Priming of plant innate immunity by rhizobacteria and β-aminobutyric acid: differences and similarities in regulation
Version of Record online: 29 APR 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 183, Issue 2, pages 419–431, July 2009
How to Cite
Van der Ent, S., Van Hulten, M., Pozo, M. J., Czechowski, T., Udvardi, M. K., Pieterse, C. M. J. and Ton, J. (2009), Priming of plant innate immunity by rhizobacteria and β-aminobutyric acid: differences and similarities in regulation. New Phytologist, 183: 419–431. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02851.x
- Issue online: 25 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 APR 2009
- Received: 2 January 2009, Accepted: 3 March 2009
- 2004. Conserved MYC transcription factors play a key role in jasmonate signaling both in tomato and Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 18: 1577–1591. , , ,
- 1994. Characterization of an Arabidopsis mutant that is nonresponsive to inducers of systemic acquired resistance. The Plant Cell 6: 1583–1592. , , ,
- 2006. Priming: getting ready for battle. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 1062–1071. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2004. Real-time RT-PCR profiling of over 1400 Arabidopsis transcription factors: unprecedented sensitivity reveals novel root- and shoot-specific genes. The Plant Journal 38: 366–379. , , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide identification and testing of superior reference genes for transcript normalization in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 139: 5–17. , , , ,
- 2003. Three SAC1-like genes show overlapping patterns of expression in Arabidopsis but are remarkably silent during embryo development. The Plant Journal 34: 293–306. , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Harpin induces disease resistance in Arabidopsis through the systemic acquired resistance pathway mediated by salicylic acid and the NIM1 gene. The Plant Journal 20: 207–215. , , , .
- 2004. NPR1, all things considered. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 547–552. .
- 1997. Rapid stimulation of a soybean protein-serine kinase that phosphorylates a novel bZIP DNA-binding protein, G/HBF-1, during the induction of early transcription-dependent defenses. The EMBO Journal 16: 726–738. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Systemic acquired resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 42: 185–209. ,
- 2005. Regulation of the Arabidopsis defense transcriptome. Trends in Plant Science 10: 71–78.
- 2007. Networks of WRKY transcription factors in defense signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 366–371. , .
- 1997. Differential utilization of regulatory cis-elements for stress-induced and tissue-specific activity of a French bean chalcone synthase promoter. Plant Science 124: 175–182. , , , , .
- 2004. Phylogeny of Hyaloperonospora based on nuclear ribosomal internal transcribed spacer sequences. Mycological Progress 3: 83–94. , , , ,
- 2003. Colonization of Arabidopsis roots by Pseudomonas fluorescens primes the plant to produce higher levels of ethylene upon pathogen infection. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 62: 219–226. , , , .
- 2001. β-Aminobutyric acid-induced resistance in plants. European Journal of Plant Pathology 107: 29–37. , , , , , ,
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2004. POBO, transcription factor binding site verification with bootstrapping. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 222–229. ,
- 1990. Arabidopsis is susceptible to infection by a downy mildew fungus. The Plant Cell 2: 437–445. ,
- 2002. Benzothiadiazole-induced priming for potentiated responses to pathogen infection, wounding, and infiltration of water into leaves requires the NPR1/NIM1 gene in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 128: 1046–1056. , ,
- 1996. Benzothiadiazole induces disease resistance in Arabidopsis by activation of the systemic acquired resistance signal transduction pathway. The Plant Journal 10: 71–82. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Identification of 118 Arabidopsis transcription factor and 30 ubiquitin-ligase genes responding to chitin, a plant-defense elicitor. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 900–911. , , , ,
- 2004. JASMONATE-INSENSITIVE1 encodes a MYC transcription factor essential to discriminate between different jasmonate-regulated defense responses in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 16: 1938–1950. , , ,
- 2003. ETHYLENE RESPONSE FACTOR1 integrates signals from ethylene and jasmonate pathways in plant defense. The Plant Cell 15: 165–178. , , ,
- 2003. Plant disease resistance genes: recent insights and potential applications. Trends in Biotechnology 21: 178–183. , .
