Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 2, pages 353–364, October 2009
How to Cite
Martínez-Vilalta, J., Cochard, H., Mencuccini, M., Sterck, F., Herrero, A., Korhonen, J. F. J., Llorens, P., Nikinmaa, E., Nolè, A., Poyatos, R., Ripullone, F., Sass-Klaassen, U. and Zweifel, R. (2009), Hydraulic adjustment of Scots pine across Europe. New Phytologist, 184: 353–364. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02954.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2009
- Received: 10 November 2008Accepted: 6 May 2009
- 2004. Functional strategies of chaparral shrubs in relation to seasonal water deficit and disturbance. Ecological Monographs 74: 25–44. .
- 2000. The evolution of plant ecophysiological traits: recent advances and future directions. Bioscience 50: 979–995. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Adjustments in hydraulic architecture of Pinus palustris maintain similar stomatal conductance in xeric and mesic habitats. Plant, Cell and Environment 29: 535–545. , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Effects of drought and phenology on GPP in Pinus sylvestris: a simulation study along a geographical gradient. Functional Ecology 11: 33–42.
- 2007. Evolution of hydraulic traits in closely related species pairs from mediterranean and nonmediterranean environments of North America. New Phytologist 176: 718–726. , , .
- 2006. Drought as an inciting mortality factor in Scots pine stands of the Valais, Switzerland. Ecosystems 9: 330–343. , , , ,
- 2006. Hydraulic efficiency and safety of branch xylem increases with height in Sequoia sempervirens (D. Don) crowns. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 229–239. , , .
- 1982. The ecology of leaf life spans. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13: 229–259. , .
- 2003. Understanding plant responses to drought – from genes to the whole plant. Functional Plant Biology 30: 239–264. , , .
- 2005. Evaluation of a new centrifuge technique for rapid generation of xylem vulnerability curves. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 410–418. , , , , ,
- 2007. Adjustment of structure and function of Hawaiian Metrosideros polymorpha at high vs. low precipitation. Functional Ecology 21: 1063–1071. , , , , .
- 2000. Climate-driven changes in biomass allocation in pines. Global Change Biology 6: 587–593. , , .
- 2008. Predicting the decline in daily maximum transpiration rate of two pine stands during drought based on constant minimum leaf water potential and plant hydraulic conductance. Tree Physiology 28: 265–276. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 19: 207–233. ,
- 2000. Influence of soil porosity on water use in Pinus taeda. Oecologia 124: 495–505. , , , , ,
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 1982. Estimating potential evapotranspiration. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 108: 225–230. , .
- 2003. Pine processionary caterpillar Thaumetopoea pityocampa as a new threat for relict Mediterranean Scots pine forests under climatic warming. Biological Conservation 110: 123–129. , ,
- 2005. Field measurements of ultrasonic acoustic emissions and stem diameter variations. New insight into the relationship between xylem tensions and embolism. Tree Physiology 25: 237–243. , , , , ,
- 2000. Altitude trends in conifer leaf morphology and stable carbon isotope composition. Oecologia 123: 32–40. , .
- 2007a. Xylem density, biomechanics, and anatomical traits correlate with water stress in seventeen evergreen shrub species of the Mediterranean-type climate region of South Africa. Journal of Ecology 95: 171–183. , , , , , .
- 2007b. Cavitation resistance among twenty-six chaparral species of southern California. Ecological Monographs 77: 99–115. , , , .
- 2007. The role of age and size in the physiological ecology of Scots pine and poplar trees. PhD thesis, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, UK.
- 1995. Estimating volume flow rates through xylem conduits. American Journal of Botany 82: 1112–1116. , .
- 2007. Evaluation of centrifugal methods for measuring xylem cavitation in conifers, diffuse- and ring-porous angiosperms. New Phytologist 177: 558–568. , , , , .
- 1997. Geographical pattern in photosynthetic light response of Pinus sylvestris in Europe. Functional Ecology 11: 273–281.
- 2000. Plants as self-organising systems. In: Marshall B, Roberts J, eds. Leaf development and canopy growth. Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Academic Press, 37–58. ,
- 2002. Adjustment of tree structure in response to the environment under hydraulic constraints. Functional Ecology 16: 385–393. , ,
- 2000. Xylem conductivity and vulnerability to cavitation of ponderosa pine growing in contrasting climates. Tree Physiology 20: 859–867. , .
- 2002. Hydraulic differentiation of Ponderosa pine populations along a climate gradient is not associated with ecotypic divergence. Functional Ecology 16: 510–521. , , , .
- 2004. Adaptive variation in the vulnerability of woody plants to xylem cavitation. Ecology 85: 2184–2199. , , .
