Quantitative fitness effects of infection in a gene-for-gene system
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 2, pages 485–494, October 2009
How to Cite
Gao, L., Roux, F. and Bergelson, J. (2009), Quantitative fitness effects of infection in a gene-for-gene system. New Phytologist, 184: 485–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02959.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
- Received: 29 April 2009Accepted: 19 May 2009
- 1989. Population genetic structure and outcrossing rate of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Heredity 62: 411–418. , .
- 2006. A genome-wide survey of R gene polymorphisms in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 18: 1803–1818. , , ,
- 1990. Herbivory simulations in ecological research. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 5: 91–93. .
- 1992. Exchange of gene activity in transgenic plants catalysed by the Cre-lox site-specific recombination system. Plant Molecular Biology 18: 353–361. , , , .
- 1993. In planta Agrobacterium mediated gene transfer by infiltration of adult Arabidopsis thaliana plants. Comptes Rendus de l’Académie des Sciences – Series III – Sciences de la Vie/Life Sciences 316: 1194–1199. , ,
- 1994. The effects of genotype and the environment on costs of resistance in lettuce. American Naturalist 143: 349–359.
- 1996. Surveying patterns in the cost of resistance in plants. American Naturalist 148: 536–558. , .
- 2001. Evolutionary dynamics of plant R-genes. Science 292: 2281–2285. , , ,
- 1994. A disease resistance gene in Arabidopsis with specificity for two different pathogen avirulence genes. Plant Cell 6: 927–933. , , , , .
- 1999. Diversity and molecular evolution of the RPS2 resistance gene in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 302–306. , , .
- 2006. Genetic variation and covariation for resistance and tolerance to Cucumber mosaic virus in Mimulus guttatus (Phrymaceae): a test for costs and constraints. Heredity 96: 29–38. , , .
- 2001. Plant pathogens and integrated defence responses to infection. Nature 411: 826–833. , .
- 1992. Functional homologs of the Arabidopsis RPM1 disease resistance gene in bean and pea. Plant Cell 4: 1359–1369. , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Niche construction through germination cueing: life-history responses to timing of germination in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 59: 771–785. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Host genotype and population structure in the interaction between Arabidopsis thaliana and its natural bacterial pathogens. PhD thesis, University of Chicago, IL, USA, 157.
- 1995. Tradeoff between resistance and tolerance to herbivore damage in a morning glory. Nature 377: 517–520. , .
- 1971. Current status of the gene-for-gene concept. Annual Review of Phytopathology 9: 275–296. .
- 2000. Evolutionary ecology of Datura stramonium: genetic variation and costs for tolerance to defoliation. Evolution 54: 789–797. ,
- 2006. Variation in resistance and virulence in the interaction between Arabidopsis thaliana and a bacterial pathogen. Evolution 60: 1562–1573. ,
- 2007. Fitness consequences of pathogen infection of Arabidopsis thaliana with its natural bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas viridiflava. Oecologia 152: 71–81. ,
- 2005. Genotypic variation in tolerance and resistance to fouling in the brown alga Fucus vesiculosus. Oecologia 144: 196–205. ,
- 2002. Pseudomonas viridiflava and P. syringae – natural pathogens of Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 1195–1203. , , , , ,
- 1992. Host–pathogen interactions in natural populations of Linum marginale and Melampsora lini. III. Influence of pathogen epidemics on host survivorship and flower production. Oecologia 89: 53–61. , .
- 1995. Effects of disease in wild plant populations and the evolution of pathogen aggressiveness. New Phytologist 129: 371–387. , .
- 1991. Gene-for-gene interactions between Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola and Phaseolus. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 4: 553–562. , , , , ,
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 1990. Gene-for-gene complementarity in plant-pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Genetics 24: 447–463. .
- 2006. Environmental variation mediates the deleterious effects of Coleosporium ipomoeae on Ipomoea purpurea. Ecology 87: 675–685. , .
