Gregarious bamboo flowering opens a window of opportunity for regeneration in a temperate forest of Patagonia
Article first published online: 9 DEC 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 4, pages 880–889, March 2009
How to Cite
Giordano, C. V., Sánchez, R. A. and Austin, A. T. (2009), Gregarious bamboo flowering opens a window of opportunity for regeneration in a temperate forest of Patagonia. New Phytologist, 181: 880–889. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02708.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 9 DEC 2008
- Received: 17 September 2008, Accepted: 30 October 2008
- 2001. An interactive effect of simultaneous death of dwarf bamboo, canopy gap, and predatory rodents on beech regeneration. Oecologia 127: 281–286. , ,
- 1994. Light gaps: sensing the light opportunities in highly dynamic canopy environments. In: Caldwell MM, Pearcy RW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 73–110. .
- 1999. Keeping up with the neighbours: phytochrome sensing and other signalling mechanisms. Trends in Plant Science 4: 97–102. .
- 1991. On the opportunity cost of the photosynthate invested in stem elongation reactions mediated by phytochrome. Oecologia 86: 561–567. , ,
- 1990. Far-red radiation reflected from adjacent leaves: an early signal of competition in plant canopies. Science 247: 329–332. , , .
- 1998. Seeds: ecology biogeography and evolution of dormancy and germination. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1999. Ecophysiological effects of light quality and nitrate on seed germination in species from Western Australia. Australian Journal of Ecology 24: 2–10. , , .
- 1998. Effects of tree cover, understory vegetation, and litter on regeneration of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) in southwestern Argentina. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 28: 683–692. , .
- 2006. Trophic and nontrophic pathways mediate apparent competition through post-dispersal seed predation in a Patagonian mixed forest. Oikos 113: 469–480. , ,
- 1998. Phytochromes and seed germination. Seed Science Research 8: 317–329. , .
- 1999. Absence of a persistent seed bank in Nothofagus pumilio (Fagaceae) in Tierra del Fuego, Chile. Revista Chilena de Historia Natural 72: 73–82. , .
- 2002. Differences in seed germination responses may promote coexistence of four sympatric Piper species. Functional Ecology 16: 258–267. , , , , , .
- 2004. Evidence that heavy grazing may promote the germination of Lolium multiflorum seeds via phytochrome-mediated perception of high red/far red ratios. Functional Ecology 8: 536–542. , , , , , .
- 2004. Synchrony and asynchrony: observations and hypotheses for the flowering wave in a long-lived semelparous bamboo. Journal of Biogeography 31: 773–786. .
- 2002. Tree regeneration responses in a lowland Nothofagus-dominated forest after bamboo dieback in south-central Chile. Plant Ecology 161: 59–73. , , ,
- 1997. Microsite controls on tree seedllng establishment in conifer forest canopy gaps. Ecology 78: 2458–2473. , .
- 1981. A comparative study of germination characteristics in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 69: 1017–1059. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Section 3: seed testing. In: Australian tree seed centre operations manual. Canberra, Australia: CSIRO, 55–107. .
- 1975. The function of phytochrome in plants growing in the natural environment. Nature 262: 210–212. ,
- 2006. Tree regeneration response to Chusquea montana bamboo die-off in a subalpine Nothofagus forest in the southern Andes. Journal of Vegetation Science 17: 19–28. , .
- 1995. Effects of flood-influenced factors on seed germination of Ambrosia tenuifolia. Oecologia 103: 127–132. , , .
- 2003. Myths and facts on ratadas: bamboo blooms, rainfall peaks and rodent outbreaks in South America. Austral Ecology 28: 237–251. ,
- 2007. Impact of red:far red ratios on germination of temperate forest herbs in relation to shade tolerance, seed mass and persistence in the soil. Functional Ecology 21: 1055–1062. , .
- 2006. Changing perspectives on the role of soil seed bank in northern temperate deciduous forests and in tropical lowland rain forests: parallels and contrasts. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 8: 3–21. , .
- 1976. Why bamboos take so long to flower. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 7: 347–391.
- 1999. Mast flowering and semelparity in bamboos: the bamboo fire cycle hypothesis. American Naturalist 154: 383–391. , .
