Authors who contributed equally to the work presented in this article.
Differential petiole growth in Arabidopsis thaliana: photocontrol and hormonal regulation
Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 1, pages 141–152, October 2009
How to Cite
Millenaar, F. F., Van Zanten, M., Cox, M. C. H., Pierik, R., Voesenek, L. A. C. J. and Peeters, A. J. M. (2009), Differential petiole growth in Arabidopsis thaliana: photocontrol and hormonal regulation. New Phytologist, 184: 141–152. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02921.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2009
- Received: 2 April 2009Accepted: 30 April 2009
- 1993. HY4 gene of A thaliana encodes a protein with characteristics of a blue-light photoreceptor. Nature 366: 162–166. , .
- 1998. Cryptochrome blue-light photoreceptors of Arabidopsis implicated in phototropism. Nature 392: 720–723. , , , .
- 1969. Nastic responses. In: WilkinsMB, ed. The physiology of plant growth and development. London, UK: McGraw-Hill, 277–300. .
- 1999. Keeping up with the neighbours: phytochrome sensing and other signalling mechanisms. Trends in Plant Science 4: 97. .
- 1991. Responses of light-grown wild-type and long-hypocotyl mutant cucumber seedlings to natural and simulated shade. Photochemistry and Photobiology 54: 819–826. , , .
- 2007. ABA antagonizes ethylene-induced hyponastic growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 143: 1013–1023. , , , , , .
- 2006. Functional significance of shade-induced leaf senescence in dense canopies: an experimental test using transgenic tobacco. American Naturalist 168: 597–607. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Growth stage–based phenotypic analysis of Arabidopsis: a model for high throughput functional genomics in plants. Plant Cell 13: 1499–1510. , , , , , ,
- 1998. Conditional synergism between cryptochrome 1 and phytochrome B is shown by the analysis of phyA, phyB, and hy4 simple, double, and triple mutants in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 118: 19–25. , .
- 1993. Arabidopsis ethylene-response gene ETR1: similarity of product to two-component regulators. Science 262: 539–544. , , , .
- 2004. The roles of ethylene, auxin, abscisic acid, and gibberellin in the hyponastic growth of submerged Rumex palustris petioles. Plant Physiology 136: 2948–2960. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Plant movement; submergence-induced petiole elongation in Rumex palustris depends on hyponastic growth. Plant Physiology 132: 282–291. , , , , .
- 1994. Light-regulated translation of chloroplast messenger RNAs through redox potential. Science 266: 1717–1719. , .
- 2005b. The F-box protein TIR1 is an auxin receptor. Nature 435: 441–445. , ,
- 2005a. Plant development is regulated by a family of auxin receptor F box proteins. Developmental Cell 9: 109–119. , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Light-intensity regulation of Cab gene-transcription is signaled by the redox state of the plastoquinone pool. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 10237–10241. , , , .
- 1998. Phytochrome B and the regulation of circadian ethylene production in sorghum. Plant Physiology 116: 17–25. , , .
- 1980. The establishment of tropic curvatures in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 131–148. ,
- 2008. Shade avoidance. New Phytologist 179: 930–944. .
- 2003. Auxin transport – shaping the plant. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 7–12.
- 2002. Polar auxin transport – old questions and new concepts? Plant Molecular Biology 49: 273–284. ,
- 2003. Efflux-dependent auxin gradients establish the apical–basal axis of Arabidopsis. Nature 426: 147–153. , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Lateral relocation of auxin efflux regulator PIN3 mediates tropism in Arabidopsis. Nature 415: 806–809. , , , ,
- 2005. Redox regulation of carbon storage and partitioning in response to light and sugars. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1469–1479. , ,
- 1998. Regulation of flowering time by Arabidopsis photoreceptors. Science 279: 1360–1363. , , , .
- 1990. Exploiting the triple response of Arabidopsis to identify ethylene-related mutants. Plant Cell 2: 513–523. , .
- 1997. Gravity, light and plant form. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 796–800. .
- 2000. The NPH4 Locus Encodes the Auxin Response Factor ARF7, a conditional regulator of differential growth in aerial Arabidopsis tissue. Plant Cell 12: 757–770. , , , , , , ,
- 1998. EIN4 and ERS2 are members of the putative ethylene receptor gene family in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1321–1332. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Phototropin-related NPL1 controls chloroplast relocation induced by blue light. Nature 410: 952–954. , , , , .
- 2001. Arabidopsis NPL1: A phototropin homolog controlling the chloroplast high-light avoidance response. Science 291: 2138–2141. , , , , , , , ,
- 1979. Epinasty. In: HauptW, FeinleibME, eds. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, New Series, Vol. 7. Physiology of movements. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 647–667. .
- 2005. The Arabidopsis F-box protein TIR1 is an auxin receptor. Nature 435: 446–451. ,
- 1993. CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the raf family of protein kinases. Cell 72: 427–441. , , , , .
- 2000. Interactions of light and ethylene in hypocotyl hook maintenance in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 108: 208–215. , ,
- 2001. The Arabidopsis HY2 gene encodes phytochromobilin synthase, a ferredoxin-dependent biliverdin reductase. Plant Cell 13: 425–436. , , , , , .
- 2009. High Temperature-Mediated Adaptations in Plant Architecture Require the bHLH Transcription Factor PIF4. Current Biology 19: 408–413. , , , , , , .