- 2007. Salicylic acid and jasmonic acid signaling defense pathways reduce natural bacterial diversity on Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 1512–1522. , ,
- 2004. A novel cost of R gene resistance in the presence of disease. The American Naturalist 163: 489–504. ,
- 2003. A developmental response to pathogen infection in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 133: 339–347. ,
- 2002. Resistance and tolerance in a host plant–holoparasitic plant interaction: genetic variation and costs. Evolution 56: 899–908. , , ,
- 2002. Genetic variation for disease resistance and tolerance among Arabidopsis thaliana accessions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 11270–11274. , .
- 2005. Genetic architecture of Arabidopsis thaliana response to infection by Pseudomonas syringae. Heredity 94: 507–517. , , , .
- 1993. RPS2, an Arabidopsis disease resistance locus specifying recognition of Pseudomonas syringae strains expressing the avirulence gene avrRpt2. Plant Cell 5: 865–875. , , , , .
- 2006. A meta-analysis of genetic correlations between plant resistances to multiple enemies. American Naturalist 168: E15–E37. ,
- 1998. Induction of overcompensation in the field gentian, Gentianella campestris. Ecology 79: 1061–1072. , ,
- 1995. Thermal asymmetric interlaced PCR: automatable amplification and sequencing of insert end fragments from P1 and YAC clones for chromosome walking. Genomics 25: 674–681. , .
- 1993. Arabidopsis as a model host for studying plant–pathogen interactions. Trends in Microbiology 1: 265–270. , .
- 1998. Costs of resistance to natural enemies in field populations of the annual plant Arabidopsis thaliana. The American Naturalist 151: 20–28.
- 1997. Experimental manipulation of putative selective agents provides evidence for the role of natural enemies in the evolution of plant defense. Evolution 51: 1435–1444. , .
- 1997. Variation in the defense strategies of plants: are resistance and tolerance mutually exclusive? Ecology 78: 1301–1311. , , .
- 2003. Natural selection for polymorphism in the disease resistance gene Rps2 of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 163: 735–746. , , , , ,
- 1993. The effects of a rust infection on fitness components in a natural population of Tolumnia variegata (Orchidaceae). Oecologia 94: 361–367. , .
- 1995. A system for insertional mutagenesis and chromosomal rearrangement using the Ds transposon and Cre-lox. Plant Journal 7: 687–701. , ,
- 1999. The effects of pathogen infection and mutation on life-history characters in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12: 460–470. .
- 2004. Direct and ecological costs of resistance and tolerance in the stinging nettle. Oecologia 139: 76–82. , ,
- 2004. Concurrent evolution of resistance and tolerance to pathogens. American Naturalist 164: E90–E102. , .
- 2004. The maintenance of extreme amino acid diversity at the disease resistance gene, RPP13, in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 166: 1517–1527. , , , , , .
- 2004. The dominance of the herbicide resistance cost in several Arabidopsis thaliana mutant lines. Genetics 166: 449–460. , ,
- 1994. Costs and benefits of plant responses to disease: resistance and tolerance. Evolution 48: 1973–1985. ,
- 1995. A disease resistance gene in Arabidopsis with specificity for the avrPph3 gene of Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicola. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 8: 637–640. , .
- 1999. Dynamics of disease resistance polymorphism at the Rpm1 locus of Arabidopsis. Nature 400: 667–671. , , , ,
- 1995. Molecular genetics of plant disease resistance. Science 268: 661–667. , , , , .
- 1995. Single-step protocol for preparation of plant tissue for analysis by PCR. BioTechniques 3: 394–400. ,
- 2002. The evolution of gene-for-gene interactions: consequences of variation in host and pathogen dispersal. Plant Pathology 51: 169–184. , .
- 2002. Signature of balancing selection in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 11525–11530. , , , ,
- 2003. Fitness costs of R-gene-mediated resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 423: 74–77. , , , ,
- 1999. Genetic constraints and selection acting on tolerance to herbivory in the common morning glory Ipomea purpurea. The American Naturalist 154: 700–716. , .
- 2003. High-throughput TILLING for functional genomics. Methods in Molecular Biology 236: 205–220. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. SAR increases fitness of Arabidopsis thaliana in the presence of natural bacterial pathogens. Evolution 61: 2444–2449. , ,