Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotope composition on a diurnal timescale?
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 182, Issue 2, pages 451–460, April 2009
How to Cite
Bahn, M., Schmitt, M., Siegwolf, R., Richter, A. and Brüggemann, N. (2009), Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotope composition on a diurnal timescale?. New Phytologist, 182: 451–460. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02755.x
- Issue online: 27 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2009
- Received: 3 October 2008Accepted: 11 December 2008
- 2006. Root respiration in temperate mountain grasslands differing in land use. Global Change Biology 12: 995–1006. , , , ,
- 2009. Synthesis: emerging issues and challenges for an integrated understanding of soil carbon dynamics. In: Kutsch W, Bahn M, Heinemeyer A, eds. Soil carbon dynamics. An integrated methodology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, in press. , ,
- 2008. Soil respiration in european grasslands in relation to climate and assimilate supply. Ecosystems 11: 1352–1367. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. No diurnal variation in rate or carbon isotope composition of soil respiration in a boreal forest. Tree Physiology 27: 749–756. , , , , ,
- 1998. Roots exert a strong influence on the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration. Nature 396: 570–572. , , , .
- 2002. 13C content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , ,
- 2008. Carbon isotopes in terrestrial ecosystem pools and CO2 fluxes. New Phytologist 178: 24–40. , , .
- 2003. Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy for stable isotope studies of ecosystem–atmosphere CO2 exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 118: 1–19. , , ,
- 1988. Correlation between the carbon isotope discrimination in leaf starch and sugars of C3 plants and the ratio of intercellular and atmospheric partial pressures of carbon dioxide. Plant Physiology 88: 1418–1424. , , , , .
- 2007. Contributions to accelerating atmospheric CO2 growth from economic activity, carbon intensity, and efficiency of natural sinks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 18866–18870. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 176: 124–135. , .
- 1991. On the isotopic composition of carbon in soil carbon dioxide. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 55: 3403–3405. , , , .
- 1999. Predominance of ecophysiological controls on soil CO2 flux in a Minnesota grassland. Plant and Soil 207: 77–86. , , .
- 2006. On the variability of respiration in terrestrial ecosystems: moving beyond Q10. Global Change Biology 12: 154–164. , ,
- 2002. Minimizing artifacts and biases in chamber-based measurements of soil respiration. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 21–37. , , ,
- 2005. Forest soil respiration rate and δ13C is regulated by recent above ground weather conditions. Oecologia 143: 136–142. , ,
- 2001. Natural abundance of 13C in CO2 respired from forest soils reveals speed of link between tree photosynthesis and root respiration Oecologia 127: 305–308. ,
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 2007. Δ13C of organic matter transported from the leaves to the roots in Eucalyptus delegatensis: short-term variations and relation to respired CO2. Functional Plant Biology 34: 692–706. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Short-term changes in carbon isotope composition of soluble carbohydrates and starch: from canopy leaves to the root system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20: 653–660. , , , ,
- 2008. Measurement depth effects on the apparent temperature sensitivity of soil respiration in field studies. Biogeosciences 5: 1175–1188. , , , , ,
- 2006. Respiration of the external mycelium in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis shows strong dependence on recent photosynthates and acclimation to temperature. New Phytologist 171: 159–170. , , , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Towards a more plant physiological perspective on soil ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 548–554. , .
- 2005. Large daily variation in 13C-enrichment of leaf-respired co2 in two Quercus forest canopies. New Phytologist 167: 377–384. , , ,
- 2002. In situ 13CO2 pulse-labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to the soil. NewPhytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 2005. Short-term variations in δ13C of ecosystem respiration reveals link between assimilation and respiration in a deciduous forest. Oecologia 142: 70–82. , , ,
- 2008. Temporal dynamics of the carbon isotope composition in a Pinus sylvestris stand: from newly assimilated organic carbon to respired carbon dioxide. Oecologia 156: 737–750. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Temperature-independent diel variation in soil respiration observed from a temperate deciduous forest. Global Change Biology 12: 2136–2145. , , , , ,
- 1999. The effects of chamber pressurization on soil-surface CO2 flux and the implications for NEE measurements under elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 5: 269–281. , , , .
- 2000. Predicting the gas diffusion coefficient in undisturbed soil from soil water characteristics. Soil Science Society of America Journal 64: 94–100. , , , , .
- 2005. Temporal variability in 13C of respired CO2 in a pine and a hardwood forest subject to similar climatic conditions. Oecologia 142: 57–69. , , , , ,
- 2007. Response of mycorrhizal, rhizosphere and soil basal respiration to temperature and photosynthesis in a barley field. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39: 843–853. , ,
- 2000. Carbon assimilation and turnover in grassland vegetation using an in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 14: 1345–1350. , , ,
- 2007. Dependence of the Q10 values on the depth of the soil temperature measuring point. Plant and Soil 292: 171–179. , , , ,
- 2002. Interannual variability in global soil respiration, 1980–94. Global Change Biology 8: 800–812. , ,
- 2005. Does the temperature sensitivity of decomposition of soil organic matter depend upon water content, soil horizon, or incubation time? Global Change Biology 11: 1–14. , , , .
- 2004. Carbon fluxes to the soil in a mature temperate forest assessed by 13C isotope tracing. Oecologia 141: 489–501. , , ,
- 2005. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , ,
- 2004. Theoretical considerations about carbon isotope distribution in glucose of C3 plants. Functional Plant Biology 31: 857–877. , , ,
- 2006. Carbon respired by terrestrial ecosystems – recent progress and challenges. Global Change Biology 12: 141–153.
- 2008. Environmental controls and the influence of vegetation type, fine roots and rhizomorphs on diel and seasonal variation in soil respiration. New Phytologist 179: 460–471. , .
- 2003. Substrate regulation of soil respiration in a tallgrass prairie: results of a clipping and shading experiment. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1–12. ,
- 2007. Evaluating high time-resolved changes in carbon isotope ratio of respired CO2 by a rapid in-tube incubation technique. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 21: 1352–1360. , , , ,
- 2007. Variations in 13C discrimination during CO2 exchange by Picea sitchensis branches in the field. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 600–616. , , , ,
- 2006. On maintaining pressure equilibrium between a soil CO2 flux chamber and the ambient air. Journal of Geophysical Research 111 (D08S10): doi: 10.1029/2005JD006435. , , , , , .