These authors contributed equally to this work.
The adaptive significance of ontogenetic changes in physiology: a test in Avena barbata
Article first published online: 26 APR 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Plant adaptation - following in Darwin's footsteps
Volume 183, Issue 3, pages 908–918, August 2009
How to Cite
Maherali, H., Caruso, C. M. and Sherrard, M. E. (2009), The adaptive significance of ontogenetic changes in physiology: a test in Avena barbata. New Phytologist, 183: 908–918. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02845.x
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 26 APR 2009
- Received: 10 December 2008Accepted: 27 February 2009
- 1967. Heteroblastic development in vascular plants. In: AbercrombieM, BrachetJ, eds. Advances in morphogenesis. New York, USA: Academic Press, 127–171.
- 1997. Natural hybridization and evolution. New York, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection – theory. Evolution 38: 709–719. , .
- 2001. Pattern and process: evidence for the evolution of photosynthetic traits in natural populations. Oecologia 127: 455–467. , .
- 2000. From fluorescence to fitness: variation in photosynthetic rate affects fecundity and survivorship. Ecology 81: 2567–2576. , ,
- 1948. Studies in the morphogenesis of leaves I. An essay on leaf shape. New Phytologist 47: 152–176.
- 1980. Photosynthesis in the leaves of juvenile and adult ivy (Hedera helix). Physiologia Plantarum 49: 366–372. ,
- 1999. Dynamic phenotypic plasticity for root growth in Polygonum: a comparative study. American Journal of Botany 86: 807–819. , .
- 2000. Age-related changes in photosynthesis of woody plants. Trends in Plant Science 5: 349–353. .
- 1998. Increased photosynthesis offsets costs of allocation to sapwood in an arid environment. Ecology 79: 2281–2291. , , .
- 2006. Plasticity of physiological traits in Lobelia: testing for adaptation and constraint. Evolution 60: 980–990. , , .
- 2000. Changes in drought response strategies with ontogeny in Quercus rubra: implications for scaling from seedlings to mature trees. Oecologia 124: 8–18. , .
- 2007. Phenotypic selection on leaf WUE and related ecophysiological traits for natural populations of desert sunflowers. Oecologia 152: 13–25. , , ,
- 1991. Ecophysiological differences among juvenile and reproductive classes of several woody species. Oecologia 86: 594–597. , .
- 1996a. Differing selection on plant physiological traits in response to environmental water availability: a test of adaptive hypotheses. Evolution 50: 92–102. .
- 1996b. The response to differing selection on plant physiological traits: evidence for local adaptation. Evolution 50: 103–110. .
- 1992. Leaf mass per area, nitrogen content and photosynthetic carbon gain in Acer saccharum seedlings in contrasting forest light environments. Functional Ecology 6: 423–435. , .
- 1991. Leaf physiological aspects of nitrogen-use efficiency in Brassica campestris L.: quantitative genetic variation across nutrient treatments. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 81: 64–70. .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. New York, NY, USA: Longman. , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis–nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishT, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 25–49. , .
- 1989. Allelic and genotypic composition of ancestral Spanish and colonial Californian gene pools of Avena barbata: evolutionary implications. Genetics 122: 687–694. , , , .
- 2006. Identifying the targets of selection across contrasting environments in Avena barbata using quantitative trait locus mapping. Molecular Ecology 15: 1321–1333. , .
- 2008. Heritable variation and genetic correlation of quantitative traits within and between ecotypes of Avena barbata. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21: 737–748. , .
- 1997. Genetic variation in stomatal and biochemical limitations to photosynthesis in the annual plant, Polygonum arenastrum. Oecologia 109: 535–546. , .
- 2003. Inheritance and natural selection on functional traits. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S21–S42. , .
- 1900. Organography of plants. I. general organography. New York, NY, USA: Hafner.
- 1999. Specific leaf area in barley: individual leaves versus whole plants. New Phytologist 143: 45–51. , , ,
- 1975. Correlations between quantitative characteristics and allozyme genotypes in Avena barbata. Evolution 29: 438–442. , .
- 2005. Time of flowering, costs of reproduction, and reproductive output in annuals. In: ReekieEG, BazzazFA, eds. Reproductive allocation in plants. Burlington, MA, USA: Academic Press, 159–188. , ,
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 96–101. ,
- 1995. Photosynthesis, growth and density for the dominant species in a CO2-enriched grassland. Journal of Biogeography 22: 221–225. , , , , , .
