DNA-based stable isotope probing enables the identification of active bacterial endophytes in potatoes
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2008
© The Authors (2008). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2008)
Volume 181, Issue 4, pages 802–807, March 2009
How to Cite
Rasche, F., Lueders, T., Schloter, M., Schaefer, S., Buegger, F., Gattinger, A., Hood-Nowotny, R. C. and Sessitsch, A. (2009), DNA-based stable isotope probing enables the identification of active bacterial endophytes in potatoes. New Phytologist, 181: 802–807. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02744.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2008
- Received: 15 October 2008, Accepted: 3 December 2008
- 2002. Diversity of endophytic bacterial populations and their interaction with Xylella fastidiosa in citrus plants. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 4906–4914. , , , , , .
- 2005. Endophytic and ectophytic potatoassociated bacterial communities differ in structure and antagonistic function against plant pathogenic fungi. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 51: 215–229. , , , , ,
- 2007. Stable isotope probing with 15N achieved by disentangling the effects of genome G+C content and isotope enrichment on DNA density. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73: 3189–3195. , , , .
- 1999. Soil type and maize cultivar affect the genetic diversity of maize root-associated Burkholderia cepacia populations. Microbial Ecology 38: 273–284.
- 1998. Stable isotope distribution in the major metabolites of source and sink organs of Solanum tuberosum L.: a powerful tool in the study of metabolic portioning in intact plants. Planta 207: 241–245. , , ,
- 1993. Phänologische Entwicklungsstadien der Kartoffel (Solanum tuberosum L.). Nachrichtenblatt Deutscher Pflanzenschutzdienst 45: 11–19. , , , , , ,
- 1999. Bacterial phyllosphere communities of Solanum tuberosum L. and T4-lysozyme-producing transgenic variants. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 28: 357–371. ,
- 2004. Bacterial communities associated with flowering plants of the Ni hyperaccumulator Thlaspi goesingense. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 2667–2677. , , , ,
- 2000. Plant species and plant incubation conditions influence variability in epiphytic bacterial population size. Microbial Ecology 39: 1–11. , , .
- 2007. The use of stable isotope probing to identify key iron-reducing microorganisms involved in anaerobic benzene degradation. ISME Journal 1: 643–653. , , .
- 1991. 16S/23S rRNA sequencing. In: Stackebrandt E, Goodfellow M, eds. Nucleic acid techniques in bacterial systematics. Chichester, UK: John Wiley, 115–175. .
- 1985. Rapid determination of 16S ribosomal RNA sequences for phylogenetic analyses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 82: 6955–6959. , , , , , .
- 2005. Detecting active methanogenic populations on rice roots using stable isotope probing. Environmental Microbiology 7: 326–336. , , ,
- 2004. Enhanced sensitivity of DNA- and rRNA-based stable isotope probing by fractionation and quantitative analysis of isopycnic centrifugation gradients. Environmental Microbiology 6: 73–78. , , .
- 2002. RNA stable isotope probing, a novel means of linking microbial community function to phylogeny. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 5367–5373. , , , .
- 2001. DNA extraction from soils: old bias for new microbial diversity analysis methods. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 2354–2359. , , , , , ,
- 1995. Phylogenetic relationships of Thiomicrospira species and their identification in deep-sea hydrothermal vent samples by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis of 16S rDNA fragments. Archives in Microbiology 164: 165–172. , , , .
- 2007. DNA stable-isotope probing. Nature Protocols 2: 860–866. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Stable-isotope probing as a tool in microbial ecology. Nature 403: 646–649. , , , .
- 2005. Stable isotope probing analysis of the influence of liming on root exudate utilization by soil microorganisms. Environmental Microbiology 7: 828–838. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Structural characteristics and plant-beneficial effects of bacteria colonizing the shoots of field grown conventional and genetically modified T4-lysozyme producing potatoes. Plant and Soil 289: 123–140. , , , , , ,
- 2006a. Impact of transgenic potatoes expressing antibacterial agents on bacterial endophytes is comparable to the effects of plant genotype, soil type and pathogen infection. Journal of Applied Ecology 43: 555–566. , , , , ,
- 2002. Cultivation-independent population analysis of bacterial endophytes in three potato varieties based on eubacterial and Actinomycetes-specific PCR of 16S rRNA genes. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 39: 23–32. , , ,
- 1995. The role of endophytic bacteria during seed piece decay and potato tuberization. Plant and Soil 175: 257–263. .
- 1999. Endophytic bacterial communities in the periderm of potato tubers and their potential to improve resistance to soil-borne pathogens. Plant Pathology 48: 360–369. , , , , .
- 2000. Bacterial endophytes: potential role in developing sustainable systems of crop production. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 19: 1–30. , ,
- 2008. Effects of plant genotype and growth stage on the structure of bacterial communities associated with potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Plant and Soil 64: 283–296. , .
- 2007. Active root-inhabiting microbes identified by rapid incorporation of plant-derived carbon into RNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 16970–16975. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. 16S ribosomal DNA amplification for phylogenetic study. Journal of Bacteriology 173: 697–703. , , , .
- 1995. Endophyte: the evolution of a term, and clarification of its use and definition. Oikos 73: 274–276.
- 2002. Isolation and characterization of endophytic colonizing bacteria from agronomic crops and prairie plants. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 2198–2208. , , , , , , , , , .