- 2007. Indirect effects of prey swamping: differential seed predation during a bamboo masting event. Ecology 88: 2541–2554. , ,
- 1999. Effect of light on germination of forest trees in Ghana. Journal of Ecology 87: 772–783. , ,
- 2005. The effects of understory bamboo on broad-scale estimates of giant panda habitat. Biological Conservation 121: 383–390. , , , , ,
- Ecological consequences of a massive flowering event of bamboo (Chusquea culeou) in a temperate forest of Patagonia, Argentina. Journal of Vegetation Science. , , . (in press).
- 1976. Linear relationship between phytochrome photoequilibrium growth in plants under simulated natural radiation. Nature 262: 210–212. ,
- 2002. Tree seedling canopy responses to conflicting photosensory cues. Oecologia 132: 197–204. , .
- 1988. Regeneration of beech (Fagus crenata) after the simultaneous death on undergrowing dwarf bamboo (Sasa kurilnesis). Ecological Research 3: 21–35.
- 1994. Biology of the bamboo Chusquea culeou (Poaceae: Bambusoideae) in southern Argentina. Vegetatio 111: 93–126. , , .
- 2002. Germination ecology of neotropical pioneers: interacting effects of environmental conditions and seed size. Ecology 83: 2798–2807. , , , .
- 2003. Functional significance of photoblastic germination in neotropical pioneer trees: a seed's eye view. Functional Ecology 17: 394–402. , , , .
- 2007. Interactive effects of introduced herbivores and post-flowering die-off of bamboos in Patagonia Nothofagus forests. Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 371–378. , , .
- 2005. Climate and net carbon availability determine temporal patterns of seed production by Nothofagus. Ecology 86: 972–981. , , , , , .
- 1997. Evidence for a red:far red signaling and photomorphogenic growth response in Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga manziesii) seedlings. Tree Physiology 17: 161–168.
- 2001. Floración masiva de Chusquea culeou en el Parque Nacional Lanín. Eventuales consecuencias ecológicas, su vinculación con las actividades humanas y necesidades de manejo y monitoreo. San Martín de los Andes, Argentina: Informe Técnico de Parque Nacional Lanín, 21. ,
- 1991. Induction of extreme light sensitivity in buried weed seeds and its role in the perception of soil cultivations. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 501–508. , , .
- 1995. Physiological and ecological function within the phytochrome family. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 289–315.
- 2006. Regeneration patterns and tree species coexistence in old-growth Abies-Picea forests in southwestern China. Forest Ecology and Management 223: 303–317. , , , ,
- 2004. Canopy tree development and undergrowth bamboo dynamics in old-growth Abies-Betula forests in southwestern China: a 12 year study. Forest Ecology and Management 200: 347–360. , ,
- 1995. Tree regeneration in an Abies faxoniana forest after bamboo dieback, Wang Lang Natural Reserve, China. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 25: 2034–2039. , ,
- 1983. A comparative study of germination responses to diurnally fluctuating temperatures. Journal of Applied Ecology 20: 141–156. , .
- 1993. Patterns of seed longevity and germination in the tropical rain-forest. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 69–87. ,
- 1994. Signals for seeds to sense and respond to gaps. In: Caldwell MM, Pearcy RW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 209–236. , .
- 1990. Light beneath the litter in a tropical forest: effect on seed germination. Ecology 71: 1952–1958. , , , , , , .
- 1982. Seed germination of a tropical rainforest tree Heliocarpus donnell-smithii in response to diurnal fluctuations of temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 56: 295–298. ,
- 1982. Phytochrome control of seed germination in the tropical rainforest pioneer tree Cecropia obtusifolia and Piper autritum and its ecological significance. New Phytologist 92: 477–485. ,
- 1982. Growth patterns of Chusquea bamboos in the understory of Chilean Nothofagus forests and their influences in forest dynamics. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 109: 474–487. .
- 2008. Tree species identity alters litter decomposition through long-term plant and soil interactions in a natural forest ecosystem in Patagonia, Argentina. Journal of Ecology 96: 727–736. , .