Drought-induced hydraulic limitations constrain leaf gas exchange recovery after precipitation pulses in the C3 woody legume, Prosopis velutina
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 3, pages 672–682, February 2009
How to Cite
Resco, V., Ewers, B. E., Sun, W., Huxman, T. E., Weltzin, J. F. and Williams, D. G. (2009), Drought-induced hydraulic limitations constrain leaf gas exchange recovery after precipitation pulses in the C3 woody legume, Prosopis velutina. New Phytologist, 181: 672–682. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02687.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2008
- Received: 16 July 2008; Accepted: 16 October 2008
- 1998. Scale dependence of absorption of photosynthetically active radiation in terrestrial ecosystems. Ecological Applications 8: 1003–1021. , ,
- 2002. Temperature response of mesophyll conductance. Implications for the determination of rubisco enzyme kinetics and for limitations to photosynthesis in vivo. Plant Physiology 130: 1992–1998. , , , , .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2007. Leaf maximum photosynthetic rate and venation are linked by hydraulics. Plant Physiology 144: 1890–1898. , , .
- 2003. Relations between stomatal closure, leaf turgor and xylem vulnerability in eight tropical dry forest species. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 443–450. , , , .
- 2005. The control of stomata by water balance. New Phytologist 168: 275–292. .
- 2005. Embolism repair and long distance water transport. In: HolbrookNM, ZwienieckiMA, eds. Vascular transport in plants. Burlington, MA, USA: Elsevier Academic Press, 375–400. ,
- 1992. Use of positive pressures to establish vulnerability curves: further support for the air-seeding hypothesis and implications for pressure-volume analysis. Plant Physiology 100: 205–209. , , .
- 2007. The R book. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- 2002. Hydraulic architecture of trees: main concepts and results. Annals of Forest Science 59: 723–752. , ,
- 1991. Root signals and the regulation of growth and development of plants in drying soil. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 55–76. , .
- 2007. Climate change effects on Mediterranean forests and preventive measures. New Forests 33: 29–40. , ,
- 2005. Design and performance of large-scale precipitation shelters in semi-desert grassland, Santa Rita Experimental Range, Arizona. Journal of Arid Environments 63: 324–343. , , , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 2006. Keeping a positive carbon balance under adverse conditions: responses of photosynthesis and respiration to water stress. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 343–352. , , , ,
- 2008. Mesophyll conductance to CO2: current knowledge and future prospects. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 602–621. , , , ,
- 2005. Precipitation pulse use by an invasive woody legume: the role of soil texture and pulse size. Oecologia 144: 618–627. , , , , , .
- 1996. Hydraulic control of stomatal conductance in Douglus fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco) and alder (Alnus rubra (Bong)) seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 1091–1098. , .
- 2007. Photosynthetic limitations in response to water stress and recovery in Mediterranean plants with different growth forms. New Phytologist 175: 81–93. , ,
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron-transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2004. Pulse events in Great Basin Desert shrublands: physiological responses of Artemisia tridentata and Purshia tridentata seedlings to increased summer precipitation. Journal of Arid Environments 59: 41–57. , .
- 1992. Theoretical considerations when estimating the mesophyll conductance to CO2 flux by analysis of the response of photosynthesis to CO2. Plant Physiology 98: 1429–1436. , , , .
- 2004. Introduction to environmental soil physics. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press.
- 2006. Influence of soil texture on hydraulic properties and water relations of a dominant warm-desert phreatophyte. Tree Physiology 26: 313–323. , , , , , .
- 2004a. Convergence across biomes to a common rain-use efficiency. Nature 429: 651–654. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004b. Precipitation pulses and carbon fluxes in semiarid and arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 254–268. , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Leaf gas exchange and water status response of a native and nonnative grass to precipitation across contrasting soil surfaces in the Sonoran desert. Oecologia 152: 401–413. , , , .
- 2008. Aquaporins and plant water balance. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 658–666. , , , , ,
- 2008. Shrub encroachment in North American grasslands: shifts in growth form dominance rapidly alters control of ecosystem carbon inputs. Global Change Biology 14: 615–623. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. Differences in drought adaptation between subspecies of sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata). Ecology 80: 2373– 2384. , .
