Microscale mechanisms of gas exchange in fruit tissue
Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 182, Issue 1, pages 163–174, April 2009
How to Cite
Ho, Q. T., Verboven, P., Mebatsion, H. K., Verlinden, B. E., Vandewalle, S. and Nicolaï, B. M. (2009), Microscale mechanisms of gas exchange in fruit tissue. New Phytologist, 182: 163–174. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02732.x
- Issue online: 6 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2009
- Received: 18 September 2008, Accepted: 13 November 2008
- 2002. A three-dimensional model of CO2 transport in airspaces and mesophyll cells of a silver birch leaf. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1399–1409. ,
- 2006. A tentative mathematical model to describe the evolution of the aerobic and anaerobic respiration rates of golden delicious apples with temperature, PO2 and PCO2. Italian Journal of Food Science 18: 3–19. , , , ,
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. ,
- 2006. Rhizome phyllosphere oxygenation in Phragmites and other species in relation to redox potential, convective gas flow, submergence and aeration pathways. New Phytologist 172: 719–731. , ,
- 2004. Regulation of intracellular pH. Advances in Physiology Education 28: 160–179. .
- 1985. CO2 and intracellular pH. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 459–465. .
- 1965. Gas exchange in fruits. Plant Physiology 18: 870–874. , .
- 1982. A simple method for the determination of resistance to gas diffusion in plant organs. Plant Physiology 70: 21–23. , .
- 1992. Soil aeration and plant-root metabolism. Soil Science 154: 259–268. .
- 1997. Oxygen deficiency and root metabolism: injury and acclimation under hypoxia and anoxia. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 223–250. .
- 2007. Browning disorders in pear fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology 43: 1–13. , , , , ,
- 2000. Carbon dioxide transport and carbonic anhydrase in blood and muscle. Physiological Reviews 80: 681–715. ,
- 2000. Metabolic activity decreases as an adaptive response to low internal oxygen in growing potato tubers. Biological Chemistry 381: 723–740. , , , ,
- 1974. Facilitated diffusion of CO2 across albumin solutions. Journal of General Physiology 64: 356–371. ,
- 1976. Proton transport by phosphate diffusion: a mechanism of facilitated CO2 transfer. Journal of General Physiology 67: 773–790. , , ,
- 1996. Plant cell biology: structure and function, Boston, MA, USA: Jones and Bartlett. , .
- 1977. Diffusion of carbon dioxide through lipid bilayer membranes: effect of carbonic anhydrase, bicarbonate, and unstirred layers. Journal of General Physiology 69: 779–794. , , .
- 2008. A continuum model for gas exchange in pear fruit. Plos Computational Biology 4: e1000023. , , , , , .
- 2006a. Gas diffusion properties at different positions in the pear. Postharvest Biology and Technology 41: 113–120. , , , .
- 2006b. A permeation-diffusion-reaction model of gas transport in cellular tissue of plant materials. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 4215–4224. , , , , .
- 1985. Modern inorganic chemistry. New York, NY, USA: McGraw-Hill. .
- 1978. Measurement of intracellular pH and aspects of its control in higher plant cells cultivated in liquid medium. Respiration Physiology 33: 75–89. , ,
- 2004. Visualization of 3-D network of gas-filled intercellular spaces in cucumber fruit after harvest. Postharvest Biology and Technology 33: 255–262. , , , ,
- 2001b. Comparative study of the O2, CO2 and temperature effect on respiration between ‘Conference’ pear cells in suspension and intact pears. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1769–1777. , , , .
- 2003. A respiration–diffusion model for ‘Conference’ pears I: model development and validation. Postharvest Biology and Technology 30: 29–42. , , , , .
- 2001a. Simultaneous determination of oxygen diffusivity and respiration in pear skin and tissue. Postharvest Biology and Technology 23: 93–104. , , , , .
- 1983. Transport of gases into leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 181–194.
- 1999. Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. New York, NY, USA: CRC Press. .
- 1966. Diffusion of carbon dioxide through thin layers of solution. Nature 209: 393–394. , , .