- 1991. A genetic and physiological analysis of late flowering mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular & General Genetics 229: 57–66. , , .
- 1980. Genetic control of light-inhibited hypocotyl elongation in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenphysiologie 100: 147–160. , , .
- 2007. EXECUTER1- and EXECUTER2-dependent transfer of stress-related signals from the plastid to the nucleus of Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 10270–10275. , , ,
- 1996. HOOKLESS1, an ethylene response gene, is required for differential cell elongation in the Arabidopsis hypocotyl. Cell 85: 183–194. , , .
- 2002. Blue light receptors and signal transduction. Plant Cell 14: 207–25.
- 1995. Mutations in the NPH1 locus of Arabidopsis disrupt the perception of phototropic stimuli. Plant Cell 7: 473–485. , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT Method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2001. Hierarchical coupling of phytochromes and cryptochromes reconciles stability and light modulation of Arabidopsis development. Development 12: 2291–2299. , , , .
- 2001. FLU: a negative regulator of chlorophyll biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 12826–12831. , , , , ,
- 2005. Ethylene-induced differential growth of petioles in Arabidopsis Analyzing natural variation, response kinetics, and regulation Plant Physiology 137: 998–1008. , , , , , , .
- 2006. How to decide? Different methods of calculating gene expression from short oligonucleotide array data will give different results. BMC Bioinformatics 7: 137. , , , , , .
- 2000. Shade avoidance responses. Driving auxin along lateral routes. Plant Physiology 122: 621–626. ,
- 2006. Shade avoidance and the regulation of leaf inclination in Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1099–1106. , , .
- 1993. Isolation and initial characterization of Arabidopsis mutants that are deficient in phytochrome A. Plant Physiology 102: 269–277. , ,
- 1998. Genetic interaction between phytochrome A, phytochrome B and cryptochrome 1 during Arabidopsis development. Plant Physiology 118: 27–36. ,
- 1999. Photosynthetic control of chloroplast gene expression. Nature 397: 625–628. , , .
- 2004a. Interactions between ethylene and gibberellins in phytochrome-mediated shade avoidance responses in tobacco. Plant Physiology 136: 2928–2936. , , , .
- 2009. Auxin and ethylene regulate elongation responses to neighbour proximity signals independent of GA and DELLA proteins in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 149: 1701–1712. , , , , .
- 2005. New perspectives in flooding research: the use of shade avoidance and Arabidopsis thaliana. Annals of Botany 96: 533–540. , , , .
- 2006. The Janus face of ethylene: growth inhibition and stimulation. Trends in Plant Science 11: 176–183. , , , , .
- 2003. Ethylene is required in tobacco to successfully compete with proximate neighbours. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1229–1234. , , , .
- 2004b. Canopy studies on ethylene-insensitive tobacco identify ethylene as a novel element in blue light and plant-plant signaling. Plant Journal 38: 310–319. , , , , .
- 2006. Chloroplast-mediated regulation of nuclear genes in Arabidopsis thaliana in the absence of light stress. Physiological Genomics 25: 142–152. , , , , ,
- 1999. Regulation of differential growth in the apical hook of Arabidopsis. Development 126: 3661–3668. , .
- 1995. Genetic analysis of ethylene signal transduction in Arabidopsis thaliana: five novel mutant loci integrated into a stress response pathway. Genetics 139: 1393–1409. , , , ,
- 1997. Reduced naphthylphthalamic acid binding in the tir3 mutant of Arabidopsis is associated with a reduction in polar auxin transport and diverse morphological defects. Plant Cell 9: 745–757. , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Arabidopsis nph1 and npl1: blue light receptors that mediate both phototropism and chloroplast relocation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 6969–6974. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Gating of the rapid shade avoidance response by the circadian clock in plants. Nature 426: 680–683. , , .
- 2008. The regulation of cell wall extensibility during shade avoidance: a study using two contrasting ecotypes of Stellaria longipes. Plant Physiology 148: 1557–1569. , , ,
- 1997. Ethylene can stimulate Arabidopsis hypocotyl elongation in the light. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 2756–2761. , , , ,
- 2003. Chloroplast to nucleus communication triggered by accumulation of Mg-protoporphyrinIX. Nature 421: 79–83. , , , ,
- 2008. Rapid synthesis of auxin via a new tryptophan-dependent pathway is required for shade avoidance in plants. Cell 133: 164–176. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Ethylene and auxin control the Arabidopsis response to decreased light intensity. Plant Physiology 133: 517–527. , , , , ,
- 1989. Growth responses of Rumex species in relation to submergence and ethylene. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 433–439. , .
- 1999. 1-Aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase activity limits ethylene biosynthesis in Rumex palustris during submergence. Plant Physiology 121: 189–195. , , , .
- 2004. The genetic basis of singlet oxygen-induced stress responses of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 306: 1183–1185. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1993. Phytochrome A null mutants of Arabidopsis display a wild-type phenotype in white light. Plant Cell 5: 757–768. , , , , , , .
- 1995. An ethylene-inducible component of signal transduction encoded by Never-ripe. Science 270: 1807–1809. , , , , .
- 2000. Quadruple photoreceptor mutant still keeps track of time. Current Biology 10: 1013–1015. , , .