Increased proline loading to phloem and its effects on nitrogen uptake and assimilation in water-stressed white clover (Trifolium repens)
Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 182, Issue 3, pages 654–663, May 2009
How to Cite
Lee, B.-R., Jin, Y. L., Avice, J.-C., Cliquet, J.-B., Ourry, A. and Kim, T.-H. (2009), Increased proline loading to phloem and its effects on nitrogen uptake and assimilation in water-stressed white clover (Trifolium repens). New Phytologist, 182: 654–663. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02795.x
- Issue online: 16 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2009
- Received: 1 December 2008Accepted: 16 January 2009
- 2004. Putative role of L-aminobutyric acid (GABA) as a long distance signal in up-regulation of nitrate uptake in Brassica napus L. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1035–1045. , , , , ,
- 1989. Drought effects on water relations of three cultivated grasses. Crop Science 29: 992–999. , .
- 2003. GABA signaling: a conserved and ubiquitous mechanism. Trends in Cell Biology 13: 607–610. , ,
- 1999. S-Methylmethionine plays a major role in phloem sulfur transport and is synthesized by a novel type of methyltransferase. Plant Cell 11: 1485–1497. , , .
- 1999. Glutamine synthetase in the phloem plays a major role in controlling proline production. Plant Cell 11: 1995–2011. , , , , , ,
- 1997. Export of amino acid to the phloem in relation to N supply in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) plants. Physiologia Plantarum 101: 853–860. , .
- 1999. Physiological function of water channels as affected by salinity in roots of paprika pepper. Physiologia Plantarum 105: 95–101. , , .
- 1994. Responses of soybean to ammonium and nitrate supplied in combination to the whole root system or separately in a split-root system. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 259–268. , , , .
- 1989. Cycling of amino-nitrogen and other nutrients between shoots and roots in cereals. A possible mechanism integrating shoot and root in the regulation of nutrient uptake. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 753–762. , .
- 2000. Differences in growth and water relations among Phaseolus vulgaris cultivars in response to induced drought stress. Environmental and Experimental Botany 43: 227–237. , , , , ,
- 2007. Nitrogen uptake and metabolism in Populus × canescens as affected by salinity. New Phytologist 173: 279–293. , , , , ,
- 1998. Drought-induced effects on nitrate reductase activity and mRNA and on the coordination of nitrogen and carbon metabolism in maize leaves. Plant Physiology 117: 283–292. , , , .
- 1996. Water deficit-induced changes in concentration in proline and some other amino acids in the phloem sap of alfalfa. Plant Physiology 111: 109–113. , , .
- 2004. De novo protein synthesis in relation to ammonia and proline accumulation in water stressed white clover. Functional Plant Biology 31: 847–855. , , , , ,
- 1991. Changes in source-sink relationship for nitrogen during regrowth of Lucerne (Medicago sativa L.) following removal of shoots. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 593–602. , , ,
- 1988. Characteristics of injury and recovery of net transport of barley seedlings from treatments of NaCl. Plant Physiology 87: 878–882. , , .
- 1999. Relationship between relative water content, nitrogen pools and growth of Phaseolus vulgaris L. and P. acutifolius A. Gray during water deficit. Crop Science 39: 467–475. , .
- 2005. Transient increase of de novo amino acid synthesis and its physiological significance in water-stressed white clover. Functional Plant Biology 32: 831–838. , , , , , .
- 1992. Nitrogen assimilation and the control of ammonium and nitrate absorption by maize roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1385–1396. , , , .
- 1990. Stress alters ammonia and arginine metabolism. In: FloresHE, ArtecaRN, ShannonJC, eds. Polyamines and ethylene: biochemistry, physiology and interaction. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists, 166–179. .
- 1992. Inhibition of NO3-uptake by various phloem-translocated amino acids in soybean seedling. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 617–623. ,
- 1966. Transport of amino acids to the maize root. Plant Physiology 41: 173–180.
- 1994. Amino acid metabolism associated with N-mobilization from the flag leaf of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) during grain development. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 131–141. , .
- 1985. Alterations in the physical properties and thermal response of membrane lipids: correlations with acclimation to chilling and high temperature. In: JoneJB, BerlinJ, JacksonPC, eds. Frontiers of membrane research in agriculture. Ottawa, Canada: Rowman and Allanheld, 383–401. .
- 1989. Pyrroline-5-carboxylate reductase is in Pea (Pisum sativum L.) leaf chloroplasts. Plant Physiology 91: 581–586. , ,
- 1995. Proline accumulation during drought and salinity. In: SmirnoffN, ed. Environment and plant metabolism: flexibility and acclimation. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 161–187. , , , , ,
- 1978. Unusual solution properties of proline and its interaction with proteins. Biochimica and Biophysica Acta 541: 270–277. ,
- 1989. Studies of the regulation of nitrate influx by barley seedlings using . Plant Physiology 90: 806–813. , , ,
- 2000. Role of proline and leaf expansion rate in the recovery of stressed white clover leaves with increased phosphorus concentration. New Phytologist 146: 261–269. , , ,
- 1989. Hydroxyl radical scavenging activity of compatible solutes. Phytochemistry 28: 1057–1060. , .
- 1996. The fate of osmo-accumulated proline in leaf discs of rape (Brassica napus L.) incubated in a medium of low osmolarity. Plant Science 118: 31–35. , , ,
- 2007. Salt stress enhances proline utilization in the apical region of barley roots. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 355: 61–66. , ,
- 1989. Organic acids as sources of drought induced proline synthesis in field bean plants, Vicia faba L. Journal of Plant Physiology 133: 654–659. , , .
- 1999. Proline accumulation in maize (Zea mays L.) primary roots at low water potentials. II. Metabolic source of increased proline deposition in the elongation zone. Plant Physiology 119: 1349–1360. , .
- 2000. Regulation of high-affinity nitrate transporter genes and high-affinity nitrate in flux by nitrogen pools in roots of barley. Plant Physiology 123: 307–318. , , , , , .
- 1982. Living with water stress: evolution of osmolyte systems. Science 217: 1214–1222. , , , , .