- 2003. Aerenchyma formation and radial O2 loss along adventitious roots of wheat with only the apical root portion exposed to O2 deficiency. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1713–1722. , , ,
- 2006b. Modelling fruit microstructure using novel ellipse tessellation algorithm. Computer Modeling in Engineering & Science 14: 1–14. , , , , , , .
- 2006a. Microscale modelling of fruit tissue using Voronoi tessellations. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 52: 36–48. , , , , , .
- 2007. Three-dimensional pore space quantification of apple tissue using X-ray computed microtomography. Planta 226: 559–570. , , , , , .
- 1994. Oxygen affinity of terminal oxydases in soybean mtochondria. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 32: 847–852. , , .
- 2001. Plant mitochondria and oxidative stress: electron transport, NADPH turnover, and metabolism of reactive oxygen species. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 561–591. .
- 1991. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology. London, UK: Academic Press Inc., 1–46. .
- 1996. Modelling oxidative and fermentative carbon dioxide production of fruits and vegetables. Postharvest Biology and Technology 9: 283–295. , , , .
- 1997. Role of the alternative oxidase in limiting superoxide production by plant mitochondria. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 165–170. .
- 2001. Reduction of superoxise production by mitochondria oxidizing NADH in the presence of organic acids. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 159–165. .
- 1996. Into the voids: the distribution, function, development and maintenance of gas spaces in plants. Annals of Botany 78: 137–142. .
- 1997. Invivo and in vitro swelling of cell walls during fruit ripening. Planta 203: 162–173. , , , , ,
- 1981. Extent of intracellular pH changes during H+ extrusion by maize root tip cells. Planta 152: 74–78. , , ,
- 1982. Regulation of cytoplasmic and vacuolar pH in maize root tips under different experimental conditions. Plant Physiology 69: 1344–1347. , , ,
- 2003. Energy status and its control on embryogenesis of legumes. Embryo photosynthesis contributes to oxygen supply and its coupled to biosynthetic fluxes. Plant Physiology 132: 1196–1206. , ,
- 2004. Energy state and its control on seed development: starch accumulation is associated with high ATP and steep oxygen gradients within barley grains. Journal of experimental Botany 55: 1351–1359. , , , ,
- 1984. Critical oxygen pressure for growth and respiration of excised and intact roots. Plant Physiology 76: 151–154. , , ,
- 2003. Simultaneous measurement of oxygen and carbon dioxide diffusivity in pear fruit tissue. Postharvest Biology and Technology 29: 155–166. , , , .
- 2002. Factors affecting skin resistance measurements in pipfruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology 25: 169–179. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Diffusion pathway for oxygen into highly thermogenic florets of the arum lily Philodendron selloum. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1465–1472. .
- 1994. Chloride and bicarbonate transport in chick embryonic red blood cells. Journal of Physiology 477: 393–401. , ,
- 1981. Physical and morphological constraints on transport in nodules. Plant Physiology 67: 143–145. ,
- 1979. Intracellular pH and its regulation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 30: 289–311. , .
- 2008. Origin, fate and significance of CO2 in tree stems. New Phytologist 177: 17–32. , , , .
- 1992. Diffusion coefficient for O2 in plasma and mitochondrial membranes of rat cardiomyocytes. Respiration Physiology 90: 351–362. , , ,
- 2003. Phloem metabolism and function have to cope with low internal oxygen. Plant Physiology 131: 1529–1543. , , ,
- 2008. 3-D gas exchange pathways in pome fruit characterised by synchrotron X-ray computed tomography. Plant Physiology 147: 518–527. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of stomatal CO2 uptake by a three-dimensional cylindrically symmetric model. New Phytologist 132: 235–245. , , , ,
- 1998. Postharvest, an introduction to the physiology and handling of fruit, vegetables and ornamentals. Wallingford Oxon, UK: CAB International. , , ,
- 2002. Calculation of effective diffusivities for biofilms and tissues. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 77: 495–516. , , .