The dilemma of controlling heavy metal accumulation in plants
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2008
© The Author (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 1, pages 3–5, January 2009
How to Cite
Kraemer, U. (2009), The dilemma of controlling heavy metal accumulation in plants. New Phytologist, 181: 3–5. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02699.x
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2008
- 2006. The Arabidopsis metal tolerance protein AtMTP3 maintains metal homeostasis by mediating Zn exclusion from the shoot under Fe deficiency and Zn oversupply. Plant Journal 46: 861–879. , ,
- 2007. Zinc in plants. New Phytologist 173: 677–702. , , , ,
- 2006. Toxic metal accumulation, responses to exposure and mechanisms of tolerance in plants. Biochimie 88: 1707–1719.
- 2002. A long way ahead: understanding and engineering plant metal accumulation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 309–315. , ,
- 2007. Novel Zn2+ coordination by the regulatory N-terminus metal binding domain of Arabidopsis thaliana Zn(2+)-ATPase HMA2. Biochemistry 46: 7754–7764. , , , .
- 2006. A novel regulatory metal binding domain is present in the C terminus of Arabidopsis Zn2+-ATPase HMA2. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 33881–33891. , , , .
- 2008. Selection and breeding of plant cultivars to minimize cadmium accumulation. The Science of the Total Environment 390: 301–310. , , , .
- 2002. Identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis pho1 gene involved in phosphate loading to the xylem. Plant Cell 14: 889–902. , , , ,
- 2008. Evolution of metal hyperaccumulation required cis-regulatory changes and triplication of HMA4. Nature 453: 391–395. , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Expression of arabidopsis CAX2 in tobacco. Altered metal accumulation and increased manganese tolerance. Plant Physiology 124: 125–133. , , , .
- 2004. P-type atpase heavy metal transporters with roles in essential zinc homeostasis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 1327–1339. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Functions and homeostasis of zinc, copper and nickel in plants. In: TamasMJ, MartinoiaE, eds. Molecular biology of metal homeostasis and detoxification. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 215–271. ,
- 2006. Zinc requirements and the risks and benefits of zinc supplementation. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology 20: 3–18. , .
- 2008. Zinc biofortification of cereals: problems and solutions. Trends in Plant Science 13: 464–473. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Arabidopsis boron transporter for xylem loading. Nature 420: 337–340. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. AtNRAMP3, a multispecific vacuolar metal transporter involved in plant responses to iron deficiency. Plant Journal 34: 685–695. , , , ,
- 2000. Cadmium and iron transport by members of a plant metal transporter family in Arabidopsis with homology to Nramp genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 4991–4996. , , , , .
- 2005. P(1B)-ATPases – an ancient family of transition metal pumps with diverse functions in plants. Trends in Plant Science 10: 491–502. , .
- 2008. HMA P-type ATPases are the major mechanism for root-to-shoot Cd translocation in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 181: 71–78. , .
- 2009. Functional analysis of the heavy metal binding domains of the Zn/Cd-transporting ATPase, HMA2, in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 181: 79–88. , , , .