Leaves in the lowest and highest winds: temperature, force and shape
Version of Record online: 29 APR 2009
© The Author (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 183, Issue 1, pages 13–26, July 2009
How to Cite
Vogel, S. (2009), Leaves in the lowest and highest winds: temperature, force and shape. New Phytologist, 183: 13–26. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02854.x
- Issue online: 3 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 APR 2009
- Received: 28 November 2008Accepted: 4 March 2009
- 2004. How flexibility induces streamlining in a two-dimensional flow. Physics of Fluids 16: 1694–1713. ,
- 2005. Fluid-flow induced flutter of a flag. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 1829–1834. ,
- 1976. A comparison of heat transfer characteristics of simple and pinnate leaf models. Botanical Gazette 137: 65–74. , .
- 2004. Structural changes in acclimated and unacclimated leaves during freezing and thawing. Functional Plant Biology 31: 29–40. , , , .
- 1988. Maintenance of leaf temperature and the optimisation of carbon gain in relation to water temperature in a tropical mangrove forest. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 15: 263–266. , , .
- 1995. A heated leaf replica technique for determining boundary layer conductance in the field. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 72: 261–275. , .
- 2004. Drag coefficient and turbulence intensity in conifer canopies. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 121: 197–206. ,
- CouttsMP, GraceJ , eds. 1995. Wind and trees. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1972. Mass and heat transfer in laminar boundary layers with particular reference to assimilation and transpiration in leaves. Agricultural Meteorology 10: 311–329. .
- 2005. Trees and wind: a practical consideration of the drag equation velocity exponent for urban tree risk management. Journal of Arboriculture 31: 101–113.
- 1984. Unsteady aspects of aquatic locomotion. American Zoologist 24: 121–134. .
- 1978. Leaf hairs: effects on physiological activity and adaptive value to a desert shrub. Oecologia 37: 183–200. , .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1982. Sleep movements in leaves: in defense of Darwin's interpretation. Oecologia 54: 253–259. .
- 1999. Determining drag coefficients and area for vegetation. EMRRP Technical Notes Collection SR-08. Vicksburg, MS, USA: US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, 1–14. ,
- 1962. Wind tunnel studies of the forces acting on the crowns of small trees. Reports of Forest Research (UK) 1962: 178–183. .
- 1993. The largest, smallest, highest, lowest, longest, and shortest: extremes in ecology. Ecology 74: 1677–1692. , .
- 1965. Radiation and convection for ponderosa pine. American Journal of Botany 52: 66–71. , ,
- 1962. Energy exchange in the biosphere. New York, NY, USA: Harper and Row. .
- 1965. Energy, plants and ecology. Ecology 46: 1–13. .
- 1978. On the adaptive significance of compound leaves, with particular reference to tropical trees. In: TomlinsonPB, ZimmermannMH, eds. Tropical trees as living systems. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 351–380. .
- 1982. Convective heat transfer characteristics of toothed leaves. Oecologia 53: 418–420. , .
- 1977. Plant response to wind. London, UK: Academic Press.
- 1978. The turbulent boundary layer over a flapping Populus leaf. Plant, Cell & Environment 1: 35–38.
- 1999. Vertical profiles of boundary layer conductance and wind speed in a cotton canopy measured with heated brass surrogate leaves. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 97: 187–197. , .
- 1988. Variation in leaf dissection and leaf energy budget among populations of Achillea from an altitudinal gradient. American Journal of Botany 75: 1298–1306.
- 1992. Sources of variation in leaf shape among two populations of Achillea lanulosa. Genetics 130: 385–394.
- 1917. Leaf structure as related to environment. American Journal of Botany 4: 533–560. .
- 2004. Low temperature effects on photosynthesis and growth of grapevine. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 795–809. , , , , .
- 1965. Fluid-dynamic drag. Brick Town, NJ, USA: Hoerner Fluid Dynamics. .
- 1967. Effects of shade on leaf structure of deciduous tree species. Ecology 48: 498–499. .
