Multiple genetic loci for zinc uptake and distribution in barley (Hordeum vulgare)
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 1, pages 168–179, October 2009
How to Cite
Lonergan, P. F., Pallotta, M. A., Lorimer, M., Paull, J. G., Barker, S. J. and Graham, R. D. (2009), Multiple genetic loci for zinc uptake and distribution in barley (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist, 184: 168–179. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02956.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2009
- Received: 19 February 2009Accepted: 11 May 2009
- 2004. Seed priming enhances germination and seedling growth of barley under conditions of P and Zn deficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 167: 630–636. , ,
- 2001. Recent tools for the screening of physiological traits determining yield. In: ReynoldsMP, Ortiz-MonasterioJI, McNabA, eds. Application of physiology in wheat breeding. Mexico, DF, Mexico: CIMMYT, 59–77. , ,
- 1997. Differential response of rye, triticale, bread and durum wheats to zinc deficiency in calcareous soils. Plant and Soil 188: 1–10. , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Effect of iron and zinc deficiency on phytosiderophore release in wheat genotypes differing in zinc efficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition 17: 1–17. , , , .
- 1996. Dry matter production and distribution of zinc in bread and durum wheat genotypes differing in zinc efficiency. Plant and Soil 180: 173–181. , , , , , , .
- 1993. BMDP statistical software manual. Berkeley, CA, USA: University of California Press. .
- 2000. Effect of seed zinc content on early growth of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) under low and adequate soil zinc supply. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 51: 37–46. , , .
- 2006. Progress in the genetic understanding of plant iron and zinc nutrition. Physiologia Plantarum 126: 407–417. , , .
- 1998. Nutrition intervention strategies to combat zinc deficiency in developing countries. Nutrition Research Reviews 11: 115–131. , .
- 1997. Accounting for natural and extraneous variation in the analysis of field experiments. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics 2: 1–25. , ,
- 1999. Breeding for micronutrient density in edible portions of staple food crops: conventional approaches. Field Crops Research 60: 57–80. , , , ,
- 1992. Selecting zinc-efficient cereal genotypes for soils of low zinc status. Plant and Soil 146: 241–250. , , .
- 1994. Manganese efficiency is expressed in barley growing in soil system but not in solution culture. Journal of Plant Nutrition 17: 83–95. , , .
- 1999. Mapping of chromosomal regions conferring boron toxicity tolerance in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 98: 1293–1303. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. QGene 4.0, an extensible Java QTL-analysis platform. Bioinformatics 24: 2788–2789. , .
- 2003. Mapping and QTL analysis of the barley population Clipper × Sahara. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 54: 1137–1140. , , , , , , ,
- 1972. Geographic distribution of trace element problems. In: MortveldtJJ, CoxFR, ShumanLM, WelchRM, eds. Micronutrients in agriculture.Madison, WI, USA: Soil Science Society of America Inc., 525–554. , .
- 1994. Genetic analysis of a photoperiod response gene on the short arm of chromosome 2(2H) of Hordeum vulgare (barley). Heredity 72: 619–627. , , , .
- 1995. RFLP mapping of five major genes and eight quantitative trait loci controlling flowering time in a winter × spring barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) cross. Genome 38: 575–585. , , , .
- 2001. Mapping of chromosome regions associated with increased vegetative zinc accumulation using a barley doubled haploid population. In: HorstWJ, SchenkMK, BürkertA, ClaassenN, FlessaH, FrommerWB, GoldbachH, OlfsH-W, RömheldV, SattelmacherB et al ., eds. Plant nutrition – food security and sustainability of agro-ecosystems. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 84–85. , , , .
- 2001. Genetic characterisation and QTL mapping of zinc nutrition in barley (Hordeum vulgare). PhD thesis, Adelaide, SA, Australia: The University of Adelaide. .
- 2001. Map Manager QTX, cross-platform software for genetic mapping. Mammalian Genome 12: 930–932. , , .
- 1993. Micronutrient deficiency – the global situation. SCN News 9: 11–16. ,
- 2008. Biofortified crops to alleviate micronutrient malnutrition. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 166–170. , ,
- 1993. Further evidence that zinc is required throughout the root zone for optimal growth and development. Plant and Soil 150: 247–253. , .
- 1979. A factual key for the recognition of Australian Soils, 4th edn. Adelaide, Australia: Rellim Technical Publications. .
- 1997. Mechanisms of plant resistance to nutrient deficiency stresses. In: BasraAS, BasraRK, eds. Mechanisms of environmental stress resistance in plants. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Harwood Academic Publishers, 213–240. ,
- 2003. Differential metal selectivity and gene expression of two zinc transporters from rice. Plant Physiology 133: 126–134. , , , .
- 1999. Physiological mechanisms underlying differential nutrient efficiency of crop genotypes. In: RengelZ, ed. Mineral nutrition of crops – fundamental mechanisms and implications. Binghamton, NY, USA: Food Products Press, 227–265.
- 1995a. Importance of seed Zn content for wheat growth on Zn-deficient soil. I. Vegetative growth. Plant and Soil 173: 259–266. , .
- 1995b. Importance of seed Zn content for wheat growth on Zn-deficient soil. II. Grain yield. Plant and Soil 173: 267–274. , .
- 1996. Uptake of zinc from chelate-buffered nutrient solutions by wheat genotypes differing in Zn efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 217–226. , .
- 1998. Uptake of zinc and iron by wheat genotypes differing in zinc efficiency. Journal of Plant Physiology 152: 433–438. , ,
- 2008. Mapping of chromosome regions associated with seed zinc accumulation in barley. PhD thesis, Crawley, WA, Australia: The University of Western Australia.
- 1999. Molecular approaches for increasing the micronutrient density in edible portions of food crops. Field Crops Research 60: 81–92. , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 2003. Mycorrhizal fungi can dominate phosphate supply to plants irrespective of growth responses. Plant Physiology 133: 16–20. , ,
- 2007. Boron-toxicity tolerance in barley arising from efflux transporter amplification. Science 318: 1446–1449. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Biosynthesis and secretion of mugineic acid family phytosiderophores in zinc-deficient barley. Plant Journal 48: 85–97. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1993. The distribution and correction of zinc deficiency. In: RobsonAD, ed. Zinc in soils and plants. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 151–165. , .
- 1993. Mapping polygenes. Annual Reviews in Genetics 27: 205–233.
- 2008. Quantitative trait locus mapping for seed mineral concentrations in two Arabidopsis thaliana recombinant inbred populations. New Phytologist 179: 1033–1047. , .
- 1999. A new paradigm for world agriculture: meeting human needs. Productive, sustainable, nutritious. Field Crops Research 60: 1–10. , .
- 1988. Application of different sources of manganese sulfate decreases take-all (Gaeumannomyces graminis var tritici) of wheat grown in a manganese deficient soil. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 39: 1–10. , , .
- 2006. Effects of zinc deficiency on rice growth and genetic factors contributing to tolerance. Plant Physiology 142: 731–741. , ,
- 2000. Engineering the provitamin A (β-carotene) biosynthetic pathway into (carotenoid free) rice endosperm. Science 287: 303–305. , , , , , ,