Long bugs to short plants – the Lon protease in protein stability and thermotolerance
Version of Record online: 15 JAN 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 181, Issue 3, pages 505–508, February 2009
How to Cite
Taylor, N. L. and Millar, A. H. (2009), Long bugs to short plants – the Lon protease in protein stability and thermotolerance. New Phytologist, 181: 505–508. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02731.x
- Issue online: 15 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 15 JAN 2009
- 2001. Chloroplast and mitochondrial proteases in Arabidopsis. A proposed nomenclature. Plant Physiology 125: 1912–1918. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1998. Maize contains a Lon protease gene that can partially complement a yeast pim1-deletion mutant. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 141–154. , , , .
- 2002. Lon protease preferentially degrades oxidized mitochondrial aconitase by an ATP-stimulated mechanism. Nature Cell Biology 4: 674–680. , .
- 2004a. Crystal structure of the AAA+ alpha domain of E. coli Lon protease at 1.9A resolution. Journal of Structural Biology 146: 113–122. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004b. The catalytic domain of Escherichia coli Lon protease has a unique fold and a Ser-Lys dyad in the active site. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 8140–8148. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1981. The product of the lon (capR) gene in Escherichia coli is the ATP-dependent protease, protease La. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 78: 4931–4935. , .
- 1968. Genetic analysis of lon mutants of strain K-12 of Escherichia coli. Molecular & General Genetics 103: 105–115. , .
- 1998. The ATP-dependent PIM1 protease is required for the expression of intron-containing genes in mitochondria. Genes & Development 12: 1515–1524. , , .
- 2007. SUBA: the Arabidopsis Subcellular Database. Nucleic Acids Research 35: D213–218. , , , , .
- 2006. Ordered assembly of mitochondria during rice germination begins with pro-mitochondrial structures rich in components of the protein import apparatus. Molecular Biology 60: 201–223. , , .
- 2005. Crystal structure of the N-terminal domain of E. coli Lon protease. Protein Science 14: 2895–2900. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mitochondrial biogenesis during germination in maize embryos. Plant Physiology 125: 662–672. , , , , .
- 1999. AAA+: a class of chaperone-like ATPases associated with the assembly, operation, and disassembly of protein complexes. Genome Research 9: 27–43. , , , .
- 2007. Importance of the lon protease in mitochondrial maintenance and the significance of declining lon in aging. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1119: 78–87. , .
- 1996. Promotion of mitochondrial membrane complex assembly by a proteolytically inactive yeast Lon. Science 274: 103–106. , , , , , .
- 2008. Role of Lon1 protease in post-germinative growth and maintenance of mitochondrial function in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 181: 588–600. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A cytoplasmic male sterility-associated mitochondrial peptide in common bean is post-translationally regulated. Plant Cell 10: 1217–1228. , , , .
- 2004. Expression in multigene families. Analysis of chloroplast and mitochondrial proteases. Plant Physiology 135: 1336–1345. , , , , , .
- 1994. PIM1 encodes a mitochondrial ATP-dependent protease that is required for mitochondrial function in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 269: 238–242. , , .