partitioning between the cytochrome and alternative respiratory pathways during chilling recovery in two cultivars of maize differing in chilling sensitivity. Plant Physiology 122: 199–204. , , , ,
- 2002. The combined effect of drought stress and heat shock on gene expression in tobacco. Plant Physiology 130: 1143–1151. , ,
- 1999. Switching off the heater: influence of ambient temperature on thermoregulation by eastern skunk cabbage Symplocarpus foetidus. Journal of Experimental Botany 50:1525–1532. , .
- 1998. Heat production by sacred lotus flowers depends on ambient temperature, not light cycle. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1213–1217. , ,
- 1982. Energy metabolism of Plantago lanceolata, as affected by change in root temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 56: 33–37. , .
- 1990. Seedling growth, mitochondrial characteristics, and alternative respiratory capacity of corn genotypes differing in cold tolerance. Plant Physiology 92: 761–766. , , ,
- 2007. Temperature-sensitive anthocyanin production in flowers of Plantago lanceolata. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 756–765. , , , .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity for fitness components in Polygonum species of contrasting ecological breadth. Ecology 82: 328–343. .
- 2001. Light-dependent gene expression for proteins in the respiratory chain of potato leaves. Plant Journal 28: 73–82. , .
- 2005. Characterization of transformed Arabidopsis with altered alternative oxidase levels and analysis of effects on reactive oxygen species in tissue. Plant Physiology 139: 1806–1820. , , .
- 2006. Quantitative estimation of phenotypic plasticity: bridging the gap between the evolutionary concept and its ecological applications. Journal of Ecology 94: 1103–1116. , , .
- 2007. Natural variation in RPS2-mediated resistance among Arabidopsis accessions: correlation between expression profiles and phenotype responses. Plant Cell 19: 4016–4060. , , , ,
- 1984. Inhibition and stimulation of root respiration in Pisum and Plantago by hydroxamate; its consequences for the assessment of alternative path activity. Plant Physiology 75: 813–817. ,
- 2006. Contribution of the alternative pathway to respiration during thermogenesis in flowers of the sacred lotus. Plant Physiology 140: 1367–1373. , , .
- 1991. Cytochrome and alternative pathway respiration in white spruce (Picea glauca) roots. Effects of growth and measurement temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 675–681. , .
- 2003. Developmental plasticity and evolution. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 2004. Phenotypic variation from single genotypes; a primer. In: De WittTJ, ScheinerSM, eds. Phenotypic plasticity; functional and conceptual approaches. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press, 1–9. , .
- 1987. Genetic analysis of ecologically relevant morphological variability in Plantago lanceolata L. I. Population characteristics. Heredity 58: 183–192. ,
- 2007. Up-regulation of mitochondrial alternative oxidase concomitant with chloroplast over-reduction by excess light. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 606–614. , ,
- 1979. Alteration of the respiratory function in chill-sensitive callus due to low temperature stress. 1. Involvement of the alternative pathway. Plant and Cell Physiology 20: 1243–1250. ,