Durability of plant major resistance genes to pathogens depends on the genetic background, experimental evidence and consequences for breeding strategies
Article first published online: 1 APR 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 183, Issue 1, pages 190–199, July 2009
How to Cite
Palloix, A., Ayme, V. and Moury, B. (2009), Durability of plant major resistance genes to pathogens depends on the genetic background, experimental evidence and consequences for breeding strategies. New Phytologist, 183: 190–199. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02827.x
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 1 APR 2009
- Received: 22 January 2009Accepted: 15 February 2009
- 2007. Molecular dissection of the Potato virus Y VPg virulence gene reveals complex adaptations to the pvr2 resistance allelic series in pepper. Journal of General Virology 88: 1594–1601. , , , , .
- 2006. Different mutations in the genome linked protein VPg of Potato Virus Y confer virulence on the pvr23resistance in pepper. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interaction 19 : 557–563. , , , , , ,
- 1997. Polygenic resistance of pepper to potyviruses consists of a combination of isolate-specific and broad spectrum quantitative trait loci. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interaction 10:872–878. , ,
- 2008. Natural variation and functional analyses provide evidence for coevolution between plant eIF4E and potyviral VPg. Plant Journal 54: 56–68. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Comparative analysis of genomic locations and race specificities of loci for quantitative resistance to Pyricularia grisea in rice and barley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 2544–2549. , , , , ,
- 1996. Genetic analysis of broad spectrum resistance to potyviruses in haplodiploid progenies of pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Euphytica 88: 231–239. , , , , ,
- 2000. Cereal variety and species mixtures in practice, with emphasis on disease resistance. Agronomie 20: 813–837. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Variability and genetics structure of plant virus populations. Annual Review of Phytopathology 39: 157–186. , , .
- 2003. An analysis of the durability of resistance to plant-viruses. Phytopathology 93: 941–952. ,
- 2002. Virus variation in relation to resistance breaking in plants. Euphytica 124 : 181–192. .
- 1997. Marker-assisted introgression of quantitative trait loci. Genetics 147: 1469–1485. ,
- 1982. Genetics and epidemiological breakdown of plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 20: 93–117.
- 2007 [Correction added on 14 May 2009, after first online publication: the citation year for ‘Le Guen et al.’ was changed from ‘2006’ to ‘2007’]. Bypassing of a polygenic Microcyclus ulei resistance in rubber tree, analysed by QTL detection. New Phytologist 173: 335–345. , , , , ,
- 2001. Pathogen fitness penalty as a predictor of durability of disease resistance genes. Annual Review of Phytopathology 39: 187–224. , , ,
- 1995. Tools for marking plant disease and pest resistance genes: a review. Agronomie 15: 3–19. , .
- 2002. Towards the saturation of the pepper linkage map by alignment of three intraspecific maps including known-function genes. Genome 45: 839–854. , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Evaluation and inheritance of the Lycopersicum hirsutum resistance against Potato virus Y. Euphytica 86: 219–226. , , , , , ,
- 2002. The perspectives of polygenic resistance in breeding for durable disease resistance. Euphytica 124: 217–226.
- 2002. Pathogen population genetics, evolutionary potential and durable resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 349–379. ,
- 1995. Molecular approaches to manipulation of disease resistance genes. Annual Review of Phytopathology 15: 393–427. .
- 2004. Mutations in Potato virus Y genome-linked protein determine virulence toward recessive resistances in Capsicum annuum and Lycopersicum hirsutum. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interaction 17: 322–329. , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Durability of resistance against fungal, bacterial and viral pathogens; present situation. Euphytica 124: 147–156. .
- 2002. Strategies using genes for nondurable disease resistance. Euphytica 124: 227–236. .
- 2008. Functional markers for selection of potyvirus resistance alleles at the pvr2–eIF4E locus in pepper using tetra-primer arms PCR. Genome 51: 767–771. , ,
- 2002. A natural recessive resistance gene against potato virus Y in pepper corresponds to the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E). The Plant Journal 32: 1067–1075. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Structuring genetic diversity in pepper genetic resources: distribution of horticultural and resistance traits in the INRA pepper germplasm. In: Niemirowicz-SzczyttK, ed. Progress in research on capsicum and eggplant. Warsaw, Poland: Warsaw University of Life Sciences Press, 33–42. , , , , ,
- 2004. Dissection of quantitative and durable leaf rust resistance in Swiss winter wheat reveals a major resistance QTL in the Lr34 chromosomal region. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 477–784. , , , , , ,
- 1993. Durable resistance of potatoes against Phytophthora infestans. In: JacobsT, ParlevlietJE, eds. Durability of disease resistance. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Academic Publishers, 115–124. .
- 2000. Predicting durability of a disease resistance gene based on an assessment of the fitness loss and epidemiological consequences of avirulence gene mutation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 13500–13505. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Adaptation to the cost of resistance: a model of compensation, recombination and selection in a haploid organism. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 272: 85–89. , , , .
- 1996. QTL mapping and quantitative disease resistance in plants. Annual Review of Phytopathology 34: 479–501. .