These authors contributed equally to this work.
Improving plant stress tolerance and yield production: is the tonoplast aquaporin SlTIP2;2 a key to isohydric to anisohydric conversion?
Article first published online: 27 NOV 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 3, pages 651–661, February 2009
How to Cite
Sade, N., Vinocur, B. J., Diber, A., Shatil, A., Ronen, G., Nissan, H., Wallach, R., Karchi, H. and Moshelion, M. (2009), Improving plant stress tolerance and yield production: is the tonoplast aquaporin SlTIP2;2 a key to isohydric to anisohydric conversion?. New Phytologist, 181: 651–661. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02689.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 NOV 2008
- Received: 2 September 2008; Accepted: 14 October 2008
- 2003. Overexpression of a plasma membrane aquaporin in transgenic tobacco improves plant vigor under favorable growth conditions but not under drought or salt stress. Plant Cell 15: 439–447. , , , , ,
- 2005. Whole gene family expression and drought stress regulation of aquaporins. Plant Molecular Biology 59: 469–484. , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Early effects of salinity on water transport in arabidopsis roots. Molecular and cellular features of aquaporin expression. Plant Physiology 139: 790–805. , , , , ,
- 2001. Aquaporins constitute a large and highly divergent protein family in maize. Plant Physiology 125: 1206–1215. , , , ,
- 1994. Aquaporins: The molecular basis of facilitated water movement through living plant cells? Plant Physiology 105: 9–13. ,
- 1998. Floral dip: A simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2008. Unexpected complexity of the aquaporin gene family in the moss Physcomitrella patens. BMC Plant Biology 8: 45. ,
- 2004. Diffusive and metabolic limitations to photosynthesis under drought and salinity in C-3 plants. Plant Biology 6: 269–279. , , , , .
- 2004. Improving crop salt tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 307–319. .
- 1999. Aquaporins: Phylogeny, structure, and physiology of water channels. News in Physiological Sciences 14: 187–193. ,
- 1987. Atmospheric carbon-dioxide enrichment effects on cotton midday foliage temperature – implications for plant water-use and crop yield. Agronomy Journal 79: 667–672. , , .
- 2001. The complete set of genes encoding major intrinsic proteins in Arabidopsis provides a framework for a new nomenclature for major intrinsic proteins in plants. Plant Physiology 126: 1358–1369. , , , , , , ,
- 1994. The aquaporin family of molecular water channels. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 6255–6258. .
- 2004. The role of aquaporin RWC3 in drought avoidance in rice. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 481–489. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Isolation and functional characterization of PgTIP1 a hormone-autotrophic cells-specific tonoplast aquaporin in ginseng. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 947–956. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Efficiency of transient transformation in tobacco protoplasts is independent of plasmid amount. Plant Cell Reports 21: 865–871. , , , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: Why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. Osmotic water permeability of isolated vacuoles. Planta 210: 80–84. , .
- 2002. Diurnal and circadian regulation of putative potassium channels in a leaf moving organ. Plant Physiology 128: 634–642. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Dynamic changes in the osmotic water permeability of protoplast plasma membrane. Plant Physiology 135: 2301–2317. , ,
- 2007. The drought environment: Physical, biological and agricultural perspectives. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 113–117.
- 2007. Overexpression of a panax ginseng tonoplast aquaporin alters salt tolerance, drought tolerance and cold acclimation ability in transgenic Arabidopsis plants. Planta 226: 729–740. , , ,
- 2002. From genome to function: The Arabidopsis aquaporins. Genome Biology 3: 1–17. , , , .
- 2005. Identification of 33 rice aquaporin genes and analysis of their expression and function. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 1568–1577. , , , ,
- 2007. Deciphering the regulatory mechanisms of abiotic stress tolerance in plants by genomic approaches. Gene 388: 1–13. , , .
- 2000. Water uptake by roots: Effects of water deficit. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1531–1542.
- 1998. Variability among species of stomatal control under fluctuating soil water status and evaporative demand: Modelling isohydric and anisohydric behaviours. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 419–432. ,
- 2003. Advances in plant biotechnology and its adoption in developing countries. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 191–198. , ,
- 2002. Plant aquaporins: Multifunctional water and solute channels with expanding roles. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 173–194. , ,
- 1997. Pathways for the permeation of Na+ and Cl− into protoplasts derived from the cortex of wheat roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 48 (Spec. Issue): 459–480. , , , ,
- 2003. The tobacco aquaporin NtAQP1 is a membrane CO2 pore with physiological functions. Nature 425: 734–737. , , ,
- 2004. Novel regulation of aquaporins during osmotic stress. Plant Physiology 135: 2318–2329. , , ,
- 2007. Water permeability differs between growing and nongrowing barley leaf tissues. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 377–390. , , , , ,
- 2005. Developing salt-tolerant crop plants: Challenges and opportunities. Trends in Plant Science 10: 615. ,
- 2003. Widespread occurrence of antisense transcription in the human genome. Nature Biotechnology 21: 379–386. , , , , , , , , , et al .