Inhibitors of plant invertases do not affect the structurally related enzymes of fructan metabolism
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 3, pages 601–612, February 2009
How to Cite
Kusch, U., Harms, K., Rausch, T. and Greiner, S. (2009), Inhibitors of plant invertases do not affect the structurally related enzymes of fructan metabolism. New Phytologist, 181: 601–612. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02688.x
- Issue online: 15 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2008
- Received: 24 July 2008; Accepted: 16 October 2008
- 1987. Endogenous invertase inhibitor in sugar beet root ontogenesis. Soviet Plant Physiology 34: 235–242. , , .
- 2000. Kiwi protein inhibitor of pectin methylesterase amino-acid sequence and structural importance of two disulfide bridges. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 4561–4565. , , , , ,
- 1990. Purification and properties of an inulinase from chicory roots (Cichorium intybus L.). Journal of Plant Physiology 136: 35–39. , ,
- 1997. Effect of soluble or partly soluble dietary fibres supplementation on absorption and balance of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc in healthy young men. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 51: 375–380. , , , , ,
- 2003. A gateway cloning vector set for high-throughput functional analysis of genes in planta. Plant Physiology 133: 462–469. ,
- 2005. Arabidopsis AtcwINV3 and 6 are not invertases but are fructan exohydrolases (FEHs) with different substrate specificities. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 432–443. , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Purification and properties of a second fructan exohydrolase from the roots of Cichorium intybus. Physiologia Plantarum 106: 28–34. , , , ,
- 1968. The mechanism of fructosan metabolism in higher plants as exemplified in Helianthus tuberosus. New Phytologist 67: 517–531. , .
- 2006. Regulation of taproot development and sucrose stabilization in sugar beet: influence of invertase inhibitors and occurrence of mitochondrial energy-dissipating proteins. PhD thesis, Germany, Heidelberg: University of Heidelberg.
- 2000. Plant invertase inhibitors: expression in cell culture and during plant development. Functional Plant Biology 27: 807–814. , , , , ,
- 1998. Cloning of a tobacco apoplasmic invertase inhibitor. Proof of function of the recombinant protein and expression analysis during plant development. Plant Physiology 116: 733–742. , ,
- 1999. Ectopic expression of a tobacco invertase inhibitor homolog prevents cold-induced sweetening of potato tubers. Nature Biotechnology 17: 708–711. , , ,
- 1993. Evolutionary origins and natural functions of fructans – a climatological, biogeographic and mechanistic appraisal. New Phytologist 123: 3–14. .
- 1991. A classification of glycosyl hydrolases based on amino acid sequence similarities. The Biochemical Journal 280: 309–316.
- 2004. Structural insights into the target specificity of plant invertase and pectin methylesterase inhibitory proteins. Plant Cell 16: 3437–3447. , , , ,
- 1971. An invertase inactivator in maize endosperm and factors affecting inactivation. Plant Physiology 47: 629–634. , .
- 1996. Purification and characterization of the enzymes of fructan biosynthesis in tubers of Helianthus tuberosus Colombia. Plant Physiology 110: 1167–1175. , .
- 1998. In transformed tobacco cells the apoplasmic invertase inhibitor operates as a regulatory switch of cell wall invertase. Plant Journal 13: 275–280. , , , ,
- 2008. Crystal structures of Arabidopsis thaliana cell-wall invertase mutants in complex with sucrose. Journal of Molecular Biology 377: 378–385. , , , ,
- 2007. Unraveling the difference between invertases and fructan exohydrolases: a single amino acid (Asp239) substitution transforms Arabidopsis cell wall invertase 1 into a fructan 1-exohydrolase. Plant Physiology 145: 616–625. , , , , , ,
- 2004. In Arabidopsis thaliana, the invertase inhibitors AtC/VIF1 and 2 exhibit distinct target enzyme specificities and expression profiles. FEBS Letters 573: 105–109. , ,
- 1987. Improved method for the isolation of RNA from plant tissues. Analytical Biochemistry 163: 16–20. , ,
- 1996. Inulin synthesis by a combination of purified fructosyltransferases from tubers of Helianthus tuberosus. FEBS Letters 385: 39–42. , , , , ,
- 2006. Calcium is essential for fructan synthesis induction mediated by sucrose in wheat. Planta 225: 183–191. , , , ,
- 2001. Protein kinase and phosphatase activities are involved in fructan synthesis initiation mediated by sugars. Planta 213: 640–646. , , .
