Symbiotic competence in Lotus japonicus is affected by plant nitrogen status: transcriptomic identification of genes affected by a new signalling pathway
Article first published online: 4 JUN 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 183, Issue 2, pages 380–394, July 2009
How to Cite
Omrane, S., Ferrarini, A., D’Apuzzo, E., Rogato, A., Delledonne, M. and Chiurazzi, M. (2009), Symbiotic competence in Lotus japonicus is affected by plant nitrogen status: transcriptomic identification of genes affected by a new signalling pathway. New Phytologist, 183: 380–394. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02873.x
- Issue published online: 25 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 4 JUN 2009
- Received: 19 February 2009, Accepted: 27 March 2009
- 2007. AP2-ERF transcription factors mediate Nod factor dependent Mt ENOD11 activation in root hairs via a novel cis-regulatory motif. Plant Cell 19: 2866–85. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Comparison of the transcript profiles from the root and the nodulating root of the model legume Lotus japonicus by serial analysis of gene expression. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 487–98. , , , , , , ,
- 2008. A positive regulatory role for LjERF1 in the nodulation process is revealed by systematic analysis of nodule-associated transcription factors of Lotus japonicus. Plant Physiology 147: 2030–40. , , , , .
- 2005. Procedure for Lotus japonicus in vitro nodulation studies. In: MarquezAJ, ed. Lotus japonicus handbook. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer Verlag, 83–86. ,
- 2007. Differential effects of combined N sources on early steps of the Nod factor-dependent transduction pathway in Lotus japonicus. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interaction 20: 994–1003. , , , ,
- 1974. R factor transfer in Rhizobium leguminosarum. Journal of General Microbiology 84: 188–198. .
- 2007. Global transcription profiling reveals differential responses to chronic nitrogen stress and putative nitrogen regulatory components in Arabidopsis. BMC Genomics 8: 281–297. , , , .
- 1978. The effect of ammonium nitrate on the synthesis of nitrogenase and the concentration of leghemoglobin in pea root nodules induced by Rhizobium leguminosarum. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 539: 1–11. , ,
- 2003. Expression profiling and bioinformatic analyses of a novel stress-regulated multispanning transmembrane protein family from cereals and Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology. 132: 64–74. , , ,
- 1991. Plant genetic control of nodulation. Annual Review of Microbiology 45: 345–382. , .
- 1990. Nitrate inhibition of nodulation in legumes. In: GresshoffPM, ed. Molecular biology of symbiotic nitrogen fixation. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 159–180. ,
- 1991. Effect of localized nitrate application on isoflavonoid concentration and nodulation in split-root systems of wild-type and nodulation-mutant soybeans plants. Plant Physiology 95: 1106–1112. , .
- 2006. MtHAP2-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of symbiotic nodule development regulated by microRNA169 in Medicago truncatula. Genes and Development 20: 3084–3088. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Nitrogen and carbon nutrient and metabolite signaling in plants. Plant Physiology 125: 61–64. ,
- 2004. Characterisation of three functional high affinity ammonium transporters in Lotus japonicus with differential transcriptional regulation and spatial expression. Plant Physiology 134: 1763–1774. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2000. Differential expression of two soybean apyrases, one of which is an early nodulin. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 1053–1070. , , , , , ,
- 1988. Nodule phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase: a review. Physiologia Plantarum 74: 775–782. ,
- 2002. Trehalose-6-phosphate synthase 1, which catalyses the first step in trehalose synthesis, is essential for Arabidopsis embryo maturation. Plant Journal 29: 225–235. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Expression profiling in Medicago truncatula identifies more than 750 genes differentially expressed during nodulation, including many potential regulators of the symbiotic program. Plant Physiology 136: 3159–3176. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. A nod factor binding lectin with apyrase activity from legume roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 5856–5861. , , , , , .
- 2003. Markers and signals associated with nitrogen assimilation in higher plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 585–593. , ,
- 1970. The effects of amino acids and ammonium on the growth of plant cells in suspension culture. Plant Physiology 45: 372–375. .
- 2003. AtBXL1, a novel higher plant (Arabidopsis thaliana) putative beta-hydroxidase gene, is involved in secondary cell wall metabolism and plant development. Plant Journal 33: 677–69. , , , , , , ,
- 2009. GS52 Ecto-Apyrase plays a critical role during soybean nodulation. Plant Physiology 149: 994–1004. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase is a novel protein kinase regulated at the level of expression. Plant Journal 20: 333–342. , , , , , .
- 1994. Root hair deformation activity of nodulation factors and their fate on Vicia sativa. Plant Physiology 105: 787–797. , , , , ,
- 1997. Nod factor-induced expression of leghemoglobin to study the mechanism of NH4NO3 inhibition on root hair deformation. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 215–220. , , , ,
- 1975. Nodulation responses from nitrogen applied to soybean half-root systems. Agronomic Journal 67: 799–804.
- 2005. An Arabidopsis transcription factor, AtbZIP60, regulates the endoplasmic reticulum stress response in a manner unique to plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 5280–5285. ,
- 2005. Nodulation signaling in legumes requires NSP2, a member of the GRAS family of transcriptional regulators. Science 308: 1786–1789. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2000. Localization of a Nod factor-binding protein in legume roots and factors influencing its distribution and expression. Plant Physiology 124: 1039–48. , .