- Jr, , . 1982. Wind induced forces on trees. Journal of Fluids Engineering 104: 25–30.
- 1995. Does shade prolong juvenile development? A morphological analysis of leaf shape in Cucurbita argyrosperma subspecies sororia (Cucurbitaceae). American Journal of Botany 82: 346–359. .
- 1998. Leaf variation in a tree of Pourouma tormentosa in French Guiana. Brittonia 50: 324–338. , , .
- 1976. Theoretical and experimental investigations of Ilex pollen and leaves in relation to microhabitat in the southeastern United States. PhD thesis, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, USA. .
- 2008. Effects of wind on plants. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 40: 141–168.
- 2006. Leaf cooling curves: measuring leaf temperature in sunlight. Functional Plant Biology 33: 515–519. , , , , .
- 1988. Leaf temperatures during radiation frost. I. Observations. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 42: 121–133. , .
- 1969. Genecological differentiation of leaf morphology in Geranium sanguineum L. New Phytologist 68: 481–503. .
- 1965. Absorption of radiant energy by leaves. Ecology 46: 14–17. .
- 1939. Adaptation and origin in the plant world. 1. Factors and functions in coastal dunes. Carnegie Institute of Washington Publication 521: 1–107. , .
- 1943. Studies of evaporation and transpiration under controlled conditions. Carnegie Institute of Washington Publication 550: 1–48. .
- 1973. Some drag coefficients for British forest trees derived from wind tunnel studies. Agricultural Meteorology 12: 123–130. .
- 1988. Water is allocated differently to chloroplasts in sun and shade leaves. Plant Physiology 86: 16–18. , , .
- 2008. Principles of environmental physics, 3rd edn. Burlington, MA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1981. Coupling of plants to the atmosphere. In: GraceJ, Ford, ED, JarvisPG, eds. Plants and their atmospheric environment. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1–29. .
- 1999. Biomass investment in leaf lamina versus lamina support in relation to growth, irradiance and leaf size in temperate deciduous trees. Tree Physiology 19: 349–358. ,
- 1996. Differences between Acer saccharum leaves from open and wind-protected sites. Annals of Botany 78: 61–66. .
- 1997. The evolutionary biology of plants. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1999. A mechanical perspective on foliage leaf form and function. New Phytologist 143: 19–31. .
- 2005. Physicochemical and enviromental plant physiology, 3rd edn. Burlington, MA, USA: Academic Press.
- 1973. Wind measurements in a pine forest during a destructive gale. Forestry 47: 185–194. , .
- 1968. Convection heat transfer from broad leaves of plants. Journal of Heat Transfer 90: 71–76. , , ,
- 1974. Convective heat transfer from a semi-infinite plate to periodic flow at various angles of incidence. Agricultural Meteorology 13: 383–393. , .
- 1971. Boundary layer resistance and temperature distribution on still and flapping leaves. Plant Physiology 48: 437–42. , , .
- 1972. Boundary layer heat transfer coefficients under field conditions. Agricultural Meteorology 10: 83–92. , , .
- 1973. Wind flow characteristics on a soybean leaf compared with a leaf model. Physiologia Plantarum 28: 106–112. , , .
- 1956. Blade tissue organization of foliage leaves of some Carolina shrub-bog species as compared with their Appalachian mountain affinities. Botanical Gazette 118: 88–105.
- 1950. General uses and methods of thermistors in temperature investigations, with special reference to a technique for high sensitivity contact temperature measurement. Plant Physiology 25: 507–512. , .
- 2006. Plant biomechanics in an ecological context. American Journal of Botany 93: 1546–1565. ,
- 1993. The effect of flutter on the temperature of poplar leaves and its implication for carbon gain. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 571–577. , .
- 2001. Computer-based analysis of steady-state and transient heat transfer of small-sized leaves by free and mixed convection. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 631–640.
- 2008. Sensitivity of leaf size and shape to climate within Acer rubrum and Quercus kelloggii. New Phytologist 178: 808–817. , , ,
- 2005. Correlations of climate and plant ecology to leaf size and shape: potential proxies for the fossil record. American Journal of Botany 92: 1141–1151. , , , , .
