Temperature dependence of respiration in roots colonized by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi
Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 182, Issue 1, pages 188–199, April 2009
How to Cite
Atkin, O. K., Sherlock, D., Fitter, A. H., Jarvis, S., Hughes, J. K., Campbell, C., Hurry, V. and Hodge, A. (2009), Temperature dependence of respiration in roots colonized by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist, 182: 188–199. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02727.x
- Issue online: 6 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2008
- Received: 6 October 2008, Accepted: 12 November 2008
- 1989. Dynamics of arbuscule development and degeneration in onion, bean, and tomato with reference to vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizae in grasses. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 2505–2513. , , , .
- 2008. Using temperature- dependent changes in leaf scaling relationships to quantitatively account for thermal acclimation of respiration in a coupled global climate-vegetation model. Global Change Biology 14: 2709–2726. , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. The hot and the cold: unraveling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 2005b. Response of plant respiration to changes in temperature: mechanisms and consequences of variations in Q10 values and acclimation. In: Lambers H, Ribas-Carbó M, eds. Plant respiration. From cell to ecosystem. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 95–135. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 2007. Impact of temperature on the relationship between respiration and nitrogen concentration in roots: an analysis of scaling relationships, Q10 values and thermal acclimation ratios. New Phytologist 173: 110–120. , , , .
- 1989. Root respiration and growth in Plantago major as affected by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal infection. Plant Physiology 91: 227–232. , ,
- 2003. Soil and rhizosphere microorganisms have the same Q10 for respiration in a model system. Global Change Biology 9: 1788–1791. ,
- 1998. Roots exert a strong influence on the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration. Nature 396: 570–572. , , , .
- 2007. Acclimation of photosynthesis and respiration is asynchronous in response to changes in temperature regardless of plant functional group. New Phytologist 176: 375–389. , , , , ,
- 2002. Regulation of root respiration in two species of Plantago that differ in relative growth rate: the effect of short- and long-term changes in temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1501–1513. , , .
- 2001. Description of the ‘TRIFFID’ dynamic global vegetation model. Hadley centre technical note 24. Bracknell, UK: Hadley Centre, Met Office, 1–16.
- 1988. Carbon cost of the fungal symbiont relative to net leaf P accumulation in a split-root VA mycorrhizal symbiosis. Plant Physiology 86: 491–496. , , .
- 1989. Monclonal antibodies to the alternative oxidase of higher plant mitochondria. Plant Physiology 89: 1311–1317. , ,
- 2001. Plant physiology of the ‘missing’ carbon sink. Plant Physiology 125: 25–28. .
- 2005. Temperature constraints on the growth and functioning of root organ cultures with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 168: 179–188. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 1989. Differential fractionation of oxygen isotopes by cyanide-resistant and cyanide-sensitive respiration in plants. Planta 177: 483–491. , , , .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 1991. Regulation of glycolysis in heterotrophic cell suspension cultures of Chenopodium rubrum in response to proton fluxes at the plasmalemma. Plant Physiology 81: 103–110. ,
- 2006. Respiration of the external mycelium in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis shows strong dependence on recent photosynthates and acclimation to temperature. New Phytologist 171: 159–170. , , , .
- 2001. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi influence decomposition of, but not plant nutrient capture from, glycine patches in soil. New Phytologist 151: 725–734.
- 2003. N capture by Plantago lanceolata and Brassica napus from organic material: the influence of spatial dispersion, plant competition and an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2331–2342.
- 2008. Mycorrhizal respiration: implications for global scaling relationships. Trends in Plant Science 13: 583–588. , , , .
- 2006. Plant respiration in a warmer world. Science 312: 536–537. , , , , .
- 2007. Temperature-respiration relationships differ in mycorrhizal and nonmycorrhizal root systems of Picea abies (L.) Karst. Plant Biology 9: 545–549. , , , , , .
