The CBL–CIPK Ca2+-decoding signaling network: function and perspectives
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 3, pages 517–528, November 2009
How to Cite
Weinl, S. and Kudla, J. (2009), The CBL–CIPK Ca2+-decoding signaling network: function and perspectives. New Phytologist, 184: 517–528. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02938.x
- Issue published online: 16 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2009
- Received: 12 April 2009Accepted: 19 May 2009
- 2008. The crystal structure of plant-specific calcium-binding protein AtCBL2 in complex with the regulatory domain of AtCIPK14. Journal of Molecular Biology 377: 246–257. , , , , , ,
- 2001. The NAF domain defines a novel protein–protein interaction module conserved in Ca2+-regulated kinases. EMBO Journal 20: 1051–1063. , , , ,
- 2003. The calcium sensor CBL1 integrates plant responses to abiotic stresses. Plant Journal 36: 457–470. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. A defined range of guard cell calcium oscillation parameters encodes stomatal movements. Nature 411: 1053–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Alteration of stimulus-specific guard cell calcium oscillations and stomatal closing in Arabidopsis det3 mutant. Science 289: 2338–2342. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2000. Organization of transport from endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi in higher plants. Biochemical Society Transactions 28: 505–512. , , , , , .
- 2007. SOS2 promotes salt tolerance in part by interacting with the vacuolar H+-ATPase and upregulating its transport activity. Molecular and Cellular Biology 27: 7781–7790. , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Integration and channeling of calcium signaling through the CBL calcium sensor/CIPK protein kinase network. Planta 219: 915–924. ,
- 2009. Plant calcineurin B-like proteins and their interacting protein kinases. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1793: 985–992. ,
- 2008. Dual fatty acyl modification determines the localization and plasma membrane targeting of CBL/CIPK Ca2+ signaling complexes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 20: 1346–1362. , , , ,
- CBL-mediated targeting of CIPKs facilitates decoding of calcium signals emanating from distinct cellular stores. Plant Journal. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2009.04045.x , , , , (in press).
- 2006. Calcium microdomains: organization and function. Cell Calcium 40: 405–412. .
- 2004. The protein kinase SOS2 activates the Arabidopsis H+/Ca2+ antiporter CAX1 to integrate calcium transport and salt tolerance. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 2922–2926. , , , .
- 2003. CBL1, a calcium sensor that differentially regulates salt, drought, and cold responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15: 1833–1845. , , , , ,
- 2007. Two calcineurin B-like calcium sensors, interacting with protein kinase CIPK23, regulate leaf transpiration and root potassium uptake in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 52: 223–239. , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Calcium signaling. Cell 80: 259–268. .
- 2006. Alternative complex formation of the Ca2+-regulated protein kinase CIPK1 controls abscisic acid-dependent and independent stress responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 48: 857–872. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Imaging Ca2+ signals in Xenopus oocytes. Methods in Molecular Biology 322: 103–119. , ,
- 1996. Near-membrane [Ca2+] transients resolved using the Ca2+ indicator FFP18. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 5368–5373. , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis protein kinase PKS5 inhibits the plasma membrane H+-ATPase by preventing interaction with 14-3-3 protein. Plant Cell 19: 1617–1634. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2009. An autophosphorylation site of the protein kinase SOS2 is important for salt tolerance in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 2: 183–190. ,
- 2002. Biochemical characterization of the Arabidopsis protein kinase SOS2 that functions in salt tolerance. Plant Physiology 130: 256–264. , , ,
- 2008. Expression analysis of the calcineurin B-like gene family in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under environmental stresses. Gene 415: 1–12. , , , , ,
- 2001. Molecular characterization of functional domains in the protein kinase SOS2 that is required for plant salt tolerance. Plant Cell 13: 1383–1400. , , , .
- 2002. A calcium sensor and its interacting protein kinase are global regulators of abscisic acid signaling in Arabidopsis. Developmental Cell 3: 233–244. , , , , ,
- 2000. The Arabidopsis SOS2 protein kinase physically interacts with and is activated by the calcium-binding protein SOS3. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 3735–3740. , , .
- 2005. Plants, symbiosis and parasites: a calcium signalling connection. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 6: 555–566. ,
- 2006. Calcium signaling networks channel plant K+ uptake. Cell 125: 1221–1223. ,
- 2004. The generation of Ca2+ signals in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 401–427. ,
- 2003. The role of stomata in sensing and driving environmental change. Nature 424: 901–908. , .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis CDPK-SnRK superfamily of protein kinases. Plant Physiology 132: 666–680. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2009. AtCIPK8, a CBL-interacting protein kinase, regulates the low-affinity phase of the primary nitrate response. Plant Journal 57: 264–278. , ,
- 2005. A gibberellin-regulated calcineurin B in rice localizes to the tonoplast and is implicated in vacuole function. Plant Physiology 138: 1347–1358. , , , , , .
- 2000. SOS3 function in plant salt tolerance requires N-myristoylation and calcium binding. Plant Cell 12: 1667–1678. , , , , , .
- 2007. The calcium sensor CBL10 mediates salt tolerance by regulating ion homeostasis in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 52: 473–484. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. CIPK3, a calcium sensor-associated protein kinase that regulates abscisic acid and cold signal transduction in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15: 411–423. , , , ,
- 2009. Calcium and calmodulin-mediated regulation of gene expression in plants. Molecular Plant 2: 13–21. , , , .
