Influence of mitochondrial β-oxidation on early pea seedling development
Article first published online: 16 DEC 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 4, pages 832–842, March 2009
How to Cite
Masterson, C. and Wood, C. (2009), Influence of mitochondrial β-oxidation on early pea seedling development. New Phytologist, 181: 832–842. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02717.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 16 DEC 2008
- Received: 31 July 2008, Accepted: 4 November 2008
- 1991. Differences between human, rat and guinea-pig hepatocyte cultures – a comparative study of their rates of beta-oxidation and esterification of palmitate and their sensitivity to R-etomoxir. Biochemical Pharmacology 42: 1711–1715. , , .
- 1993. The role of cytokinin in organized differentiation of vascular tissues. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 20: 601–608.
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–15. .
- 1961. Metabolic production of sucrose from fat. Nature 191: 433–436.
- 1980. The role of the glyoxalate cycle. In: Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. The biochemistry of plants, Vol. 4. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 117–130.
- 1999. Identification, separation, and characterization of acyl-Coenzyme A dehydrogenase involved in mitochondrial β-oxidation in higher plants. Plant Physiology 119: 1305–1314. , ,
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye-binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1963. Carnitine in intermediary metabolism. The biosynthesis of palmitoylcarnitine by cell subfractions. Journal of Biological Chemistry 238: 2774–2779.
- 1985. Separation of mitochondria from microbodies of Pisum sativum (L. cv. Alaska) cotyledons. Planta 166: 151–155. , , .
- 1986. Benzyladenine effects on the development of the photosynthetic apparatus in Zea mays– studies on photosynthetic activity, enzymes and (etio)chloroplast ultrastructure. Physiologia Plantarum 66: 685–691. , .
- 1969. β-oxidation in glyoxysomes from castor bean endosperm. Journal of Biological Chemistry 244: 3514–3520. ,
- 1989. Synthesis of enantiomers of 2-[6-(4-chlorophenoxy)hexyl]-oxirane-2-carboxylic acid. Tetrahedron Letters 30: 885–888. , , , .
- 1993. Effects of glucose starvation on the oxidation of fatty acids by maize root tip mitochondria and peroxisomes: evidence for mitochondrial fatty acid β-oxidation and acyl-CoA dehydrogenase activity in a higher plant. Biochemical Journal 296: 199–207. , , ,
- 1991. Autophagy triggered by sucrose depravation in sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) cells. In: Emes MJ, ed. Compartmentation of plant metabolism in nonphotosynthetic tissues. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 127–145. , , , , ,
- 1993. Catabolism of fatty acids (α- and β-oxidation). In: Moore TS, ed. Lipid metabolism in plants. Baton Rouge, LA, USA: CRC Press, 527–565.
- 1988. Apparent induction of key enzymes of the glyoxylic-acid cycle in senescent barley leaves. Planta 176: 548–550. ,
- 1990. Glyoxisome-like microbodies in senescent spinach leaves. Plant Science 72: 159–163. ,
- 2002. Arabidopsis A BOUT DE SOUFFLE, which is homologous with mammalian carnitine acyl carrier, is required for postembryonic growth in the light. The Plant Cell 14: 2161–2173. , , , , ,
- 2007. Disruption of AtOCT1, an organic cation transporter gene, affects root development and carnitine-related responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 51: 154–164. , , , , , ,
- 1971. Regulators of cell division in plant tissues. XII A cytokinin bioassay using excised radish cotyledons. Physiologia Plantarum 25: 391–396. .
- 2000. Acyl CoA dehydrogenase activity in pea cotyledon tissue during germination and initial growth. Biochemical Society Transactions. 28: 760–764. , ,
- 2000a. Mitochondrial β-oxidation of fatty acids in higher plants. Physiologia Plantarum 109: 217–224. ,
- 2000b. Carnitine palmitoyltransferases in pea leaf chloroplasts: partial purification, location and properties. Canadian Journal of Botany 78: 328–335. ,
- 2001. Mitochondrial and peroxisomal β-oxidation capacities of organs from a nonoilseed plant. Proceedings of the Royal Society London B 268: 1949–1953. ,
- 1995. Cytokinin biosynthesis and metabolism. In: Davies PJ, ed. Plant hormones. Physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 98–117. .
- 1974. Isolation of intact plastids from a range of plant tissues. Plant Physiology 53: 870–874. ,
- 1998. Contribution of mitochondria and peroxisomes to palmitate oxidation in rat and bovine tissues. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 121: 185–194. , , ,
- 1991. Peroxisomal enzyme activities in attached senescent leaves. Planta 184: 151–153. , ,
- 1992. Peroxisomal β-oxidation of fatty acids and citrate formation by a particulate fraction from early germinating sunflower seeds. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 3: 153–162. , , , ,
- 1988. Quantification of carbon fluxes through the tricarboxylic acid cycle in early germinating lettuce embryos. Journal of Biological Chemistry 263: 12278–12287. , ,
- 2004. Improved synthesis of enantiomerically pure etomoxir and its 2,4-dinitro analogue. Arkivoc 2004 (x): 118–133. , .
- 1989. Substituted 2-oxiranecarboxylic acids – a new group of candidate hypoglycaemic drugs. Trends in Pharmacological Science 1: 495–500. , .
- 1991. β-Oxidation of fatty acids. Biochemica et Biophysica Acta 1081: 109–120.
- 1980. Biosynthesis of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. In: Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. The biochemistry of plants, Vol. 4. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 177–204. .
- 1987. The biosynthesis of saturated fatty acids. In: Stumpf PK, Conn EE, eds. The biochemistry of plants, Vol. 9. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 121–136. .
- 1992. A single gene locus, CKR1, defines Arabidopsis mutants in which root growth is resistant to low concentrations of cytokinin. Plant Physiology 99: 1569–1574. , .
- 1980. Membrane lipid breakdown in relation to the wound-induced and cyanide-resistant respiration in tissue slices. Plant Physiology 66: 890–896. , .
- 1976. The effect of carnitine on the oxidation of saturated fatty acids by pea cotyledon mitochondria. Planta 132: 61–63. , .
- 1982. The synthesis of palmitoylcarnitine by etio-chloroplasts of greening barley leaves. Planta 154: 60–65. , , , , , ,
- 1986. The two β-oxidation sites in pea cotyledons. Carnitine palmitoyltransferase: location and function in pea mitochondria. Planta 168: 261–266. ,
- 1984. Biosynthesis of jasmonic acid by several plant species. Plant Physiology 75: 458–461. , .
- 2002. Profiling membrane lipids in plant stress responses: Role of phospholipase D (alpha) in freezing-induced lipid changes in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 31994–32002. , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. The effect of carnitine on chlorophyll synthesis by pea seedlings. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A 132: S178. , ,
- 1992. The role of carnitine in plant cell metabolism. In: Tobin AK, ed. Plant organelles. Cambridge, UK: University Press, 229–263. , , .
- 1984. Carnitine long-chain acyltransferase and oxidation of palmitate, palmitoyl-CoA and palmitoylcarnitine by pea mitochondria preparations. Planta 161: 255–260. , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Identification of traumatin, a wound hormone, as 12-oxo-trans-10-dodecenoic acid. Plant Physiology 63: 536–541. , .