- 1999. A protein phosphatase 2C gene, LjNPP2C1, from Lotus japonicus induced during nodule development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 1738–1743. , , , ,
- 2004. Root-to-shoot transport of sulfate in Arabidopsis. Evidence for the role of SULTR3;5 as a component of low-affinity sulfate transport system in the root vasculature. Plant Physiology 136: 4198–4204. , , ,
- 2005. RNA isolation using phase extraction and LiCl precipitation. In: MarquezAJ, ed. Lotus japonicus handbook. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer Verlag, 123–124. ,
- 1994. Rhizobium inoculation and physical wounding result in the rapid induction of the same chalcone synthase copy in Trifolium subterraneum. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 7: 498–507. , , , .
- 2006. Transcript analysis of early nodulation events in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 140: 221–34. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press, 889.
- 2002. Arabidopsis seedling growth, storage lipid mobilization, and photosynthetic gene expression are regulated by carbon:nitrogen availability. Plant Physiology 128: 472–481. , , .
- 2005. Transgenic expression of the soybean apyrase in Lotus japonicus enhances nodulation. Plant Physiology 137: 1456–1462. ,
- 2007. An ERF transcription factor in Medicago truncatula that is essential for Nod factor signal transduction. Plant Cell 19: 1221–1234. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Characterization and expression analysis of genes encoding phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase of Lotus japonicus, a model legume. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 281–288. , , , , , ,
- 2002. A Lotus basic leucine zipper protein with a RING-finger motif negatively regulates the developmental program of nodulation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 15206–15210. , , ,
- 2008. Coordinating nodule morphogenesis with rhizobial infection in legumes. Annual Review of Plant Molecular Biology 59: 519–546. , .
- 2004. Genome-wide patterns of carbon and nitrogen regulation of gene expression validate the combined carbon and nitrogen (CN)-signalling hypothesis in plants. Genome Biology 5: R91. , , , .
- 1997. A legume ethylene-insensitive mutant hyperinfected by its rhizobial symbiont. Science 275: 527–530. , .
- 2004. Global transcription profiling reveals multiple sugar signal transduction mechanisms in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2128–2150. , , , .
- 1994. Nitrogen source regulation of growth and photosynthesis in Beta vulgaris L. Plant Physiology 105: 1159–1166. ,
- 2000. Arabidopsis transcription factors: genome-wide comparative analysis among eukaryotes. Science 290: 2105–2110. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1996. Ammonium assimilation by young plants of Hordeum vulgare in light and darkness: effects on respiratory oxygen consumption by roots. New Phytologist 132: 375–382. , , , , ,
- 2003. OligoArray 2.0: design of oligonucleotide probes for DNA microarrays using a thermodynamic approach. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 3057–3062. , ,
- 2008. Systemic signaling of the plant nitrogen status triggers specific transcriptome responses depending on the nitrogen source in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 146: 2020–2035. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. Genome structure of the legume, Lotus japonicus. DNA Research 15: 227–239. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1999. A plant regulator controlling development of symbiotic root nodules. Nature 402: 191–195. , , ,
- 1997. Accumulation of nitrate in the shoot acts as a signal to regulate shoot–root allocation in tobacco. Plant Journal 11: 671–691. , , , ,
- 2004. Genome-wide reprogramming of primary and secondary metabolism, protein synthesis, cellular growth processes, and the regulatory infrastructure of Arabidopsis in response to nitrogen. Plant Physiology 136: 2483–2499. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Roots redefined: anatomical and genetic analysis of root development. Plant Physiology 111: 959–964. , ,
- 1996. Ca2+-dependent protein kinases and stress signal transduction in plants. Science 274: 1900–1902.
- 2005. NSP1 of the GRAS protein family is essential for rhizobial Nod factor-induced transcription. Science 308: 1789–1791. , , , , , ,
- 1996. The no apical meristem gene of Petunia is required for pattern formation in embryos and flowers and is expressed at meristem and primordia boundaries. Cell 85: 159–170. , , , ,
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 583–621. ,
- 2002. Steps towards an integrated view of nitrogen metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 959–970. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Deregulation of a Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent kinase leads to spontaneous nodule development. Nature 441: 1153–1156. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1989. Alfalfa nodulation in absence of Rhizobium. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 219: 65–68. , , , , ,
- 2001. Significance analysis of micro-arrays applied to the ionizing radiation response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 5116–5121. , ,
- 2007. Legume transcription factors: global regulators of plant development and response to the environment. Plant Physiology 144: 538–49. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Extension of the visualization tool MapMan to allow statistical analysis of arrays, display of corresponding genes, and comparison with known responses. Plant Physiology 138: 1195–1204. , ,
- 2008. EFD is an ERF transcription factor involved in the control of nodule number and differentiation in Medicago truncatula. Plant Cell 20: 2696–2713. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Trehalose-6-phosphate phosphatases from Arabidopsis thaliana: identification by functional complementation of the yeast tps2 mutant. Plant Journal 13: 673–683. , , , ,
- 2000. Genomic analysis of a nutrient response in Arabidopsis reveals diverse expression patterns and novel metabolic and potential regulatory genes induced by nitrate. Plant Cell 12: 1491–1509. , , , .
- 2003. Microarray analysis of the nitrate response in Arabidopsis roots and shoots reveals over 1000 rapidly responding genes and new linkages to glucose, trehalose-6-phosphate, iron, and sulphate metabolism. Plant Physiology 132: 556–567. , , ,
- 2008. Characterization of SBZ1, a soybean bZIP protein that binds to the chalcone synthase gene promoter. Plant Biotechnology 25: 131–140. , ,
- 1998. An Arabidopsis MADS box gene that controls nutrient-induced changes in root architecture. Science 279: 407–409. , .