Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Creative Commons Deed, Attribution 2.5, which does not permit commercial exploitation.
Metabolic pathways in tropical dicotyledonous albuminous seeds: Coffea arabica as a case study
Article first published online: 22 JAN 2009
No claim to original French government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 182, Issue 1, pages 146–162, April 2009
How to Cite
Joët, T., Laffargue, A., Salmona, J., Doulbeau, S., Descroix, F., Bertrand, B., de Kochko, A. and Dussert, S. (2009), Metabolic pathways in tropical dicotyledonous albuminous seeds: Coffea arabica as a case study. New Phytologist, 182: 146–162. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02742.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 22 JAN 2009
- Received: 27 September 2008, Accepted: 28 November 2008
- 1994. Distribution and utilization of chlorogenic acid in Coffea seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 497–503. , .
- 2003. A new database for seed oil fatty acids – the database sofa. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 105: 92–103. , ,
- 2002. An integrated overview of seed development in Arabidopsis thaliana ecotype WS. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 40: 151–160. , , , ,
- 2005. The AtSuc5 sucrose transporter specifically expressed in the endosperm is involved in early seed development in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 43: 824–836. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Arabidopsis genes involved in acyl lipid metabolism. A 2003 census of the candidates, a study of the distribution of expressed sequence tags in organs, and a web-based database. Plant Physiology 132: 681–697. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1997. Cinnamate-4-hydroxylase expression in Arabidopsis. Regulation in response to development and the environment. Plant Physiology 113: 729–738. , , ,
- 2008. Comparison of the effectiveness of fatty acids, chlorogenic acids, and elements for the chemometric discrimination of coffee (Coffea arabica L.) varieties and growing origins. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 56: 2273–2280. , , , , ,
- 2003. Chlorogenic acid content swap during fruit maturation in Coffea pseudozanguebariae –qualitative comparison with leaves. Plant Science 165: 1355–1361. , , , , ,
- 1998. High-resolution histographical mapping of glucose concentrations in developing cotyledons of Vicia faba in relation to mitotic activity and storage processes: glucose as a possible developmental trigger. Plant Journal 15: 583–591. , , , ,
- 2004. Trigonelline and sucrose diversity in wild Coffea species. Food Chemistry 88: 39–43. , , , , ,
- 1987. Chemical and physical aspects of green coffee and coffee products. In: Clifford MN, Wilson KC, eds. Coffee: botany, biochemistry and production of beans and beverage. London, UK: Croom Helm, 305–374. .
- 2005. Characterization in vitro and in vivo of the putative multigene 4-coumarate:CoA ligase network in Arabidopsis: syringyl lignin and sinapate/sinapyl alcohol derivative formation. Phytochemistry 66: 2072–2091. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1996. Composition of green coffee water-soluble fractions and identification of volatiles formed during roasting. Food Chemistry 55: 203–207. , , , , .
- 1985. Etude microscopique du développement et de la maturation du grain de café. Proceedings of the International Congress of ASIC 11: 381–398.
- 2004. Guar seed beta-mannan synthase is a member of the cellulose synthase super gene family. Science 303: 363–366. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1978. Concentrations of chlorogenic acid, oil, and fatty acids in developing sunflower seeds. Crop Science 18: 667–670. .
- 2000. Accumulation of palmitate in Arabidopsis mediated by the acyl-acyl carrier protein thioesterase FATb1. Plant Physiology 123: 637–643. , , .
- 2006. Oxidative stress, phospholipid loss and lipid hydrolysis during drying and storage of intermediate seeds. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 192–204. , , , , ,
- 2000. Coordinate changes in carbon partitioning and plastidial metabolism during the development of oilseed rape embryos. Plant Physiology 122: 767–774. ,
- 2004. The seeds of Lotus japonicus lines transformed with sense, antisense, and sense/antisense galactomannan galactosyltransferase constructs have structurally altered galactomannans in their endosperm cell walls. Plant Physiology 134: 1153–1162. , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular characterisation of a membrane-bound galactosyltransferase of plant cell wall matrix polysaccharide biosynthesis. Plant Journal 19: 691–697. , , , , , .
- 2006. Phenolic compounds in coffee. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 23–36. , .
- 2006. Seed dormancy and the control of germination. New Phytologist 171: 501–523. ,
- 2002. Coffee flavour chemistry. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons.
- 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry 226: 497–509. , , .
- 2002. The evolution of embryo size in angiosperms and other seed plants: implications for the evolution of seed dormancy. Evolution 56: 2112–2125. , ,
- 2007. A combined proteome and transcriptome analysis of developing Medicago truncatula seeds: evidence for metabolic specialization of maternal and filial tissues. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 6: 2165–2179. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Biochemical and genomic analysis of sucrose metabolism during coffee (Coffea arabica) fruit development. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 3243–3258. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. The biosynthesis of UDP-galacturonic acid in plants. Functional cloning and characterization of Arabidopsis UDP-D-glucuronic acid 4-epimerase. Plant Physiology 136: 4256–4264. ,
- 2006. Proteomic analysis of seed filling in Brassica napus. Developmental characterization of metabolic isozymes using high-resolution two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Plant Physiology 141: 32–46. , , , , , .
- 2005. A systematic proteomic study of seed filling in soybean. Establishment of high-resolution two-dimensional reference maps, expression profiles, and an interactive proteome database. Plant Physiology 137: 1397–1419. , , , .
- 2001. Expression of D-myo-inositol-3-phosphate synthase in soybean. Implications for phytic acid biosynthesis. Plant Physiology 125: 1941–1948. , , .