- 2007. Sensitivity of water relations and photosynthesis to summer precipitation pulses for Artemisia tridentata and Purshia tridentata. Plant Ecology 191: 95–108.
- 2001. Photosynthetic responses of tree seedlings in grass and under shrubs in early-successional tropical old fields, Costa Rica. Oecologia 127: 40–50. , .
- 2003. Gas exchange measurements, what can they tell us about the underlying limitations to photosynthesis? Procedures and sources of error. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2393–2401. , .
- 2008. An abscisic acid-related reduced transpiration promotes gradual embolism repair when grapevines are rehydrated after drought. New Phytologist 180: 642–651. , , ,
- 2006. Functional coordination between leaf gas exchange and vulnerability to xylem cavitation in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 571–583. , , , , .
- 2000. Chlorophyll fluorescence – a practical guide. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 659–668. , .
- 2003. Santa Rita Experimental Range: 100 years (1903 to 2003) of accomplishments and contributions. Conference Proceedings, October 30–November 1 2003. Tucson, AZ, USA: US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. , , .
- 2004. Plant responses to precipitation in desert ecosystems: integrating functional types, pulses, thresholds, and delays. Oecologia 141: 282–294. , .
- 1993. Photosynthetic light-response curves I. The influence of CO2 partial pressure and leaf inversion. Planta 189: 182–190. ,
- 2007. Effects of an increase in summer precipitation on leaf, soil, and ecosystem fluxes of CO2 and H2O in a sotol grassland in Big Bend National Park, Texas. Oecologia 151: 704–718. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. Patterns of savanna formation in former semiarid grasslands – The interactive role of climate change, soil texture and neighbor identity. PhD Dissertation, Laramie, WY, USA: University of Wyoming.
- 2008. Chlorophyll fluorescence, predawn water potential and photosynthesis in precipitation pulse-driven ecosystems – implications for ecological studies. Functional Ecology 22, 479–483. , , , , , .
- 2004. Modifying the ‘pulse-reserve’ paradigm for deserts of North America: precipitation pulses, soil water, and plant responses. Oecologia 141: 194–210. , , , .
- 2006. Leaf hydraulics. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 361–381. , .
- 1982. Small rainfall events: an ecological role in semiarid regions. Oecologia 53: 301–304. , .
- 1997. Tree-grass interactions in savannas. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28: 517–544. , .
- 2007. Rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations and plant invasion in the northern mixed-grass prairie: an ecophysiological perspective. MSc thesis. Laramie, WY, USA: University of Wyoming.
- 2008. A canopy-scale test of the optimal water-use hypothesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 97–111. , , , ,
- 2007. Fitting photosynthetic carbon dioxide response curves for C3 leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1035–1040. , , , .
- 2000. Hydraulic constraints on plant gas exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 104: 13–23. .
- 1998. Limitation of plant water use by rhizosphere and xylem conductance: results from a model. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 347–359. , , , .
- 2003. A coupled model of stomatal conductance, photosynthesis and transpiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1097–1116. , ,
- 1991. The hydraulic architecture of trees and other woody plants. New Phytologist 119: 345–360. , .
- 2006. Estimating the internal conductance to CO2 movement. Functional Plant Biology 33: 431–442. .
- 2007. Cavitation and refilling. In: TaizL, ZeigerE, eds. Plant physiology [WWW document]. URL http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=4&id=395 [accessed on 15 May 2008]. , .
- 2000. Intra- and interspecific variation for summer precipitation use in pinyon-juniper woodlands. Ecological Monographs 70: 517–537. , .
- 2006. Sensitivity of riparian ecosystems in arid and semiarid environments to moisture pulses. Hydrological Processes 20: 3191–3205. , , , ,
- 2000. Responses of photosynthesis and water relations to rainfall in the desert shrub creosote bush (Larrea tridentata) as influenced by municipal biosolids. Journal of Arid Environments 46: 397–412. , , , , , .
- 2007. Intraseasonal variation in water and carbon dioxide flux components in a semiarid riparian woodland. Ecosystems 10: 1100–1115. , , , .