- 2004. Calcium sensors and their interacting protein kinases: genomics of the Arabidopsis and rice CBL-CIPK signaling networks. Plant Physiology 134: 43–58. , , , ,
- 1999. Genes for calcineurin B-like proteins in Arabidopsis are differentially regulated by stress signals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 4718–4723. , , , ,
- 2006. The protein phosphatase AtPP2CA negatively regulates abscisic acid signal transduction in Arabidopsis, and effects of abh1 on AtPP2CA mRNA. Plant Physiology 140: 127–139. , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis and effects of cytosolic free calcium increases in response to elicitors in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia cells. Plant Cell 14: 2627–2641. , , , ,
- 2007. A protein phosphorylation/dephosphorylation network regulates a plant potassium channel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 15959–15964. , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. The Arabidopsis thaliana SOS2 gene encodes a protein kinase that is required for salt tolerance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 97: 3730–3734. , , , , .
- 1998. A calcium sensor homolog required for plant salt tolerance. Science 280: 1943–1945. , .
- 2002. Calmodulins and calcineurin B-like proteins: calcium sensors for specific signal response coupling in plants. Plant Cell 14 (Suppl.): S389–400. , , , ,
- 2006. Cloning and characterization of CBL-CIPK signalling components from a legume (Pisum sativum). FEBS Journal 273: 907–925. , ,
- 2007. Conservation of the salt overly sensitive pathway in rice. Plant Physiology 143: 1001–1012. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Stress-induced protein phosphatase 2C is a negative regulator of a mitogen-activated protein kinase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 18945–18952. , , , , , , ,
- 1991. Evidence that AMP triggers phosphorylation as well as direct allosteric activation of rat liver AMP-activated protein kinase. A sensitive mechanism to protect the cell against ATP depletion. European Journal of Biochemistry 199: 691–697. , , .
- 2003. The crystal structure of the novel calcium-binding protein AtCBL2 from Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 42240–42246. , , , , , ,
- 2003. A novel domain in the protein kinase SOS2 mediates interaction with the protein phosphatase 2C ABI2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 11771–11776. , , ,
- 2007. CIPK9: a calcium sensor-interacting protein kinase required for low-potassium tolerance in Arabidopsis. Cell Research 17: 411–421. , , , , ,
- 2004. The calcium sensor calcineurin B-like 9 modulates abscisic acid sensitivity and biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 1912–1924. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Regulation of vacuolar Na+/H+ exchange in Arabidopsis thaliana by the salt-overly-sensitive (SOS) pathway. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 207–215. , , , , ,
- 2007. SCABP8/CBL10, a putative calcium sensor, interacts with the protein kinase SOS2 to protect Arabidopsis shoots from salt stress. Plant Cell 19: 1415–1431. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Fatty acylation of proteins: new insights into membrane targeting of myristoylated and palmitoylated proteins. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1451: 1–16.
- 2007. The structure of the C-terminal domain of the protein kinase AtSOS2 bound to the calcium sensor AtSOS3. Molecular Cell 26: 427–435. , , , , ,
- 2005. The structure of the Arabidopsis thaliana SOS3: molecular mechanism of sensing calcium for salt stress response. Journal of Molecular Biology 345: 1253–1264. , , ,
- 2002. Calcium at the crossroads of signaling. Plant Cell 14 (Suppl.): S401–S417. , , , .
- 2003. Calcium: just a chemical switch? Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 500–506. , .
- 1999. Novel protein kinases associated with calcineurin B-like calcium sensors in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 11: 2393–2405. , , , , , , ,
- 2009. CIPK6, a CBL-interacting protein kinase is required for development and salt tolerance in plant. Plant Journal. doi: 0.1111/j.1365-313X.2009.03812.x. , , ,
- 2007. Interaction of SOS2 with NDPK2 and catalases reveals a point of connection between salt stress and H2O2 signaling in Arabidopsis. Molecular and Cellular Biology 27: 7771–7780. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Multicolor bimolecular fluorescence complementation reveals simultaneous formation of alternative CBL/CIPK complexes in planta. Plant Journal 56: 505–516. , , , , ,
- 2007. Overexpression of a putative maize calcineurin B-like protein in Arabidopsis confers salt tolerance. Plant Molecular Biology 65: 733–746. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Ca2+ signalling in plants and green algae-changing channels. Trends in Plant Science 13: 506–514. ,
- 2003. Calcium in plants. Annals of Botany (London) 92: 487–511. , .
- 2007. Characterization of stress-responsive CIPK genes in rice for stress tolerance improvement. Plant Physiology 144: 1416–1428. , ,
- 2006. A protein kinase, interacting with two calcineurin B-like proteins, regulates K+ transporter AKT1 in Arabidopsis. Cell 125: 1347–1360. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Comparative genomic analysis of CIPK gene family in Arabidopsis and Populus. Plant Growth Regulation 52: 101–110. , , ,
- 2008. Calcineurin B-like family in Populus: comparative genome analysis and expression pattern under cold, drought and salt stress treatment. Plant Growth Regulation 56: 129–140. , ,
- 2003. Regulation of ion homeostasis under salt stress. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 441–445. .