Water sources and controls on water-loss rates of epigeous ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarps during summer drought
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2009
No claim to original US government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 182, Issue 2, pages 483–494, April 2009
How to Cite
Lilleskov, E. A., Bruns, T. D., Dawson, T. E. and Camacho, F. J. (2009), Water sources and controls on water-loss rates of epigeous ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarps during summer drought. New Phytologist, 182: 483–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02775.x
- Issue published online: 27 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2009
- Received: 23 October 2008Accepted: 19 December 2008
- 2001. Exploration types of ectomycorrhizae – A proposal to classify ectomycorrhizal mycelial systems according to their patterns of differentiation and putative ecological importance. Mycorrhiza 11: 107–114. .
- 1986. Mushrooms demystified. Berkeley, CA, USA: Ten Speed Press. .
- 1985. The influence of humidity upon transpiration and growth in Psilocybe cubensis. Mycologia 77: 932–939. .
- 1987. CRC standard mathematical tables, 28th edn. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. .
- 2002. Hydraulic redistribution of soil water during summer drought in two contrasting Pacific Northwest coniferous forests. Tree Physiology 22: 1107–1117. , , ,
- 1992. Translocation of solutes in ectomycorrhizal and saprotrophic rhizomorphs. Mycological Research 96: 135–141. .
- 2005. Basidiomycete mycelia in forest soils: dimensions, dynamics and roles in nutrient distribution. Mycological Research 109: 7–20. .
- 1998. Hydraulic lift: consequences of water efflux from the roots of plants. Oecologia 113: 151–161. , , .
- 1995. Ectomycorrhizae formed in-vitro by quaking aspen – including Inocybe lacera and Amanita pantherina. Mycorrhiza 5: 357–370. , .
- 1993. Hydraulic lift and water use by plants: implications for water balance, performance and plant–plant interactions. Oecologia 95: 565–574. .
- 1998. Plants, Isotopes and Water Use: a Catchment-Scale Perspective. In: KendallK, McDonnellJ, eds. Isotope Tracers in Catchment Hydrology. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science B.V., 839. , .
- 2002. Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics. 33: 507–559. doi:10.1146/annurev.ecolsys.33.020602.095451 , , , , .
- 2007. Common mycorrhizal networks provide a potential pathway for the transfer of hydraulically lifted water between plants. J Exp Bot. 58: 1473–1483. , , .
- 1986. Comparative water use and nitrogen relationships in a mistletoe and its host. Oecologia 68: 279–284. , , .
- 1992. Water uptake by plants: perspectives from stable isotope composition. Plant, Cell and Environment 15: 1073–1082. , .
- 2000. Assessing ecosystem-level water relations through stable isotope ratio analyses. In: SalaO, JacksonRB, MooneyHA, HowarthRW, eds. Methods in ecosystemscience. New York: Springer Verlag, 181–198. , , .
- 2004. Species-specific patterns of hydraulic lift in co-occurring adult trees and grasses in a sandhill community. Oecologia 138: 341–349. , , .
- 1993. Carbon and oxygen isotope effects in the exchange of carbon dioxide between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere. In: EhleringerJR, HallAE, FarquharGD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon–water relations. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 47–70. ,
- 1998. Stable isotopes, the hydrologic cycle and the terrestrial biosphere. In: GriffithsH, ed. Stable isotopes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 397–407. .
- 1998. Ectomycorrhizal fungi with edible fruiting bodies – 2. Boletus edulis. Economic Botany 52: 44–56. , , ,
- 1997. Evolution of gilled mushrooms and puffballs inferred from ribosomal DNA sequences. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 12002–12006. , , , , .
- 2005. Release and dispersal of basidiospores from Amanita muscaria var. alba and their infiltration into a residence. Mycological Research 109: 1235–1242. .
- 1992. Evolution of Flammulina velutipes basidiocarp size with respect to relative-humidity. Mycologia 84: 219–228. .
- 1993. Anatomical studies on ectomycorrhizas 2. The ectomycorrhizas produced by Amanita muscaria, Laccaria laccata and Suillus brevipes on Pinus patula. Mycorrhiza 3: 43–49. , ,
- 1997. Phylogenetic relationships among ascomycetous truffles and the true and false morels inferred from 18S and 28S ribosomal DNA sequence analysis. Mycologia 89: 48–65. , , , .
- 2000. Molecular and anatomical evidence for a three-way association between Pinus sylvestris and the ectomycorrhizal fungi Suillus bovinus and Gomphidius roseus. Mycological Research 104: 1372–1378. , , ,
- PearcyRW, EhleringerJR, MooneyHA, RundelPW, eds. 1989a. Plant physiological ecology. London, UK: Chapman & Hall.
- 1989b. Measurement of transpiration and leaf conductance. In: PearcyRW, EhleringerJR, MooneyHA, RundelPW, eds. Plant physiological ecology. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 137–160. , ,
- 2003. Deuterium labelling of roots provides evidence of deep water access and hydraulic lift by Pinus nigra in a Mediterranean forest of NE Spain. Environmental and Experimental Botany 49: 201–208. ,
- 2003. Source partitioning using stable isotopes: coping with too many sources. Oecologia 136: 261–269. , .
- 2005. Combining sources in stable isotope mixing models: alternative methods. Oecologia 144: 520–527. , , .
- 1956. The influence of factors of the aeration complex and light upon fruit-body form in pure cultures of an agaric and a polypore. Annals of Botany 20: 563–586. .
- 2003. Direct nocturnal water transfer from oaks to their mycorrhizal symbionts during severe soil drying. Oecologia Berlin 134: 55–64. , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 2nd edn. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2008. Hydraulic redistribution of water from Pinus ponderosa trees to seedlings: evidence for an ectomycorrhizal pathway. New Phytologist 178: 382–394. , , , .
- 2007. Hydraulic redistribution of soil water in two old-growth coniferous forests: quantifying patterns and controls. New Phytologist 173: 753–765. , , , ,
- 2001. Cultivation of mushrooms of edible ectomycorrhizal fungi associated with Pinus densiflora by in vitro mycorrhizal synthesis II. Morphology of mycorrhizas in open-pot soil. Mycorrhiza 11: 67–81. , ,
- 2004. Edible ectomycorrhizal mushrooms: challenges and achievements. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 1063–1073. , .