- 2006. How strong is intracanopy leaf plasticity in temperate deciduous trees? American Journal of Botany 93: 829–839. , , , ,
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 17: 667–693. .
- 2007. Rapid heating of intact leaves reveals initial effects of stromal oxidation on photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 671–678. , , .
- 1993. Leaf boundary layers. New Phytologist 125: 477–507. .
- 2008. Isoprene emission from plants: why and how. Annals of Botany 101: 5–18. , , .
- 1950. Leaf xeromorphy as related to physiological and structural influences. Botanical Review 16: 399–447. .
- 1970. Optical properties of leaves of some species in arid South Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 18: 261–273. , .
- 1970. Convective heat transfer from narrow leaves. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 23: 309–321.
- Jr, . 2001. Estimating near-infrared leaf reflectance from leaf structural characteristics. American Journal of Botany 88: 278–284. ,
- 1989. Effect of leaf angle and orientation on photosynthesis and water relations in Silphium terebinthinaceum. American Journal of Botany 76: 1714–1719. ,
- 1977. Temperature and water relations for sun and shade leaves of a desert broadleaf, Hyptis emoryi. Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 169–183. , .
- 1991. Patterns of leaf morphology and photosynthesis in shoots of Sassafras albidum (Lauraceae). American Journal of Botany 78: 89–98. , .
- 2003. Field measurements of wind speed and reconfiguration in Arundo donax (Poaceae) with estimates of drag forces. American Journal of Botany 90: 1253–1256.
- 2006. Boundary layer conductance for contrasting leaf shapes in a deciduous broadleaved forest canopy. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 139: 40–54. , , .
- 1981. A geographic perspective on the ecology of compound leaves. Evolution 35: 818–821. , .
- 1957. A study of the lobing of sun and shade leaves. Ecology 38: 655–658. , .
- Gates DM, 1964. Radiation and convection in conifers. American Journal of Botany 51: 529–538. ,
- 1968. Sun leaves and shade leaves: differences in convective heat dissipation. Ecology 49: 1203–1204.
- 1969. Low-speed wind tunnels for biological investigations. In: KerkutGA, ed. Experiments in physiology and biochemistry, Vol. 2. London, UK: Academic Press, 295–325.
- 1970. Convective cooling at low airspeeds and the shapes of broad leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 21: 91–101.
- 1981. Life in moving fluids: the physical biology of flow. Boston, MA, USA: Willard Grant Press.
- 1984a. The thermal conductivity of leaves. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 741–744.
- 1984b. Drag and flexibility in sessile organisms. American Zoologist 24: 37–44.
- 1989. Drag and reconfiguration of broad leaves in high winds. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 941–948.
- 1993. When leaves save the tree. Natural History 102(9): 58–63.
- 1994. Life in moving fluids, 2nd edn. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press.
- 1998. Convergence as an analytical tool in evaluating design. In: TaylorCR, WeibelER, eds. Principles of animal design. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 13–20.
- 2005a. Living in a physical world. IV. Moving heat around. Journal of Biosciences 30: 449–460.
- 2005b. Living in a physical world. V. Maintaining temperature. Journal of Biosciences 30: 581–590.
- 2006. Living in a physical world. IX. Making and maintaining liquid water. Journal of Biosciences 31: 525–536.
- 2005. Wind tunnel measurements of crown streamlining and drag relationships for several hardwood species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35: 1238–1249. , , , ,
- 1974. Heat transport coefficients for constant energy flux models of broad leaves. Boundary Layer Meteorology 7: 139–150. , .
- 1980. Macroscopic features of wind damage to leaves of Acer pseudoplatanus L. and its relationship with season, leaf age, and windspeed. Annals of Botany 46: 303–311.
- 1991. Leaf teeth, transpiration and the retrieval of apoplastic solutes in balsam poplar. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 225–232. , , .
- 1999. The functional significance and fitness consequences of heterophylly. International Journal of Plant Science 160: S113–S121. .