- 2003. Metabolism of sugars in the endosperm of developing seeds of oilseed rape. Plant Physiology 131: 228–236. , ,
- 2005. The inositol oxygenase gene family of Arabidopsis is involved in the biosynthesis of nucleotide sugar precursors for cell-wall matrix polysaccharides. Planta 221: 243–254. , , , , ,
- 2004. Functional reclassification of the putative cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase multigene family in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 10: 1455–1460. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Development of solid-phase extraction and methylation procedures to analyse free fatty acids in lipid-rich seeds. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 45: 250–257. , ,
- 1995. Degradation mechanisms of chlorogenic acids during roasting. Proceedings of the International Congress of ASIC 16: 192–198. , ,
- 2007. Chlorogenic acid synthesis in coffee: an analysis of CGA content and real-time RT-PCR expression of HCT, HQT, C3H1, and CCoAOMT1 genes during grain development in C. canephora. Plant Science 172: 978–996. , , , , ,
- 2005. Coffee and tomato share common gene repertoires as revealed by deep sequencing of seed and cherry transcripts. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 114–130. , , , , , .
- 2005. Biochemical and molecular characterization of alpha-D-galactosidase from coffee beans. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 43: 909–920. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Quantitative imaging of oil storage in developing crop seeds. Plant Biotechnology Journal 6: 31–45. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. The reb1– 1 mutation of Arabidopsis. Effect on the structure and localization of galactose-containing cell wall polysaccharides. Plant Physiology 140: 1406–1417. , , , , , ,
- 2001. Biochemistry and physiology of raffinose family oligosaccharides and galactosyl cyclitols in seeds. Seed Science Research 11: 185–197. ,
- 2005. Our everyday cup of coffee: the chemistry behind its magic. Journal of Chemical Education 82: 1161–1167.
- 1999. Characterization of a palmitoyl-acyl carrier protein thioesterase (FATb1) in cotton. Plant and Cell Physiology 40: 155–163. , , , , , .
- 2008. Differential regulation of grain sucrose accumulation and metabolism in Coffea arabica (Arabica) and Coffea canephora (Robusta) revealed through gene expression and enzyme activity analysis. New Phytologist 178: 781–797. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Genome-wide characterization of the lignification toolbox in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 133: 1051–1071. , , , ,
- 2003. Assumption-free analysis of quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) data. Neuroscience Letters 339: 62–66. , , , .
- 2002. Coffee bean arabinogalactans: acidic polymers covalently linked to protein. Carbohydrate Research 337: 239–253. , , , , .
- 2003. Changes to the galactose/mannose ratio in galactomannans during coffee bean (Coffea arabica L.) development: implications for in vivo modification of galactomannan synthesis. Planta 217: 316–326. , , , ,
- 2003. Tobacco transgenic lines that express fenugreek galactomannan galactosyltransferase constitutively have structurally altered galactomannans in their seed endosperm cell walls. Plant Physiology 131: 1487–1495. , , , , .
- 1999a. Biochemical and molecular characterization and expression of the 11S-type storage protein from Coffea arabica endosperm. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 37: 261–272. , , , , ,
- 1999b. Changes to the content of sugars, sugar alcohols, myo-inositol, carboxylic acids and inorganic anions in developing grains from different varieties of Robusta (Coffea canephora) and Arabica (C. arabica) coffees. Plant Science 149: 115–123. , , ,
- 2002. Contrapuntal networks of gene expression during Arabidopsis seed filling. Plant Cell 14: 1191–1206. , , , .
- 2008. Deciphering transcriptional networks that govern Coffea arabica seed development using combined cDNA array and real-time RT-PCR approaches. Plant Molecular Biology 66: 105–124. , , , , ,
- 1982. Changes in the amounts of chlorogenic and caffeic acids during tobacco seed maturation. Phytochemistry 21: 1947–1949. , ,
- 2008. Deciphering gene regulatory networks that control seed development and maturation in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 54: 608–620. , , , , ,
- 2005. A gene expression map of Arabidopsis thaliana development. Nature Genetics 37: 501–506. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix polysaccharide precursors in arabidopsis cell walls are synthesized by alternate pathways with organ-specific expression patterns. Plant Journal 21: 537–546. , , ,
- 2006. The lipid fraction of the coffee bean. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 201–216. ,
- 2007. Transcriptional profiling of the Arabidopsis embryo. Plant Physiology 143: 924–940. , ,
- 2000. Allocation of raffinose family oligosaccharides to transport and storage pools in Ajuga reptans: the roles of two distinct galactinol synthases. Plant Journal 21: 249–258. ,
- 2004. Transcript profiles and deduced changes of metabolic pathways in maternal and filial tissues of developing barley grains. Plant Journal 37: 539–553. , , , , ,
- 2006. Gene expression patterns reveal tissue-specific signaling networks controlling programmed cell death and ABA-regulated maturation in developing barley seeds. Plant Journal 47: 310–327. , , , , ,
- 2006. Functional identification of an Arabidopsis pectin biosynthetic homogalacturonan galacturonosyltransferase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 5236–5241. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Evidence that the hexose-to-sucrose ratio does not control the switch to storage product accumulation in oilseeds: analysis of tobacco seed development and effects of overexpressing apoplastic invertase. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2291–2303. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Sucrose transport into barley seeds: molecular characterization of two transporters and implications for seed development and starch accumulation. Plant Journal 21: 455–467. , , , , , ,
- 1999. Sugars as signal molecules in plant seed development. Biological Chemistry 380: 937–944. ,