An increase in the concentration of abscisic acid is critical for nitric oxide-mediated plant adaptive responses to UV-B irradiation
Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 181, Issue 4, pages 871–879, March 2009
How to Cite
Tossi, V., Lamattina, L. and Cassia, R. (2009), An increase in the concentration of abscisic acid is critical for nitric oxide-mediated plant adaptive responses to UV-B irradiation. New Phytologist, 181: 871–879. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02722.x
- Issue online: 9 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2009
- Received: 26 September 2008, Accepted: 9 November 2008
- 1998. Reactive oxygen intermediates mediate a systemic signal network in the establishment of plant immunity. Cell 92: 773–784. , , , , ,
- 2005. Effects of nitric oxide on growth of maize seedling leaves in the presence or absence of ultraviolet-B radiation. Journal of Plant Physiology 162: 317–326. , , , ,
- 2004. Antagonistic interaction between abscisic acid and jasmonate–ethylene signalling pathways modulates defence gene expression and disease resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 3460–3479. , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review Plant Biology 55: 373–399. ,
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts: phenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–15. .
- 2007. Resistance to Botrytis cinerea in sitiens, an abscisic acid-deficient tomato mutant, involves timely production of hydrogen peroxide and cell wall modifications in the epidermis. Plant Physiology 144: 1863–1877. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Abscisic acid determines basal susceptibility of tomato to Botrytis cinerea and suppresses salicylic acid-dependent signalling mechanisms. Plant Physiology 128: 1–11. , ,
- 2000. Nitric oxide stimulates seed germination and de-etiolation, and inhibits hypocotyl elongation, three light-inducible responses in plants. Planta 210: 215–221. ,
- 2002. Nitric oxide interferes with plant photo-oxidative stress by detoxifying reactive oxygen species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 737–748. ,
- 2000. Extracellular H2O2 induced by oligogalacturonides is not involved in the inhibition of the auxin-regulated rolB gene expression in tobacco leaf explants. Plant Physiology 122: 1379–1385. , , , , .
- 2006. ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure in Arabidopsis are dependent on H2O2 synthesis. Plant Journal 45: 113–122. , , , , .
- 2005. A UV-B-specific signalling component orchestrates plant UV protection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 18225–18230. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Rapid transcriptome responses of maize (Zea mays) to UV-B in irradiated and shielded tissues. Genome Biology 5: R16. ,
- 2003. Nitric oxide alleviates oxidative damage in the green alga Chlorella pyrenoidosa caused by UV-B radiation. Folia Microbiology (Praha) 48: 389–393. , , ,
- 2006. Nitric oxide modulates the expression of cell cycle regulatory genes during lateral root formation in tomato. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 581–588. , , ,
- 2005. NO news is good news for plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 390–396.
- 2008. Nitric oxide-induced phosphatidic acid accumulation: a role for phospholipases C and D in stomatal closure Plant, Cell & Environment 2: 187–194. , , ,
- 1998. Defense gene induction in tobacco by nitric oxide, cyclic GMP, and cyclic ADP-ribose. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 10328–10333. , , .