- 2006. Fitness consequences of hybridization between ecotypes of Avena barbata: hybrid breakdown, hybrid vigor and transgressive segregation. Evolution 60: 1585–1595. , .
- 1999. An essay on juvenility, phase change, and heteroblasty in seed plants. International Journal of Plant Sciences 160: S105–S111. .
- 2001. The functional correlates of heteroblastic variation in leaves: changes in form and ecophysiology with whole plant ontogeny. Boletín Sociedade Argentina de Botánica 36: 171–184. .
- 2008. Ontogenetic changes in stomatal and biochemical limitations to photosynthesis of two co-occurring Mediterranean oaks differing in leaf life span. Tree Physiology 28: 367–374. , ,
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157: 245–261. , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Selection on phenotypic plasticity of morphological traits in response to flooding and competition in the clonal shore plant Ranunculus reptans. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20: 2126–2137. , , ,
- 1990. Influence of plant size on the carbon and water relations of Cucurbita foetidissima HBK. Functional Ecology 4: 789–797. , .
- 2007. Differences in the structure and gas exchange physiology of juvenile and adult leaves in Metrosideros excelsa. International Journal of Plant Sciences 168: 563–570. , ,
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. , .
- 2007. Hybridization, recombination, and the genetic basis of fitness variation across environments in Avena barbata. Genetica 129: 167–177. , , .
- 2004. Divergence and variation of quantitative traits between allozyme genotypes of Avena barbata from contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology 92: 57–71. , , , .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer. ,
- 1997. Hydraulic adjustment of maple saplings to canopy gap formation. Oecologia 112: 472–480. , , .
- 2008. Leaf hydraulic conductivity and photosynthesis are genetically correlated in an annual grass. New Phytologist 180: 480–487. , , , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press.
- 1972. The carbon balance of plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 3: 315–346. .
- 1989. Applied linear statistical models. Irwin, IL, USA: Homewood. , , .
- 2007. Plastic responses to temporal variation in moisture availability: consequences for water use efficiency and plant performance. Oecologia 153: 821–832. , , , .
- 1998. Developmental phenotypic plasticity: where internal programming meets external environment. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 87–91.
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity: beyond nature and nurture. Baltimore, MD, USA: Johns Hopkins.
- 1990. Phase change and the regulation of shoot morphogenesis in plants. Science 250: 923–930. .
- 2007. Natural selection on ecophysiological traits of a fern species in a temperate rainforest. Evolutionary Ecology 21: 651–662. , , ,
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42: 849–861.
- 2009. Water stress alters the genetic architecture of functional traits associated with drought adaptation in Avena barbata. Evolution 63: 702–715. , , .
- 2006. The adaptive significance of drought escape in Avena barbata, an annual grass. Evolution 60: 2478–2489. ,
- 1995. Biometry. New York, USA: Freeman. , .
- 1992. Applied multivariate statistics for the social sciences. Hillsdale, NJ, USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- 2008. Influence of nutrient availability on the mechanisms of tolerance to herbivory in an annual grass, Avena barbata (POACEAE). American Journal of Botany 95: 434–440. ,
- 2002. Photosynthetic differences between saplings and adult trees: an integration of field results by meta-analysis. Tree Physiology 22: 117–127. , .
- 1984. The quantitative genetics of polyphagy in an insect herbivore. II. Genetic correlations in larval performance within and among host plants. Evolution 38: 896–905.
- 2002. Adaptive traits of wild barley plants of Mediterranean and desert origin. Oecologia 133: 131–138. , ,
- 2009. The analysis of biological data. Greenwood Village, CO, USA: Roberts and Company. ,
- 1997. SYSTAT 7.0: statistics. Chicago, IL, USA: SPSS.
- 1996a. Adaptation to fine-grained environmental variation: an analysis of within-individual leaf variation in an annual plant. Evolution 50: 1111–1118. .
- 1996b. The contributions of programmed developmental change and phenotypic plasticity to within-individual variation in leaf traits in Dicerandra linearifolia. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 9: 737–752. .
- 1999. Is seasonal variation in leaf traits adaptive for the annual plant Dicerandra linearifolia? Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12: 306–313. .
- 1979. Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424–426. , , .
- 2001. Small plants, large plants – the importance of plant size for the physiological ecology of vascular epiphytes. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2051–2056. , ,