- 2005. Repressor- and activator-type ethylene response factors functioning in jasmonate signaling and disease resistance identified via a genome-wide screen of Arabidopsis transcription factor gene expression. Plant Physiology 139: 949–959. , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Plant stomata function in innate immunity against bacterial invasion. Cell 126: 969–980. , , , , .
- 2006. A comprehensive structure–function analysis of Arabidopsis SNI1 defines essential regions and transcriptional repressor activity. The Plant Cell 18: 1750–1765. , , , ,
- 1998. Arabidopsis mutants define a central role for the xanthophyll cycle in the regulation of photosynthetic energy conversion. The Plant Cell 10: 1121–1134. , ,
- 2004. Pathogen- and NaCl-induced expression of the SCaM-4 promoter is mediated in part by a GT-1 box that interacts with a GT-1-like transcription factor. Plant Physiology 135: 2150–2161. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1996. Systemic resistance in Arabidopsis induced by biocontrol bacteria is independent of salicylic acid accumulation and pathogenesis-related gene expression. The Plant Cell 8: 1225–1237. , , , , .
- 1998. A novel signaling pathway controlling induced systemic resistance in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 10: 1571–1580. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transcription factor MYC2 is involved in priming for enhanced defense during rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 180: 511–523. , , , .
- 2003. Assumption-free analysis of quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) data. Neuroscience Letters 339: 62–66. , , , .
- 1996. Systemic acquired resistance. The Plant Cell 8: 1808–1819. , , , , , .
- 2003. TM4: A free, open-source system for microarray data management and analysis. Biotechniques 34: 374–378. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , ,
- 2003. Downy mildew of Arabidopsis thaliana caused by Hyaloperonospora parasitica (formerly Peronospora parasitica). Molecular Plant Pathology 4: 159–170. , .
- 2007. Priming by airborne signals boosts direct and indirect resistance in maize. The Plant Journal 49: 16–26. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Dissecting the β-aminobutyric acid-induced priming phenomenon in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 17: 987–999. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. β-amino-butyric acid-induced resistance against necrotrophic pathogens is based on ABA-dependent priming for callose. The Plant Journal 38: 119–130. ,
- 2002. Differential effectiveness of salicylate-dependent and jasmonate/ethylene-dependent induced resistance in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 27–34. , , , .
- 2008. Expression differences for genes involved in lignin, glutathione and sulfate metabolism in response to cadmium in Arabidopsis thaliana and the related Zn/Cd-hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens. Plant Cell and Environment 31: 301–324. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. MYB72 is required in early signaling steps of rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 146: 1293–1304. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Costs and benefits of priming for defense in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 5602–5607. , , , ,
- 1999. Rhizobacteria-mediated induced systemic resistance (ISR) in Arabidopsis is not associated with a direct effect on expression of known defense-related genes but stimulates the expression of the jasmonate-inducible gene Atvsp upon challenge. Plant Molecular Biology 41: 537–549. , , , , .
- 1997. Differential induction of systemic resistance in Arabidopsis by biocontrol bacteria. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 716–724. , , , , , .
- 2008. Plant immune responses triggered by beneficial microbes. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 443–448. , , .
- 2004. The transcriptome of rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 895–908. , , , , , .
- 2005. Induction of protein secretory pathway is required for systemic acquired resistance. Science 308: 1036–1040. , , ,
- 2006. A genomic approach to identify regulatory nodes in the transcriptional network of systemic acquired resistance in plants. PLoS Pathogens 2: 1042–1050. , ,
- 1991. Identification of Pseudomonas syringae pathogens of Arabidopsis and a bacterial locus determining avirulence on both Arabidopsis and soybean. The Plant Cell 3: 49–59. , , , .
- 2000. Potentiation of pathogen-specific defense mechanisms in Arabidopsis by β-aminobutyric acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 12 920–12 925. , , ,
- 2001. β-Aminobutyric acid-induced protection of Arabidopsis against the necrotrophic fungus Botrytis cinerea. Plant Physiology 126: 517–523. , ,