Water deficits in wheat: fructan exohydrolase (1-FEH) mRNA expression and relationship to soluble carbohydrate concentrations in two varieties
Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 4, pages 843–850, March 2009
How to Cite
Zhang, J., Dell, B., Conocono, E., Waters, I., Setter, T. and Appels, R. (2009), Water deficits in wheat: fructan exohydrolase (1-FEH) mRNA expression and relationship to soluble carbohydrate concentrations in two varieties. New Phytologist, 181: 843–850. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02713.x
- Issue online: 9 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2008
- Received: 9 August 2008, Accepted: 1 November 2008
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts; polyphenol-oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–15. .
- 1980. Contributions to grain yield from pre-anthesis assimilation in tall and dwarf barley phenotypes in two contrasting seasons. Annals of Botany 45: 309–319. , , , .
- 1977. Contribution of stored pre-anthesis assimilate to grain yield in wheat and barley. Nature 270: 431–433. , , .
- 1984. Fructans polymerised and depolymerised in the internodes of winter wheat as grain-filling progressed. Plant Science Letters 36: 213–218. , ,
- 1997. The effect of plant size on wheat response to agents of water stress: II. Water deficit, heat and ABA. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 43–48. , , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 2002. Improving yield of wheat experiencing post-anthesis water deficits through the use of shoot carbohydrate reserves. PhD thesis, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia. .
- 1978. Responses of a standard Australian and Mexican wheat to temperature and water stress. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 29: 1091–1106. , .
- 2006. Genotypic variation for stem reserves and mobilization in wheat: II. Postanthesis changes in internode water-soluble carbohydrates. Crop Science 46: 2093–2103. , , , .
- 1996. Wheat. In: Zamski E, Schaffer AA, eds. Photoassimilate distribution in plants and crops. source-sink relationships. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 501–518. ,
- 1951. The assimilation and degradation of carbohydrates by yeast cells. Journal of Biology Chemistry 193: 113–124. .
- 2002. The ability of wheat cultivars to withstand drought in UK conditions: formation of grain yield. Journal of Agricultural Science 138: 153–169. , ,
- 2007. Identifying physiological traits associated with improved drought resistance in winter wheat. Field Crops Research 103: 11–24. , , , .
- 1976. Effects of drought on grain growth. Nature 264: 541–542. , ,
- 1998. Carbon mobilization in shoot parts and roots of wheat during grain filling: assessment by 13C/12C steady-state labeling, growth analysis and balance sheets of reserves. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 301–313. , ,
- 2004. Fructosyltransferase activity and fructan accumulation during development in wheat exposed to terminal drought. Functional Plant Biology 31: 11–21. , .
- 2005. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of a novel 6&1-FEH from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) preferentially degrading small graminans like bifurcose. Gene 358: 93–101. , ,
- 2000. Osmotic and salt deficit-induced alteration in soluble carbohydrate content in wheat seedlings. Crop Science 40: 482–487. ,
- 1992. Rate of development of postanthesis water stress and grain filling of spring wheat. Crop Science 32: 1238–1242. , , .
- 1989. Nonstructural carbohydrates of wheat stems as influenced by sink-source manipulations. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 243–250. ,
- 2002. 2002 Crop variety sowing guide for Western Australia. Crop Variety Testing. Perth, Western Australia: Department of Agriculture and Food. ,
- 1985. Effect of drought on metabolism and partitioning of carbon in two wheat varieties differing in drought-tolerance. Annals of Botany 55: 727–742. , , , .
- 1993. Use of chemical desiccants and senescing agents to select wheat lines maintaining stable grainsize during post-anthesis water stress. Field Crops Research 31: 155–171. , .
- 1994. Remobilization of carbon and nitrogen in wheat as influenced by postanthesis water deficits. Crop Science 34: 118–124. , , , .
- 1991. Contribution of stem dry matter to grain yield in wheat cultivars. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 53–64. , .
- 2002. CIMMYT international wheat breeding. In: Curtis BC, Rajaram S, Gómez Macpherson H, eds. Bread wheat improvement and production. Rome, Italy: The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. , , .
- 2006. Genotypic variation in water-soluble carbohydrate accumulation in wheat. Functional Plant Biology 33: 799–809. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The role of carbohydrate storage and redistribution in the source-sink relations of wheat and barley during grain filling – a review. New Phytologist 123: 233–245.
- 2008. Does fructan have a functional role in physiological traits? Investigation by quantitative trait locus mapping. New Phytologist 179: 765–776. , , , , , .
- 2003. Fructan 1-exhydrolases. beta–(2,1)-trimmers during graminan biosynthesis in stems of wheat? purification, characterization, mass maping, and cloning of two fructan 1-exohydrolase isoforms. Plant Physiology 131: 621–631. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Plant fructan exohydrolases a role in signaling and defense? Trends in Plant Science 9: 523–528. , , .
- 2008. Purification, cloning and functional differences of a third fructan 1-exohydrolase (1-FEHw3) from wheat (Triticum aestivum). Physiologia Plantarum 133: 242–253. , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Purification, cloning and functional characterization of a fructan 6-exohydrolase from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 213–223. , , , , ,
- 1997. Production, persistence and water-soluble carbohydrate accumulation in 21 contrasting populations of Dactylis glomerata L. subjected to severe drought in the south of France. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 48: 933–944. ,
- 2000. Mobilization of fructan reserves and changes in enzyme activities in wheat stems correlate with water stress during kernel filling. New Phytologist 148: 413–422. ,
- 1995. Fructan: an extension of sucrose by sucrose. In: Pontis HG, Salerno GL, Echeverria EJ, eds. Sucrose metabolism, biochemitry, physiology and molecular biology. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists, 178–189. , ,
- 2008. Molecular dissection of variation in carbohydrate metabolism related to water soluble carbohydrate accumulation in stems of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Physiology 146: 441–454. , , , , ,
- 2006. Grain filling of cereals under soil drying (Tansley review). New Phytologist 169: 223–236. , .
- 2000. Remobilization of carbon reserves is improved by controlled soil drying during grain filling of wheat. Crop Science 40: 1645–1655. , , , ,
- 2004. Activities of fructan- and sucrose-metabolizing enzymes in wheat stems subjected to water stress during filling. Planta 220: 331–343. , , , , .
- 1954. The estimation of carbohydrates in plant extracts by anthrone. Biochemistry Journal 57: 508–514. , .
- 2008. The genome structure of the 1-FEH genes in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.): New markers to track stem carbohydrates and grain filling QTLs in breeding. Molecular Breeding 22: 339–351. , , , , , , , ,