A cyclic nucleotide-gated channel is necessary for optimum fertility in high-calcium environments
Article first published online: 7 APR 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 183, Issue 1, pages 76–87, July 2009
How to Cite
Chaiwongsar, S., Strohm, A. K., Roe, J. R., Godiwalla, R. Y. and Chan, C. W. M. (2009), A cyclic nucleotide-gated channel is necessary for optimum fertility in high-calcium environments. New Phytologist, 183: 76–87. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02833.x
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 7 APR 2009
- Received: 19 September 2008Accepted: 15 February 2009
- 1969. Differential staining of aborted and nonaborted pollen. Stain Technology 44: 117–122. .
- 2007. Death don't have no mercy and neither does calcium: Arabidopsis CYCLIC NUCLEOTIDE GATED CHANNEL2 and innate immunity. Plant Cell 19: 1081–1095. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Phosphorylation of plant actin-depolymerising factor by calmodulin-like domain protein kinase. FEBS Letters 499: 97–100. , , .
- 2003. HLM1, an essential signaling component in the hypersensitive response, is a member of the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel ion channel family. Plant Cell 15: 365–379. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Integrating membrane transport with male gametophyte development and function through transcriptomics. Plant Physiology 140: 1151–1168. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. The cyclic nucleotide-gated calmodulin-binding channel AtCNGC10 localizes to the plasma membrane and influences numerous growth responses and starch accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 255: 563–573. , , , , .
- 2003. A cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel, CNGC2, is crucial for plant development and adaptation to calcium stress. Plant Physiology 132: 728–731. , , , , .
- 2008. Transcriptional changes in response to growth of Arabidopsis in high external calcium. FEBS Letters 582: 967–976. , , , .
- 2001. Pollen tube guidance – right on target. Science 293: 1441–1442. ,
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis dnd1 ‘defense, no death’ gene encodes a mutated cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 9323–9328. , , , , , .
- 2004. Pollen and stigma structure and function: the role of diversity in pollination. Plant Cell 16: S84–S97. , ,
- 1972. Mineral nutrition of plants: principles and perspectives. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons.
- 2007. A cyclic nucleotide-gated channel is essential for polarized tip growth of pollen. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 14 531–14 536. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis thaliana cyclic nucleotide gated channel 3 forms a nonselective ion transporter involved in germination and cation transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 791–800. , , , , .
- 2005. Short review: the mechanisms of radiocaesium uptake by Arabidopsis roots. Nukleonika 50: S3–S8. , , .
- 2003. Comparative analysis of the Arabidopsis pollen transcriptome. Plant Physiology 132: 640–652. ,
- 2004. Transcriptome analysis of haploid male gametophyte development in Arabidopsis. Genome Biology 5: R85. ,
- 2004. Ca2+ dynamics in a pollen grain and papilla cell during pollination of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 136: 3562–3571. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in plants. FEBS Letters 581: 2237–2246. , ,
- 2002. Cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels. Physiology Review 82: 769–824. ,
- 1999. T-DNA as an insertional mutagen in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 11: 2283–2290. , , .
- 2002. Electrophysiological analysis of cloned cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels. Plant Physiology 128: 400–410. , , , , .
- 1999. Cloning and first functional characterization of a plant cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel. Plant Physiology 121: 753–761. , , , .
- 2003. Adhesion and guidance in compatible pollination. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 47–54. .
- 2006. Characterization of plant phenotypes associated with loss-of-function of AtCNGC1, a plant cyclic nucleotide gated cation channel. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 44: 494–505. , , .
- 2001. cAMP acts as a second messenger in pollen tube growth and reorientation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 10 481–10 486. , , ,
- 2006. Distinct short-range ovule signals attract or repel Arabidopsis thaliana pollen tubes in vitro. BMC Plant Biology 6: 7. ,
- 2006. Measuring calcium signaling using genetically targetable fluorescent indicators. Nature Protocols 1: 1057–1065. , .
- 2004. Calmodulin activity and cAMP signaling modulate growth and apical secretion in pollen tubes. Plant Journal 38: 887–897. , , ,
- 2006. Barley necrotic locus nec1 encodes the cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel 4 homologous to the Arabidopsis HLM1. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 275: 159–168. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Expression of a truncated tobacco NtCBP4 channel in transgenic plants and disruption of the homologous Arabidopsis CNGC1 gene confer Pb2+ tolerance. Plant Journal 24: 533–542. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. CNGCs: prime targets of plant cyclic nucleotide signaling? Trends in Plant Science 8: 286–293. , , ,
- 2001. Chloride in soils and its uptake and movement within the plant: a review. Annals of Botany 88: 967–988. , .
- 2001. Isochorismate synthase is required to synthesize salicylic acid for plant defense. Nature 414: 562–565. , , , .
- 2007. An ‘electronic fluorescent pictograph’ browser for exploring and analyzing large-scale biological data sets. PLoS ONE 2: e718. , , , , , .
- 1998. Gene-for-gene disease resistance without the hypersensitive response in Arabidopsis dnd1 mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 7819–7824. , , .