- 2003. Ultraviolet-B radiation-mediated responses in plants. Balancing damage and protection. Plant Physiology 133: 1420–1428. ,
- 2001. Nitric oxide induces stomatal closure and enhances the adaptive plant responses against drought stress. Plant Physiology 126: 1196–1204. ,
- 2002. Nitric oxide and abscisic acid cross talk in guard cells. Plant Physiology 128: 790–792. ,
- 2003. Atmospheric science: ultraviolet light and leaf emission of NO(x). Nature 422: 134. , , , , ,
- 2005. The role and the interrelationship of hydrogen peroxide and nitric oxide in the UV-B-induced stomatal closure in broad bean. Functional Plant Biology 32: 237–247. , , , ,
- 2007. Perception and transduction of abscisic acid signals: keys to the function of the versatile plant hormone ABA. Trends in Plant Science 12: 343–351. ,
- 2006. Abscisic acid is a key inducer of hydrogen peroxide production in leaves of maize plants exposed to water stress. Plant Cell Physiology 47: 1484–1495. , , ,
- 2002a. Involvement of plasma-membrane NADPH oxidase in abscisic acid- and water stress-induced antioxidant defence in leaves of maize seedlings. Planta 215: 1022–1030. ,
- 2002b. Water stress-induced abscisic acid accumulation triggers the increased generation of reactive oxygen species and up-regulates the activities of antioxidant enzymes in maize leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany. 53: 2401–2410. ,
- 2003. Cross-talk between calcium and reactive oxygen species originated from NADPH oxidase in abscisic acid-induced antioxidant defence in leaves of maize seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 929–939. ,
- 2006. The role of NADPH oxidase and MAP kinase phosphatase in UV-B-dependent gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1783–1793. ,
- 2008. UV induced DNA damage promotes resistance to the biotrophic pathogen Hyaloperonospora parasitica in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 148: 1021–1031. , , , , , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide: the versatility of an extensive signal molecule. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 109–136. , , ,
- 2007. Nitric oxide in plant growth, development and stress physiology. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide is critical for inducing phosphatidic acid accumulation in xylanase-elicited tomato cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 21160–21168. , , ,
- 2001. Early signalling components in ultraviolet-B responses: distinct roles for different reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide. FEBS Letters 489: 237–242. , , ,
- 2005. The role of abscisic acid in plant–pathogen interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 409–414. ,
- 2003. Abscisic acid influences the susceptibility of Arabidopsis thaliana to Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato and Peronospora parasitica. Functional Plant Biology 30: 461–469. , .
- 2001. Hydrogen peroxide acts as a second messenger for the induction of defense genes in tomato plants in response to wounding, systemin, and methyl jasmonate. Plant Cell 13: 179–191. , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide mediates the indole acetic acid induction activation of a mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade involved in adventitious root development. Plant Physiology 135: 279–286. , , ,
- 2006. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in ultraviolet-B induced inhibition of pea stems elongation. Plant Science 170: 994–1000. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Identification of a novel cis-regulatory element for UV-B-induced transcription in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 54: 402–414. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Release of reactive oxygen intermediates (superoxide radicals, hydrogen peroxide, and hydroxyl radicals) and peroxidase in germinating radish seeds controlled by light, gibberellin, and abscisic acid. Plant Physiology 125: 1591–602. , ,
- 2005. Protective effect of nitric oxide against oxidative stress under ultraviolet-B radiation. Nitric Oxide 13: 1–9. , , , ,
- 1997. Hormonal regulation of dormancy in developing sorghum seeds. Plant Physiology 113: 149–154. , , .
- 1997. Genetic control of abscisic acid biosynthesis in maize. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 12235–12240. , , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide synthesis and signalling in plants. Plant, Cell & Environmental 31: 622–631. , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide alleviates oxidative damage induced by enhanced ultraviolet-B radiation in cyanobacterium. Current Microbiology 55: 294–301. , , , , ,
- 2007. Nitric oxide induced by hydrogen peroxide mediates abscisic acid-induced activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade involved in antioxidant defense in maize leaves. New Phytologist 175: 36–50. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Mitogen-activated protein kinase is involved in abscisic acid-induced antioxidant defense and acts downstream of reactive oxygen species production in leaves of maize plants. Plant Physiology 141: 475–487. , , , ,
- 2003. The cascade mechanisms of nitric oxide as a second messenger of ultraviolet B in inhibiting mesocotyl elongations. Photochemistry and Photobiology 77: 219–225. , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in salt resistance in the calluses from two ecotypes of reed. Plant Physiology 134: 849–857. , , , , ,
- 2005. Nitric oxide is involved in abscisic acid-induced antioxidant activities in Stylosanthes guianensis. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 3223–3228. , , ,