- 1994. Carbon isotope discrimination and water-use efficiency in native plants of the North-Central Rockies. Ecology 75: 1887–1895. ,
- 2002. Drought-induced mortality and hydraulic architecture in pine populations of the NE Iberian Peninsula. Forest Ecology and Management 161: 247–256. ,
- 2002. Xylem hydraulic properties of roots and stems of nine Mediterranean woody species. Oecologia 133: 19–29. , , ,
- 2004. The hydraulic architecture of Pinaceae – a review. Plant Ecology 171: 3–13. , ,
- 2002. The relationship between tree height and leaf area: sapwood area ratio. Oecologia 132: 12–20. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2001. Leaf/sapwood area ratios in Scots pine show acclimation across Europe. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31: 442–456. ,
- 1997. Vulnerability to cavitation in populations of two desert species, Hymenoclea salsola and Ambrosia dumosa, from different climatic regions. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1323–1334. ,
- 1994. Climate influences the leaf/sapwood area ratio in Scots pine. Tree Physiology 15: 1–10. ,
- 2002. A high-resolution data set of surface climate over global land areas. Climate Research 21: 1–25. , , ,
- 1999. Differential above- and below-ground biomass accumulation of European Pinus sylvestris populations in a 12-year-old provenance experiment. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 14: 7–17. , , , .
- 2003. Nutrient conservation increases with latitude of origin in European Pinus sylvestris populations. Oecologia 136: 220–235. , , , , .
- 1971. The water displacement method: a fast and accurate method of determining the green volume of wood samples. A paper from the Forestry Institute, the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University of Copenhagen. Forest Tree Improvement 3. Copenhagen, Denmark: Akademisk Forlag. .
- 1999. Survey and synthesis of intra- and interspecific variation in stomatal sensitivity to vapour pressure deficit. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1515–1526. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Structural adaptation rather than water conservation was observed in Scots pine over a range of wet to dry climates. Oecologia 121: 302–309. , , , , ,
- 1998. A mathematical and statistical analysis of the curves illustrating vulnerability of xylem to cavitation. Tree Physiology 18: 589–593. ,
- 1996. Correlations between stable carbon-isotope abundance and hydraulic conductivity in Douglas-fir across a climate gradient in Oregon, USA. Tree Physiology 16: 747–755. .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37: 637–669.
- 2008. Tapering of xylem conduits and hydraulic limitations in sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) trees. New Phytologist 177: 653–664. , ,
- 2000. Ecological implications of xylem cavitation for several Pinaceae in the Pacific Northern USA. Functional Ecology 14: 538–545. ,
- 2006. Mechanical reinforcement of tracheids compromises the hydraulic efficiency of conifer xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1618–1628. , , , ,
- 2000. Vulnerability to cavitation and the distribution of Sonoran Desert vegetation. American Journal of Botany 87: 1287–1299. , .
- 2005. Transpiration of montane Pinus sylvestris L. and Quercus pubescens Willd. forest stands measured with sap flow sensors in NE Spain. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 9: 493–505. , ,
- 2007. Plasticity in hydraulic architecture of Scots pine across Eurasia. Oecologia 153: 245–259. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. Response of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) and pubescent oak (Quercus pubescens Willd.) to soil and atmospheric water deficits under Mediterranean mountain climate. Annals of Forest Science 65: 306. , , ,
- 2003. Hydraulic architecture and the evolution of shoot allometry in chaparral shrubs. American Journal of Botany 90: 1502–1512. , .
- 2004. Climate change may already threaten Scots pine stands in the Swiss Alps. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 79: 1–9. ,
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 1993. The effects of site, stand density, and sapwood permeability on the relationship between leaf area and sapwood area in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Forest Ecology and Management 58: 193–209. , , .
- 2002. Water deficits and hydraulic limits to leaf water supply. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 251–263. , , , .
- 2008. Safety and efficiency conflicts in hydraulic architecture: scaling from tissues to trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 632–645. , , .
- 2008. Persisting soil drought reduces leaf specific conductivity in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) and pubescent oak (Quercus pubescens). Tree Physiology 28: 529–536. , , ,
- 1998. Relationship between growth and xylem hydraulic characteristics of clones of Eucalyptus spp. at contrasting sites. Tree Physiology 18: 595–600. , .
- 2001. Water availability and carbon isotope discrimination in conifers. Oecologia 127: 476–486. , , .
- 2006. Land-plant ecology on the basis of functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 261–268. , .
- 1981. Coniferous forests and plantations. In: Kozlowski TT, ed. Water deficits and plant growth. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 49–152. , .
- 1984. Conducting sapwood area, foliage area and permeability in mature trees of Picea sitchensis and Pinus contorta. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 14: 940–947. , , .
- 2004. The world-wide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Stomatal regulation by microclimate and tree water relations: interpreting ecophysiological field data with a hydraulic plant model. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2113–2131. , , .