- 1982. Quantification of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae in plant roots. In: Schenck NC, ed. Methods and principles of mycorrhizal research. St Paul, MN, USA: American Phytopathological Society, 37–46. ,
- 2004. Maintenance of growth rate at low temperature in rice and wheat cultivars with a high degree of respiratory homeostasis is associated with a high efficiency of respiratory ATP production. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 1015–1022. , , , ,
- 1989. Immunological identification of the alternative oxidase of Neurospora crassa mitochondria. Molecular and Cellular Biology 9: 1362–1364. , , , ,
- 2005. Mycorrhizal status influences the rate but not the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration. Plant and Soil 277: 335–344. , , .
- 1995. Acclimation of leaf dark respiration to temperature in alpine and lowland plant species. Annals of Botany 76: 245–252. , .
- 2001. Increased levels of adenine nucleotides modify the interaction between starch synthesis and respiration when adenine is supplied to discs from growing potato tubers. Planta 212: 782–791. , ,
- 2005. Organization and metabolism of plastids and mitochondria in arbuscular mycorrhizal roots of Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 139: 329–340. , , , , ,
- 2003. Thermal acclimation of leaf and root respiration: an investigation comparing inherently fast- and slow-growing plant species. Global Change Biology 9: 895–910. , , , , , .
- 2002. Growth temperature influences the underlying components of relative growth rate: an investigation using inherently fast- and slow-growing plant species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 975–987. , , , , .
- 2001. Acclimatization of soil respiration to warming in a tall grass prairie. Nature 413: 622–625. , , , .
- 2008. Acclimation to temperature and temperature sensitivity of metabolism by ectomycorrhizal fungi. Global Change Biology 14: 1169–1180. , , , .
- 1990. A new method which gives an objective-measure of colonization of roots by vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 1991. A modified method for elucidating the structure of the fungal partner in a vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhiza. Mycological Research 95: 1435–1437. , .
- 1995. A critique of the use of inhibitors to estimate partitioning of electrons between mitochondrial respiratory pathways in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 95: 523–532. , , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of respiratory chain regulation in roots of soybean seedlings. Plant Physiology 117: 1083–1093. , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of alternative oxidase activity in six wild monocotyledonous species. An in vivo study at the whole root level. Plant Physiology 126: 376–387. , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Acclimation of leaf respiratory properties in Alocasia odora following reciprocal transfers of plants between high- and low-light environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 831–839. , ,
- 1990. Carbon and nitrogen economy of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Plant Physiology 94: 621–627. , ,
- 2000. Responses of tree fine roots to temperature. New Phytologist 147: 105–115. , , , .
- 2006. Root respiratory characteristics associated with plant adaptation to high soil temperature for geothermal and turf-type Agrostis species. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 623–631. , ,
- 1991. Molecular-cloning of cDNA for antimycin A-inducible messenger-RNA and its role in cyanide-resistant respiration in Hansenula anomala. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1090: 102–108. , , ,
- 1997. Biogeochemistry. an analysis of global change. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2006. Biological control of the terrestrial carbon sink. Biogeosciences 3: 147–166. .
- 1983. A comparison of growth efficiency and specific rate of dark respiration of uninfected and vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal plants of Trifolium subterraneum L. New Phytologist 93: 555–566. , , .
- 2008. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 3rd edn . London, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 1982. The distribution of carbon and the demand of the fungal symbiont in leek plants with vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 92: 75–87. , , , .
- 2003. Rapid turnover of hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi determined by AMS microanalysis of C-14. Science 300: 1138–1140. , , , , .
- 1999. Changes in leaf nitrogen and carbohydrates underlie temperature and CO2 acclimation of dark respiration in five boreal tree species. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 767–778. , ,
- 2007. Respiratory responses of arbuscular mycorrhizal roots to short-term alleviation of P deficiency. Mycorrhiza 17: 137–143. ,
- 1997. Alternative oxidase: from gene to function. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 703–734. ,
- 1985. The tricarboxylic acid cycle in plant mitochondria: its operation and regulation. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology 85: 281–313. .