- 2004. Nitrate is a negative signal for fructan synthesis, and the fructosyltransferase-inducing trehalose inhibits nitrogen and carbon assimilation in excised barley leaves. New Phytologist 161: 749–759. , , , ,
- 2000. Disaccharide-mediated regulation of sucrose:fructan-6-fructosyltransferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley leaves. Plant Physiology 123: 265–274. , , , ,
- 1999. Inulin and oligofructose: what are they? The Journal of Nutrition 129 (Suppl. 7): 1402S–1406S. .
- 1999. Enhanced drought resistance in fructan-producing sugar beet. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 37: 313–317. , , ,
- 1988. Fructans. In: PreissJ, ed. The biochemistry of plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 109–140. .
- 1988. Effect of photoperiod and irradiance changes upon development of freezing tolerance and accumulation of soluble carbohydrate in seedlings of Lolium perenne grown at 2°C. Annals of Botany 62: 95–100. , , .
- 2004. Plant protein inhibitors of invertases. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1696: 253–261. ,
- 2006. Developing fructan-synthesizing capability in a plant invertase via mutations in the sucrose-binding box. Plant Journal 48: 228–237. , , , , , ,
- 1991. Molecular biology of fructan accumulation in plants. Biochemical Society Transactions 19: 565–569. , , ,
- 2006. Rapid, transient expression of fluorescent fusion proteins in tobacco plants and generation of stably transformed plants. Nature Protocols 1: 2019–2025. , , ,
- 1995. Protective effect of dietary fructo-oligosaccharide in young rats against exocrine pancreas atrophy induced by high fructose and partial copper deficiency. Food and Chemical Toxicology 33: 631–639. , , ,
- 1997. Growth inhibition of transplantable mouse tumors by nondigestible carbohydrates. International Journal of Cancer 71: 1109–1112. , , .
- 1998. The plant invertases: physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Andvances in Botanical Research 28: 71–117. ,
- 1999. Effect of nitrogen concentration on fructan and fructan metabolizing enzymes in young chicory plants (Cichorium intybus). Physiologia Plantarum 105: 2–8. , ,
- 2000. Cloning and functional analysis of chicory root fructan1-exohydrolase I (1-FEH I): a vacuolar enzyme derived from a cell-wall invertase ancestor? Mass fingerprint of the 1-FEH I enzyme. Plant Journal 24: 447–456. , , , ,
- 2001. Defoliation induces fructan 1-exohydrolase II in witloof chicory roots. Cloning and purification of two isoforms, f ructan 1-exohydrolase IIa and fructan 1-exohydrolase IIb. Mass fingerprint of the fructan 1-exohydrolase II enzymes. Plant Physiology 126: 1186–1195. , , , , ,
- 1996. De-novo synthesis of fructans from sucrose in vitro by a combination of two purified enzymes (sucrose:sucrose 1-fructosyl transferase and fructan:fructan 1-fructosyl transferase) from chicory roots (Cichorium intybus L.). Planta 200: 335–342. ,
- 1996a. Purification and characterization of 1-SST, the key enzyme initiating fructan biosynthesis in young chicory roots (Cichorium intybus). Physiologia Plantarum 98: 455–466. , , , , ,
- 1996b. Purification and characterization of fructan:fructan 1-fructosyl transferase from chicory (Cichorium intybus L.) roots. Planta 199: 493–502. , , , ,
- 2002. Inulin metabolism in dicots: chicory as a model system. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 803–813. ,
- 2005a. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction study of a cell-wall invertase from Arabidopsis thaliana. Acta Crystallographica 61 (Pt 8): 766–768. , , , , , , , ,
- 2005b. X-ray diffraction structure of a plant glycosyl hydrolase family 32 protein: fructan 1-exohydrolase IIa of Cichorium intybus. Plant Journal 41: 400–411. , , , , ,
- 2003. Identification of pollen-expressed pectin methylesterase inhibitors in Arabidopsis. FEBS Letters 555: 551–555. , , ,